PDA

View Full Version : Travis Henry on the clock

juice
04-14-2004, 12:59 AM
There have been statements by the Bills Brass that QB is a priority position in the draft... Yet it seems that the Big 3 QB's might be long gone by our #13 pick. Should we try to trade up to a higher pick and give up a #2 or #3... Many have said that this draft is too deep to give up draftpicks.

Loseman probably wont be there when we pick in the second so how is the future QB riddle going to be solved without giving up picks?

That's right the old PICK AND ROLL... PICK your most valuable yet expendable Player and ROLL with him as your draftday tradebait.

If SD and NY make the swap that everyone has said might get Rivers for SD and Manning for NY then the only way to Guarantee a shot at Big Ben is to try and get that #6 spot from Detroit without using valuable picks.

Offer T. Henry for that #6 and whatever swap of picks will get us the #6 and the most picks.. Maybe Henry for the 6 and a 3rd rder. A Pro Bowl caliber RB is the one thing we can offer the Lions that Pitts. cant... and we stand to gain picks in the deal.

Or we can go into the season with a ready-made RB controversy and maybe without a future franchise QB.

TD said to get ready for the period from FA to the Draft, he said it would make last years moves seem tame and he certainly hasn't done that yet.

By mentioning that QB is a priority Bills Brass effectivly sent a message out to other GM's that they are looking to deal up in the Draft, They put Henry on the market with no official word, In case they have to go plan B.

Trading up to #9 or so might not be the move to get your true future franchise QB.

TD likes to be dramatic.. I think he moves Henry to try and get more picks.

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Henry's not going anywhere-

You call it controversy-

Most call it "Competition"

juice
04-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Henry's not going anywhere-

Not Even a possibility? Dog humor me , how can we get a QB in this Draft and a top flight WR...Its gonna take picks that we dont have right now.

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Not this year- It would be absolutely foolish

juice
04-14-2004, 01:29 AM
So would missing the playoffs again, Its going to take a few extra pick to improve from that 6-10 cellar-dweller... If some type of move isn't made I dont see us filling the two biggest voids on the team, QB or WR.

We'll miss Losman and there is a talent and size dropoff at wr after Rd 1. in round 2 your dealing with a 3 year project like Josh Reed and his case is still out for review.

We need a WR who can contribute this year.. Maybe not Start but contribute.

BillsFever
04-14-2004, 01:41 AM
We won't ever get as much for Henry as we will this year. If Donahoe can get good value for him that can improve our team for the future then I'm all for it.

juice
04-14-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
We won't ever get as much for Henry as we will this year. If Donahoe can get good value for him that can improve our team for the future then I'm all for it.

He could get that #6 pick.. TD already has a working relationship with Detroit from the Gary deal last year.

BillsFever
04-14-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by juice
He could get that #6 pick.. TD already has a working relationship with Detroit from the Gary deal last year.

We could even trade a 2nd rounder and a future pick if needed to trade up to get Rothlesberger. Then we could try and trade Henry to Dallas or Philly for their 1st round pick.

Anyone who thinks Henry is worth anymore then the 15th pick or so is crazy. Very average blocking, speed and receiving skills. He's not the all around RB that people will give up a ton for. There will be plenty of RB's to come out just as good as he is over the next couple years.

juice
04-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
We could even trade a 2nd rounder and a future pick if needed to trade up to get Rothlesberger. Then we could try and trade Henry to Dallas or Philly for their 1st round pick.

Anyone who thinks Henry is worth anymore then the 15th pick or so is crazy. Very average blocking, speed and receiving skills. He's not the all around RB that people will give up a ton for. There will be plenty of RB's to come out just as good as he is over the next couple years.

Agreed but he's also strong and is a proven 1300 yd back over the past 3or 4 seasons.

BillsFever
04-14-2004, 02:00 AM
I agree with you there but no way in hell the Lions would give us the 6th pick in the draft alone for Henry.

It's not very hard to go for 1,300 yards with 300+ carries for a RB anymore.

juice
04-14-2004, 02:08 AM
Yeah but they wont get anything near that type production from the Draft this year and they know Travis will play hurt.

Mr. Cynical
04-14-2004, 02:25 AM
The one thing I agree with is that TH's trade value will never be higher than it is right now. Unless WM is a bust, TH won't get as many carries this year as he did last year, and thus won't be able to show his value as much. And the following year he'll be gone as a FA.

But this is still a fantasy. Nothing I've heard so far leads me to believe we'd get anything more than a 2nd rounder for him straight up. Even with a #13 in the mix, I highly doubt we'd get in the top 6.

B-DON
04-14-2004, 03:24 AM
please dont trade him wtf is wrong with 2 runningbacks. i think the competition between each other to prove that the other one is better is only going to make each one that much more dangerous

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Not Even a possibility? Dog humor me , how can we get a QB in this Draft and a top flight WR...Its gonna take picks that we dont have right now.

We don't have picks?

Reads the paper- we have a pick in every round minus the 6th, 2 7ths....

This draft goes deep into the 3rd round with guys who will start in this league at WR within 3 seasons - 10-15 guys. Deepest draft at WR in history.

