PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! Big Ben in a Bills trade up?

Dozerdog
04-13-2004, 11:14 PM
BearcatMania04Post subject: April 12, 2004 New draft news

Hello everyone. Sorry, my responses have been few but travel has kept me busy. I've spent time recently with Jacksonville, New England, and Cleveland consulting on draft scenarios. I will try and get to yoru questions this morning before I'm off on the road again to Miami.

Anyway on to what I feel may be the most surprising news to date concernignthe draft. First, let me start by saying the Washington to Oakland trade talk is strictly scenario maneuvering by Washington. Washington has been in contact with San Diego officials for more than a week now discussing trade parameters. This os course has gone unreported because Washington and San Diego signed an agreement prior to discussions that has monetary ramifications for both parties if the trade is leaked. How do I know of such trade talk. Well, let's just say I was a witness to the discussions and I was not forced to sign any agreement nor was I under contract by either team. I'm reporting this to you because my retirement is finalized and ramifications to me are minimal at this point.

So here's how the deal breaks down. As I reported to you several weeks ago Cris Samuels and his agent are refusiing to renegoiate Cris's contract. Samuel's agent just so happens to be the agent for Patirck Ramsey. As you may already know Ramsey and Samuel's agent Jimmy Secton refused to renegotiate Cris's contract as protest for Snyder signing Brunell. The media has reproted that Ramsey and Gibbs patched up there differences. This is as far from the truth as possible. In fact Sexton is still protesting Brunell's signing per Ramsey by not renegotiating Cris's contract.

So for about the last month Mr. Secton has been talking with coach Schottenheimer regarding Patrick and Cris. Marty is more than intrigued with both players. Sexton had dinner with Snyder and Gibbs recently to relate to them that he had opened the door for trade talks with San Diego for the 1st overall pick. Washington preceeded to meet with San Diego officials at a private club in Palm Beach, Ca. I was present at these some waht tense discussions. Snyder came in with his guns loaded by offerring Samuels, #5, and a 2005 2nd round pick. Well, let's just say Jimmy Sexton didn't take this well and preceeded to verbally attack Snyder in front of everyone.

Sexton demanded that Ramsey and Samuel's be part of a packaged deal for the #1 overall pick. Snyder not knowing that Sexton has already come to preliminary contract agreements with San Diego for both players. The meeting broke up and both clubs needed some time to think. The next day we were back at it by 8:00 a.m. with San Diego making an initial offer to Washington of the #1 overall pick + Drew Brees for Samuel's, Ramsey, #5 overall, and a 2005 tbd.

Snyder balked at any future consideration picks arguing that Samuels was a prior 1st rounder and Ramsey a 2nd rounder. San Diego responded that Brees for Ramsey was a straight trade but that the #5 + Samuel's for the overall #1 left a trade diferential of 300 points. Snyder didn't care and essentially said take it or leave it. The next day back in Washington Snyder decided he could play hardball with San Diego by contacting Oakland. San Diego has taken notice and from what I'm hearing will agree to a trade on draft day only. Snyder responded that contract negotiations must take place with Samuels and Ramsey to only find out that San Diego had already completed this step. Snyder was not pleased that he had been black balled by Sexton.

So where this all stands according to San Diego is a likelyhood that the trade will occur. However, I would not be surprised if Snyder tries something to aggravate Sexton. Teh two variable here though are that one Snyder has no idea who San Diego intended to take at #1. Second, Sexton can throw a wrench in any trade Snyder makes that he doesn't like. San Diego to may just threaten to take Gallery #1 forcing Snyder's hand. For once I don't see Snyder winning this duel as he's been backed into a corner. Additionally. Gibbs has made it known that he does not want disgruntled players on his team. On a side note Gibbs and Drew's dad are pretty close and have discussed Drew's future.

On to other news as if you need more after that. Buffalo is maneuverign to get in place to draft Ben Roetlisberger. Buffalo seems to believe Roethlisberger may be availabel at #9 which just so happens to belong to Jacksonville. Buffalo picks #13 while the Steelers pick #11. Malarky knows as a former Steeler that Rooney and company are high on Roethlisberger and will select him if he's avalaible. Buffalo is making contact with clubs to move ahead of Pittsburgh to draft Roethlisberger. A deal would not happen until draft day once Buffalo knows Roethlisberger falls from the top 5. They will not move up to the top 5 to draft him as they feel the price is too steep. Pittsburgh has to now made no indications that it will move up for any one player. Stay tuned.

