PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Henry to get into the Top 5?

Mr. Cynical
04-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Granted it's a fantasy but just for s**ts and giggles I wanted to see how many of you would trade TH to get a top 5 pick.

***NOTE***

Obviously this trade would have to involve other incentives, but that's not the focus of this poll. Just focus on whether or not you'd want to risk losing TH for someone we could get in the top 5.

Devin
04-14-2004, 05:16 PM
I would next year only if WM produced. Not this year though.

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 05:26 PM
I guess it would depend on who we could get with the pick. I think Robert Gallery or Eli Manning would be worth it, but I don't know about anyone else.

helmetguy
04-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Trade a known quantity like TH for an unkown quantity in a draftee, with so many other unknowns to deal with? Not a chance.

ryjam282
04-14-2004, 05:37 PM
I think that if we could get someone like Sean Taylor or Kellen Winslow, it would make our team that much better to have either of those 2 . Henry is definintely expendable IMO. I don't want him to go but Willis is the REAL DEAL, you'll all see.

The Natrix
04-14-2004, 05:37 PM
I would do it in a heart beat, and I am sure TD would. I'm glad some of you are not calling the shots.

No team would be idiotic enough to do it for a top 5 pick though.

DraftBoy
04-14-2004, 05:40 PM
In a hertbeat, no doubt!

mightyspaz
04-14-2004, 05:52 PM
In Two words.......
HELL NO!
I think I've explained this in multiple threads before. No need.

OpIv37
04-14-2004, 06:03 PM
I agree with Helmet and Mighty- trading TH would be unbelievably stupid. We have no idea how McGahee will perform and there's plenty of top 5's who turned out to be busts.

If we traded Henry and McGahee either got hurt or didn't perform, we're instantly back to 6-10.

No draft pick can be as much of an impact player in the first year as TH is

BillsNick
04-14-2004, 06:14 PM
this is like the ninth or tenth thread that asks the same rediculous question.

McBFLO
04-14-2004, 06:22 PM
No way. Next year maybe, not this year.

BillsOwnAll
04-14-2004, 06:58 PM
How can any of you idiots even say yes?!?!?!? i dont understand you at all. Trade one of the top 3 players on our teamf ro someone who never touched a pro ball? You have to be jokeing it makes me sick just looking at "TH tradeing" threads.

Jan Reimers
04-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Trade a known quantity like TH for an unkown quantity in a draftee, with so many other unknowns to deal with? Not a chance.

Great summation, HG.

helmetguy
04-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Jan. See you at the convention?

The_Philster
04-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

Ditto!! :mad:

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Travis Henry straight up for a top 5 pick?

I'd have to do it. I'd grab a QB , Gallery, Sean Taylor, or Fitz, and Steve Jackson with our 13 as McGahee insurance.

juice
04-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
In a hertbeat, no doubt!

You havta make that deal. NO reason to create a Pre-season controversy.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Hell ****ing no!

Devin
04-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
How can any of you idiots even say yes?!?!?!? i dont understand you at all. Trade one of the top 3 players on our teamf ro someone who never touched a pro ball? You have to be jokeing it makes me sick just looking at "TH tradeing" threads.

kiddo your batting a 1000. Knock it off with the disrespect.

Onto the post....

Its very tempting ill certainly admit but I couldnt see us doing it this year. TH has busted his ass for us and its very risky without knowing how WM will do.

As I said perhaps next year certainly. IF WM performs up to par.

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by juice
You havta make that deal. NO reason to create a Pre-season controversy.

To my knowledge, there still is no controversy.

I'd do the deal strictly on value received- If you make trades based on imagined "controversies" or avoiding them, you wind up a team with absilutely no depth.

Following this crazy logic- we should not draft a WR (so not to upset Moulds and Reed and create a contoroversy) a stud DT (Can't get Adams and Williams upset, now can we?) or a bunch of other positions.

It's faulty logic

kardshark19
04-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Hell ****ing no!

Couldn't have said it better, myself :up:

juice
04-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Travis Henry straight up for a top 5 pick?

I'd have to do it. I'd grab a QB , Gallery, Sean Taylor, or Fitz, and Steve Jackson with our 13 as McGahee insurance.

Hypothetically speaking Jackson isn't worth a 13th pick.. we could pick up Clarett in the 3rd or 4th. The best available at 13.. maybe with the last name Williams.

Dozerdog
04-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Hypothetically speaking Jackson isn't worth a 13th pick.. we could pick up Clarett in the 3rd or 4th. The best available at 13.. maybe with the last name Williams.

