PDA

View Full Version : Rivers Gets Late Invite To Draft...

baalworship
04-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Rivers was disappointed when he wasn't invited to New York for the Heisman Trophy ceremony in December. But the former N.C. State quarterback said NFL official Gil Brandt called him Monday, asking him to attend the 2004 NFL draft on April 24.

Rivers said there could be seven players at the draft, held in New York's Madison Square Garden. He'll be one of three quarterbacks in the green room, joining the "competition," Mississippi's Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger from Miami (Ohio).

"You don't dream about that opportunity, you dream about going to the NFL," Rivers said Wednesday. "But when you've watched it for so long, when you have the chance to go up there on that stage ... I'm excited about that opportunity. It's a big deal."

The lateness of the invitation, two weeks after the others, could be telling. It could indicate that an NFL team with a high draft choice plans to select him and wants him in New York.

Which team might that be?

Rivers At The Draft (http://newsobserver.com/sports/college/ncsu/story/3513747p-3117215c.html)

Pride
04-15-2004, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately buffalo isnt high enough to demand anything like that.

Pride
04-15-2004, 08:22 AM
I dont understand why they dont bring in 20+ of these guys...

I would LOVE To see Clarrett there, and see his face when his name isnt called until the 6th round, or not called at all.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-15-2004, 08:51 AM
IMO, Clarret will go in the 3rd or 4th.

ryjam282
04-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Who knows....Maybe they know of a trade up from us....:D

The_Philster
04-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I would LOVE To see Clarrett there, and see his face when his name isnt called until the 6th round, or not called at all.

That would be sweet..they could pan to the Green room all throughout the seventh round and watch his reactions :evil:

Aero II
04-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I dont understand why they dont bring in 20+ of these guys...

It would start to look like one of those WWE Drafts with 100 guys in a room all staring at the TV waiting for their turn.

the dude
04-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by baalworship

The lateness of the invitation, two weeks after the others, could be telling. It could indicate that an NFL team with a high draft choice plans to select him and wants him in New York.

Which team might that be?

Since Fitzgerald declined the invite, Rivers may just be the next in line they asked ...