Arizona would like to one of these two players to be avaliable at #3. Larry Fitzgerald or Sean Taylor.

Cleveland has a mess on its hands with the Northcutt and Couch situation. If the Davis was such a moron both of these players would have been traded by now. Unfortunately, Butch has a lot of control and has so far blown three possible trades up himself. Time is runnign short for Cleveland to put themseleves in great postion for the 2004 draft. We will find out soon who is the real boss in Cleveland as a few teams are still trying to obtain these players. For the record San Diego will not even consider Northcutt in a trade as Davis's verball assault on them has left a bad taste in San Diego's mouth. Additionally, any deal with St. Louis for Pace is off the table as well. Take a guess who screwed this up by releasing key numbers of a contract to St. Louis because he has no idea how to keep his mouth shut. I sure hope Cleveland gets it act in gear and takes Butch out of al trade or contract talks.

As a part time consultant to Cincinnati it was my firm that suggested the D. O'Neal trade to Cincinnati. This trade was suggested as early as March 1st. I'm happy to see that Cincinnati made a wise move. O'Neal has everything Lewis and Frsier look for in a corner. He will flourish under Frasier's tutorage. As i've said previously Shanahan's impatience with defense is his achilees heel. Denver has never had a quality secondary coach under Mike who can develop and motivate players. Jimmy Spencer is a thug which si why his teaching shows no results. Denver moved up in hopes of landing a starting OLB.

Unfortunately, for them DJ Williams will be gone,but they may have a shot at Karlos Dansby. Cincinnati moving back was in hopes of landing Jake Grove at #24. They need some depth behind Braham in 2004 and a future starter for 2005. They may also have interest in Cris Gamble or Wil Poole at #24 as well. Lewis is high on Gamble but felt #17 was too high for him. If Cincinnati grabs a DB at #24 they will focus on grabbing Alex Stoponavich G/C Ohio State in round #3.
Any players is really an option at #24 for Cincinnati. Lewis needs depth at LB and in the secondary as well as at center.

http://www.sportsrumormill.com/viewtopic.php?p=157942&highlight=#157942

The Spaz
04-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Well the guy can' t spell but that would be very intriguing as long as the price isn't too steep to get the #9 spot.

The Natrix
04-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Doze, you should gather all his predictions and convert them to summary form. That way we can see how much he really knows. If he (or she) is wrong on most of them, next year at this time we can simply move any posts with his predictions to the spam forum.

juice
04-13-2004, 11:21 PM
I hope they do something.. Loosman wont be there in the second for us.

The Spaz
04-13-2004, 11:24 PM
My sources are reporting Lurie being heavily interested in Owens with Reid not very interested. I expect you will see Philadelphia make a run a Jackson. If they fail to land Jackson then you will see them approach McCareins. Lurie's patience is running out though which might be the final say. I expect you will see T.O. land in Baltimore.-BearcatMania04

http://www.sportsrumormill.com/viewtopic.php?t=10425&highlight=

Romes
04-13-2004, 11:33 PM
I'd trade up to get Big Ben if the price is right... I'd give up a 2nd round pick to move up to #9 for Ben

The Natrix
04-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Romes
I'd trade up to get Big Ben if the price is right... I'd give up a 2nd round pick to move up to #9 for Ben

No way. That's nutty. If Ben and presumably Rivers are there at #9, obviously one will be there at #13.

I'd rather have Rivers and a Lee Evans than just Roeth.

If Rivers and Manning are gone, moving up to #9 isn't nutty, but still not worth giving up a second.

Dozerdog
04-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Well- he exposed his identity today-

My name sense Bulldog knows is James Frederick Brandt. I'm 67 years old and reside in Dayton, Ohio with my lovely wife. I have four children all grown and married. I'm a grandather to 8 grandchildren. My NFL agent # is 4391 and my official consultant # is 4569. I have worked in football for over 45 years. I was an assistant to Coach Paul Brown in 1961. My job at the time was to be his personal assistant to say. The next year he gave me the job of consultant. My job then became to see and understand what other organizations were doing. Well enough you don't want to hear some long biography.

Maybe Ingtar heard of him?

Dozerdog
04-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
No way. That's nutty. If Ben and presumably Rivers are there at #9, obviously one will be there at #13.

If Rivers and Manning are gone, moving up to #9 isn't nutty, but still not worth giving up a second.

Rivers will be a Charger, probably selected with the 5th pick

Demon
04-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Is it me or does that site appear to pump like thousands of different rumours each day? Oviously one of these days they will get one right.....

Dozerdog
04-13-2004, 11:54 PM
I beleive with the name "Sports Rumor Mill" that it would be their function.

It's filtering out the crap (99% by content) to find the worthy 1%.

I don't know. i read all 175 posts by this person, and it seems to me that it's just to hard for him to make this crap up.

But- it costs nothing to cut & paste and speculate.

Romes
04-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

Originally posted by Dozerdog
Rivers will be a Charger, probably selected with the 5th pick

Yeah, assuming that both Rivers and Ben are still there it would be a dumb trade but if they aren't, like the rumors suggest. Then it would be a good trade, IMO.

Romes
04-14-2004, 12:00 AM
I beleive with the name "Sports Rumor Mill" that it would be their function.

It's filtering out the crap (99% by content) to find the worthy 1%.

I don't know. i read all 175 posts by this person, and it seems to me that it's just to hard for him to make this crap up.

Its better than that profootballtalk.com crap for sure.

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 12:04 AM
I can see Detroit trading down too. They wand a RB but they feel that the 6th spot is too high to take one- or pay for one. If Taylor, Gallery, Manning , Rivers, Fitz, and Roy W are off the board, I can see it happening- I just hope the othe rrumors about interest in Winslow aren't true.

But it would prevent Big Ben from going to Cleveland- he did play in Ohio

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 12:06 AM
I STILL say, let whoever drop drop and if none do, then trade down. I don't want to give up a second rounder for Roethlisberger no matter HOW good he seems. That would be last year's first for a guy who didn't help at all last year and this years first and second for a guy who won't help this year in all likelihood and possibly not help for two or three years. I just can't see it happening and I would be upset if it did.

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
I STILL say, let whoever drop drop and if none do, then trade down. I don't want to give up a second rounder for Roethlisberger no matter HOW good he seems. That would be last year's first for a guy who didn't help at all last year and this years first and second for a guy who won't help this year in all likelihood and possibly not help for two or three years. I just can't see it happening and I would be upset if it did.

Not even for a Jim Kelly- like talent who can run?

Great arm- I'd lean toward doing it-

mypoorfriendme
04-14-2004, 12:08 AM
the only thing about any football rumor though, is that not even the GM's know what theyre going to do. with the redskins trading with the chargers...there could be someone that moves up to 3 for all we know and could change anything...or someone that on draft day, pulls something out of no where and steals the chargers attention.

about the bills trading up to 9, im all for it if the price is right; im hoping it wont cost us many picks this year...maybe we could deal away a player or next years third or something. this draft is too deep to be giving away picks.
ideally, all of our targets would be gone (sounds ironic) and we could trade down to the mid 20's and pick up another second rounder. you have to realize most of these second rounders would be a first in almost any other draft. wow i cant wait til april 24

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
the only thing about any football rumor though, is that not even the GM's know what theyre going to do. with the redskins trading with the chargers...there could be someone that moves up to 3 for all we know and could change anything...or someone that on draft day, pulls something out of no where and steals the chargers attention.

about the bills trading up to 9, im all for it if the price is right; im hoping it wont cost us many picks this year...maybe we could deal away a player or next years third or something. this draft is too deep to be giving away picks.
ideally, all of our targets would be gone (sounds ironic) and we could trade down to the mid 20's and pick up another second rounder. you have to realize most of these second rounders would be a first in almost any other draft. wow i cant wait til april 24

I would not be upset if that happened either.

It is almost impossible to screw up this draft

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 12:19 AM

Not even for a Jim Kelly- like talent who can run?

Great arm- I'd lean toward doing it-

There are just too many QB can't miss prospects that miss badly. I don't like to bring him up but we gave up a first and fourth for a can't miss player who had actually done something in the NFL. Then we gave up a third for a QB that didn't like to study the playbook if he wasn't starting, then another number 1 for a QB that many on here want to discard because he makes too much. As the other guys said, this draft is supposedly too deep to give up draft picks to move up for a player who won't help this year. I don't mind if they draft a QB with the first pick, I just don't want to see them waste extra picks on him.

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 12:33 AM
I think comparing what Big Ben did at school with what RJ did at school is a farce- thankfully TD has a much better eye for talent than Butler did in his last years here.

I saw in Bills digest a list of the past 4 drafts, 3 by TD and 1 by Butler (2000)

I think only 1 player is still in the NFL from the 2000 draft, while about 80% of TD's choices are still in the NFL.

RedEyE
04-14-2004, 12:38 AM
It would really suprise me to see the Bills move up in the first round of the draft. TD thinks giving away draft picks is worse than giving away his first born. I think that they stay put and grab the talent that falls to the 13th slot. That does not mean they aren't high on Rothlisberger, it simply means that if all 3 QBs are gone in the top ten, the talent at the 13th level just increased. If both QBs (Big Ben & Rivers) are availble at the 10 spot, most likely they will have a shot at one of them. I like the Bills drafting position. I think they get one of the first shots at top ten leftovers for less money.

I can't remember any other time that the Bills made an attempt to move up in the first round of a draft.

Romes
04-14-2004, 01:17 AM
How much would it cost to move up from #13 to #9? Could we do it for a 3rd rounder and a day 2 pick. I really like the idea of going WR in the second round.

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Maybe a #2 Next year?

Romes
04-14-2004, 01:40 AM
I'd give up a #2 next year to move up

juice
04-14-2004, 01:54 AM
Maybe a #2 Next year?

seems like it might cost more than that but I would do it also.

BillsFever
04-14-2004, 01:55 AM
No way they would take a #2 next year to move down. There would be other teams willing to move up and give them stuff for this year.

Mr. Cynical
04-14-2004, 02:30 AM
All I know is that "Roethlisberger" ain't gonna fit on his jersey unless they use 10pt font. ;)

B-DON
04-14-2004, 03:19 AM
as long as we dont have to give up a second rounder this year or a first rounder next year

Earthquake Enyart
04-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by kal123
All I know is that "Roethlisberger" ain't gonna fit on his jersey unless they use 10pt font. ;)

They fit "Schottenheimer" on it years ago. It went from elbow to elbow. :ee:

justasportsfan
04-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Don't tell Mikey. You know how excited that guy get's. Tat and co. this thread may make Mikey richer.

Tatonka
04-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Don't tell Mikey. You know how excited that guy get's. Tat and co. this thread may make Mikey richer.

we will just see about that.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

we will just see about that.

Also if we don't get "Big Ben" then it assures a shot at one of the Williams WR's.:snicker::beer:

Michael82
04-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Hmm, this is a very interesting scenario. I like it! :up:

Pride
04-14-2004, 08:38 AM

To be technical, you copy and pasted! :jk:

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 08:47 AM
I think comparing what Big Ben did at school with what RJ did at school is a farce- thankfully TD has a much better eye for talent than Butler did in his last years here.

I saw in Bills digest a list of the past 4 drafts, 3 by TD and 1 by Butler (2000)

I think only 1 player is still in the NFL from the 2000 draft, while about 80% of TD's choices are still in the NFL.

I did not want to leave you with the impression that I was compairing Ben with RJ, just the fact that we gave up multiple picks for him. Again, I reiterate, I have no problem drafting a QB with the first pick (although I will be a little depressed if it is Rivers) I just don't want to see our second go for the same pick as well, when there may be a guy like Grove, Snee, Woods, Henderson, Clayton, Losman left.

mightyspaz
04-14-2004, 08:47 AM
That is gonna be a long ass name on the back of a jersey. I still can't pronounce it. That's the longest QB last name since Majakowski. 4 - 7 letters is where it's at, Kelly, Farve, Marino, Montana, Unitas. Let's Keep it short Fellas.

This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever posted. Honestly, It took me longer to think of it then type it.

THATHURMANATOR
04-14-2004, 09:00 AM
I would love if we could pull this off!