He's projected to be a mid round #1 pick. I would not touch Clarrett if he were the only RB alive on earth.

I don't get it, Juice- every other day ypou want Henry traded because of a "controversy" you are convinced will occur- yet you want Clarrett- who will be a bigger cancer, a crappier attitude, selfish, immature......

He's a walking controversy.......

elltrain22
04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
If McGahee is the real deal this season, then maybe next season I might be more inclined to do this...

The_Philster
04-14-2004, 09:30 PM
He's projected to be a mid round #1 pick. I would not touch Clarrett if he were the only RB alive on earth.

I don't get it, Juice- every other day ypou want Henry traded because of a "controversy" you are convinced will occur- yet you want Clarrett- who will be a bigger cancer, a crappier attitude, selfish, immature......

Couldn't agree more. I so hope they get a stay in the whole draft decision. :pray:

juice
04-14-2004, 09:47 PM

These guys aren't going to be able to co-exist.. and as far as a Rookie causing problems... There's always the practice squad.

What team has ever featured two backs of this calliber in the Backfield sucessfully... eventually the Green eyed monster will show it's ugly head.

Unless WM just has Glass Knees, this Bills staff knows if he is even close to 100%, any back can blow out a knee on any contact situation, example Terell Davis, or Bo Jackson with his hip.

Jackson isn't an instinctive runner, he's not illusive, and he's not a speedster... Late first rd. or early second.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Juice you really haven't been paying attention to the draft this year have you? Jackson is the best RB in this Draft Class IMO he is fast enough (4.48) and big enough(6'1 238Lbs.) to get a lot done on the football field come Sundays.:up:

mightyspaz
04-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Hell ****ing no!

Thanx For The Back up

juice
04-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Juice you really haven't been paying attention to the draft this year have you? Jackson is the best RB in this Draft Class IMO he is fast enough (4.48) and big enough(6'1 238Lbs.) to get a lot done on the football field come Sundays.:up:

There isnt a back in this draft that worth a #13 pick and there might not be a first Rd back in the Draft.. He will be the first Back drafted.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 10:05 PM

There isnt a back in this draft that worth a #13 pick and there might not be a first Rd back in the Draft.. He will be the first Back drafted.

Is that so, then why are the Lions debating on taking him with the 6th pick? Also guess who they compare him to, Ricky Williams.

The Natrix
04-14-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm with juice. I don't think any of the RBs in this draft are going to be superstars. Maybe 1 or 2 will be solid, but not great.

None of them knocked my socks off like McGahee did when I watched him in college.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 10:15 PM
2003 PRESEASON HONORS

Selected first team All-American by Athlon Sports
Selected first team All-Pacific-10 by Athon Sports
Selected second team All-American by The Sporting News
Selected as the fourth best running back in the nation by The Sporting News
Selected first team All-American by College Football News.com
Selected as one of the top 10 preseason Heisman Trophy candidates by Sports Illustrated.com

http://osubeavers.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jackson_steven00.html

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 10:25 PM
2003 PRESEASON HONORS

Selected as one of the top 10 preseason Heisman Trophy candidates by Sports Illustrated.com

If he isn't consensus number 1 by all of the above and the rest aren't considered great material, then I wouldn't think he is THAT great. Maybe Detroit is considering taking him at 6 because they are desperate for a RB. It doesn't mean that he is good enough for the number 6 pick. He wasn't even considered in the top three by sporting news. I'm just saying that the RB class this year is pretty bad.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 10:31 PM
I have the sporting news he is their top RB as well as Mel Kiper's and pro football weekly's.

juice
04-14-2004, 10:36 PM
2003 PRESEASON HONORS

If he is in Ricky Williams class where are his NCAA rushing titles and records?

Originally posted by The Natrix
I'm with juice. I don't think any of the RBs in this draft are going to be superstars. Maybe 1 or 2 will be solid, but not great.

None of them knocked my socks off like McGahee did when I watched him in college.

They will still have to wait a year or two before they will see any onfield production.

jdbillsfan
04-14-2004, 10:37 PM
I would. Henry's trade value will drop with McGahee taking some of his carries. You don't get a top 5 pick for an unproven player, so you got to take risks. IMO, having two good players at seperate positions is better than having them at one position.

Henry is good and I really like him, but I think if you have a shot at getting a future all pro to go along with a potential all pro RB, you take the risk.

Obviously, I am not in majority though....

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 10:37 PM
I have the sporting news he is their top RB as well as Mel Kiper's and pro football weekly's.

Just going one what you said. I assume you mistyped that then.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths

Just going one what you said. I assume you mistyped that then.