This obsession to grab one early (if the Big 3 are gone) instead of filling a need position (that is NOT DEEP- Like OL or DE) just amazes me.

It's not madden football where you need guys woth s "95" speed rating at the skill positions.

You can get a Cotchery, Morton, Darling in Rd 3 or 4- and there is still depth well beyond that- Berrian, others......But if you are looking for a Guard or DE in the later rounds- you are looking at some real projects

juice
04-14-2004, 10:41 AM
We need more picks on day 1... What if Henry gets hurt this year or worse catches fumblitis again... "His value will never be higher than it is right now" Right now you can move him as a Pro Bowl caliber back but next year when his #s are cut in half so will his League Value be cut.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 10:47 AM
We need more picks on day 1... What if Henry gets hurt this year or worse catches fumblitis again... "His value will never be higher than it is right now" Right now you can move him as a Pro Bowl caliber back but next year when his #s are cut in half so will his League Value be cut.

We have Henry signed through 2005 and he isn't making hardly anything for a starting RB so it's no big deal.

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-14-2004, 10:53 AM
The thing that scares me is that if MaGahee shines this season and becomes the featured back Henry will have practically no trade value.

Dantheman1280
04-14-2004, 11:02 AM
so then we trade willis

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 11:03 AM
I still don't see why Henry's value won't be any higher than it is right now. With improved blocking from McNally's coached offensive line, a bigger commitment to the run and an injury free season, what's to say that Henry's numbers can't approach 1,800 to 2,000 yards? I think a commitment to the run and an improved offense will net 30 to 35 rushing attempts a game with Travis getting 20 to 25 of them. That is 1280 to 1600 yards for the year at 4 yards a carry which is less than he averaged last year.

superbills
04-14-2004, 11:31 AM
If we improve our draft position into the top 5 or 6 and Sean Taylor is still on the board, then you HAVe to grab that guy. Best player in the draft IMO. Forgett QB and WR, Taylor is a franchise player GUARANTEED. I know, I know. There are no guarantees, blah blah blah. Taylor is the real deal. We would be foolish to pass on him if he's there after (if) we move up.

BillsFanCupp38
04-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Henry is staying right here in Buffalo, this i promise you. Willis hasnt even proved him self to be a good runningback in the NFL. Plus lets say you do trade henry and McGahee blows out his knee again in preseason, then who are you left with... Joe Burns. Maybe in years to come i could see Henry getting traded because of McGahee doing a superb job, but not for a while and not on draft day.

Jan Reimers
04-14-2004, 11:56 AM
While I would like one each of the top 4 QBs and the top 4 receivers, I don't think trading Henry is the way to do it. Willis is simply too much of a question mark at this time.

I think we could trade down to get Losman later in the 1st, and still get a Jenkins, Evans, or Henderson - 3 of the speed WRs in this draft - in round 2.

BillsFanCupp38
04-14-2004, 11:57 AM

This draft has so much depth for both WR and QB's. I just read a thing on this website saying there comparing this reciever class to the one of 96 and comparing the QB's to the class of 99. Dont tell me its gonna take picks we aint got.

TedMock
04-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
I still don't see why Henry's value won't be any higher than it is right now. With improved blocking from McNally's coached offensive line, a bigger commitment to the run and an injury free season, what's to say that Henry's numbers can't approach 1,800 to 2,000 yards? I think a commitment to the run and an improved offense will net 30 to 35 rushing attempts a game with Travis getting 20 to 25 of them. That is 1280 to 1600 yards for the year at 4 yards a carry which is less than he averaged last year.

Good points but what if McGahee ends up the better back? Half way through the season Henry could be getting 10-15 carries with WM starting. This is not what I'm predicting but it's a possibility. If WM shows that he's his old explosive self, Henry will get fewer carries. His trade value is higher now than it will be if McGahee's 100%. This is very interesting. I personally don't want Henry traded at least until we know WM's 100% but it sure will make for a lively message board!

juice
04-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
but it sure will make for a lively message board!

:mex: Mental Elevation

McBFLO
04-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey people, what about this scenario. I dont think either TH or wM are going anywhere this year. Having said that, one of them WILL be gone after this season as the result of some kind of trade. I think we take this year's first rounder and next years either 1st or 2nd and trade those 2 picks (doesn't even have to be Detroit, as long as we're ahead of Pitt) to move up and take Philip Rivers. After trading one of our RBs after this year, we'll get at least a 2nd rounder back, possibly a 1st rounder. And, we have our franchise QB of future. If we do trade to Detroit, they get Steven Jackson at #13.
The more I think about it, the more I think we're going to move up. That's exactly why the Bills haven't signed Kordell yet. They're holding out to see if they can get either Big Ben or Rivers. If we get one of them (especially Rivers since he seems to be more prepared to step in right away), we won't need to sign such a high profile backup like Kordell. A guy like Doug Johnson could come in and be our #3 with the rookie being #2.

The Quebecer
04-14-2004, 01:19 PM
On Draft Day, TD will be waiting for the phone to ring and "IF" the offer is "what he is looking for, for THE BILLS", he will do it!
No player is irreplaceable...

Keep the faith!

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by TedMock

Good points but what if McGahee ends up the better back? Half way through the season Henry could be getting 10-15 carries with WM starting. This is not what I'm predicting but it's a possibility. If WM shows that he's his old explosive self, Henry will get fewer carries. His trade value is higher now than it will be if McGahee's 100%. This is very interesting. I personally don't want Henry traded at least until we know WM's 100% but it sure will make for a lively message board!

I can't disagree with this. I would love it if McGahee beats out a healthy Henry, that would mean, IMO, that he is all the way back and an awsome back. That would also mean that we would be winning ballgames and maybe in the playoffs. If that is the case, then having Henry be devalued would be the last thing on my mind.

Just remember, with a healthy Henry, his price isn't going to be driven up or down by how good he is this year, it will be driven by how many teams are willing to trade for him.

TedMock
04-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths

Just remember, with a healthy Henry, his price isn't going to be driven up or down by how good he is this year, it will be driven by how many teams are willing to trade for him.

Excellent point. Ya know, it's too bad Washington picked up Portis. They probably would've given us the #5 pick for him. Now that would be worth it! I wonder now, if Detroit offers their pick for Henry (doubt it) should we take it? We'd have a top 10 pick to do what we want with. Maybe even trade down and pick up an extra second in the process. Endless possibilities. On the other hand, I'm sooo excited to see these two on the field at the same time.

Novacane
04-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
please dont trade him wtf is wrong with 2 runningbacks.

If he moved Henry TD would probably draft an RB in round 2. I would rather play it safe and keep Travis but TD has gambled before. If Travis were traded it would not shock me.

juice
04-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
If he moved Henry TD would probably draft an RB in round 2. I would rather play it safe and keep Travis but TD has gambled before. If Travis were traded it would not shock me.

You could even get Clarett in the 3rd or 4th if we had to sure up some other positions such as OL or DE.

I could see this situation with 2 RBs being a distraction before I could see everyone living in harmony. Henry's first reaction to the Draft last year is probably closer to his truer feelings.

The thought of having them both on the field at the same time doesn't intrigue me as much as the thought of getting a pick or two extra in this years talent rich Draft.

baalworship
04-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Although I love Travis Henry his value will probably go down next year. As great as this draft is, runningbacks are pretty weak. Lenny P (probably got his info from his boy Donahoe) said ALL the backs this year are 2nd rounders. He said Steven Jackson is big but not very elusive, etc. Next years draft should be loaded at RB.

It will be much harder to unload Henry with one year left on his contract AND a draft full of premium runningbacks in 2005. If we want to get value for Henry this is the time. Keeping him is less risky for our record in 2004 but is MUCH riskier in the prospect of getting value for Henry. Add to this how great this draft is and if there is an offer in the top 15 for Henry, move him!

juice
04-14-2004, 08:57 PM
It will be even harder to unload him if he is splitting carries with WM.

thefixer74
04-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38
Henry is staying right here in Buffalo, this i promise you. Willis hasnt even proved him self to be a good runningback in the NFL. Plus lets say you do trade henry and McGahee blows out his knee again in preseason, then who are you left with... Joe Burns. Maybe in years to come i could see Henry getting traded because of McGahee doing a superb job, but not for a while and not on draft day.

Right,We don't know if Willis can stay healthy,keep them both.:shake:

thefixer74
04-15-2004, 11:59 AM

You could even get Clarett in the 3rd or 4th if we had to sure up some other positions such as OL or DE.

I could see this situation with 2 RBs being a distraction before I could see everyone living in harmony. Henry's first reaction to the Draft last year is probably closer to his truer feelings.

The thought of having them both on the field at the same time doesn't intrigue me as much as the thought of getting a pick or two extra in this years talent rich Draft.

Clarett,the big headed crybaby Mama' boy who couldn't stay healthy for his one year he played.The one who cried every time he got hit in his bad shoulder.And keep the unproven RB who might not make it through the year healthy.Trade Henry,the one who has the biggest heart who played with a broken leg and torn rib cartilage and still ran for 1356 yards and 10tds in 15 games.Keep Henry.:monkey: Trade

juice
04-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by thefixer74
Clarett,the big headed crybaby Mama' boy who couldn't stay healthy for his one year he played.The one who cried every time he got hit in his bad shoulder.And keep the unproven RB who might not make it through the year healthy.Trade Henry,the one who has the biggest heart who played with a broken leg and torn rib cartilage and still ran for 1356 yards and 10tds in 15 games.Keep Henry.:monkey: Trade

Was that the year he led his team to the National Championship...He's just one of many above average and capable RB that will make it to RD 3 and could provide insurance behind WM in a backup capacity.

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 12:08 PM

Was that the year he led his team to the National Championship...He's just one of many above average and capable RB that will make it to RD 3 and could provide insurance behind WM in a backup capacity.

Hey Juice what has McGahee done in the NFL so far? I like McGahee but you don't trade a proven player and go with an unknow as a starter no matter what position.

Lone Stranger
04-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Trading Henry is ludicrous unless we get a Herschel Walker type deal.