That's what the link says. I just copied and pasted it you would have known that if you clicked the link.:biggrin:

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 10:40 PM

If he is in Ricky Williams class where are his NCAA rushing titles and records?

They will still have to wait a year or two before they will see any onfield production.

Where are Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas and and Emmitt Smith's NCAA rushing titles? They don't mean ****!:up:

chernobylwraiths
04-14-2004, 10:43 PM

That's what the link says. I just copied and pasted it you would have known that if you clicked the link.:biggrin:

Oh, my fault. I didn't read the very top. Why would you showcase his preseason honors instead of his post season ones? That should show how much better he was than the rest of the field.

The Spaz
04-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths

Oh, my fault. I didn't read the very top. Why would you showcase his preseason honors instead of his post season ones? That should show how much better he was than the rest of the field.

That's all I could find. I don't even really care we're not getting him but I'm just saying he will be a very good player.

Here's more:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/players/30735/

SABURZFAN
04-15-2004, 12:34 AM
i would want 2 first rounders plus a 3rd this year.otherwise,he's going nowhere.

STAMPY
04-15-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
i would want 2 first rounders plus a 3rd this year.otherwise,he's going nowhere.

lol... that would be a good dream

SABURZFAN
04-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE

lol... that would be a good dream

look at what the FISH gave up for r.williams.you will see that henry's number will compare to williams in the first 3 years of their careers.if anybody wants henry,they're gonna have to pay the piper.otherwise,he stays put.

jdbillsfan
04-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Would you rather have Roy Williams and McGahee or Henry and McGahee?

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by jdbillsfan
Would you rather have Roy Williams and McGahee or Henry and McGahee?

Henry is the only sure thing right now.

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Is is Henry straight up for a top 5 or Henry and other picks to move up?

jdbillsfan
04-15-2004, 10:10 AM
I thought it was Henry for a top 5 pick straight up.

I wouldn't do it, just to move up in the draft...

Ron C.
04-15-2004, 10:11 AM
If the trade is TH straight up for a top 5 pick, I would make that move today. The career of a RB is only a few years (look at the A Train). If you can pick up that blue chip LT or QB, I say make the swap.

If the trade is TH plus our #13 pick, I would probably say no at this time.

TedMock
04-15-2004, 10:15 AM
The real question is would you trade him for a top 6 pick? The Lions, IMO, are the only possible suitors. They're in desperate need of a RB and the guys coming out this year just don't seem like #6 material. Detroit may not have a choice, however, but to take a back that high. It's a very interesting proposal. A 6 and a 13? We could even trade one of those picks down and pick up an extra 2nd rounder in the process. I realize that all rookies are chances but whether we'd make the move or not we'd have to at least entertain the idea.

Novacane
04-15-2004, 10:16 AM
The question should be would TD do it. I don't think there is any doubt he would do it. Regardless of the the armchair GM's here think Travis Henry is not worth a top 5 pick. If any team were crazy enough to offer that TD would make that trade in a heartbeat

juice
04-15-2004, 10:23 AM
To have a Proven Pro Bowler and 1400 yard rusher would be worth it to Detroit to gain immediate results. A Rook from this class would be at least two years in development.

bills_7
04-15-2004, 10:29 AM
no i wouldn't............
isnt there any teams out there that would be interested in henry to make a trade for a WR?

TedMock
04-15-2004, 10:46 AM
The WR draft is so deep this year that we can pick up a future starter in the 2nd round and even get a solid guy in the third. I think that IF we get rid of him it would be for draft picks. It would have to be straight up, though. Henry for Detroit's #6..period. There's no way I'd add our #13 or another player unless we trade down afterward and that results in a pick between 6 and 13 and an extra second rounder.

Mr. Cynical
04-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Just to restate....

Read the "note" part in my original post. It's not about whether TH is worth a straight up trade or with picks to get into the top 5.

It's about would you risk losing a known quantity (TH) for an unknown top 5 in this year's draft regardless of the trade package. Just assume that the trade package has other picks for now (realistically that's the only way it would happen anyway). I'm not concerned with the "value" of the trade itself per se...I'm interested if people would want to lose TH in that trade for a shot at a top 5 pick.

TedMock
04-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Want to? No. Willing to? Yes. I definitely know what you were asking in the first place but this thread (for good reason) ended up expanding into other scenario's. It's hard to say "yes, I'd trade our heart and soul away for an unproven entity". Scenario's automatically start popping up.

Mr. Cynical
04-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Just a little bump given the new Detroit rumor. Wonder if anyone is starting to waffle a bit now that it *might* be more than just vapor. :snicker: