PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Chargers dealing No. 1 slipping

lordofgun
04-15-2004, 08:55 AM
E-mail maneuver viewed as effort to stir up a trade

By Jim Trotter
STAFF WRITER

April 13, 2004

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith has said repeatedly that he won't seriously consider trade offers for the top pick in this month's NFL draft until tomorrow at the earliest.

Still, the pervasive opinion among many league observers is that Smith wants to unload the selection. The opinions are based not only on the Chargers having numerous holes to fill after an eighth consecutive nonwinning season, but also on the fact that the team mass e-mailed writers and reporters last week after the New York Giants inquired about possibly dealing for the choice.

It's almost unheard of for a club to post such information on its Web site, let alone do a mass mailing to reporters about it. A lot of people took that to mean that the Chargers are desperate to stir up interest in the pick, then unload it to the highest bidder.

However, after further review, a trade seems less likely with each passing day. The reason is Iowa offensive tackle Robert Gallery.

<a href="http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040413/news_1s13chargers.html">more...</a>

Mr. Miyagi
04-15-2004, 09:34 AM
The Chargers could select Gallery, then try to trade current or future picks to acquire one of the two other quarterbacks projected to go in the first round next weekend: Ben Roethlisberger of Miami of Ohio or Philip Rivers of North Carolina State. But that scenario seems unlikely because it probably would cost the Chargers their first-round choice in 2005. And, with this being another rebuilding season, next year's No. 1 could be extremely valuable.
First of all, they'd be dumb to take Gallery over Manning with their #1 overall pick.

Second of all, if they really do take Gallery with the #1 pick, there's no way any team would trade their top 8 pick with them for next year's 1st rounder so that they can still take Big Ben or Rivers, especially when no one knows how high that next year 1st round pick will be.

Whoever wrote this is an idiot. :cynic:

lordofgun
04-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Whoever wrote this is an idiot. :cynic:

It was Jim Trotter.

don137
04-15-2004, 10:15 AM
I don't think taking Gallery number 1 overall is that crazy. A franchise QB is no good if he doesn't have any protection. Gallery is being compared right up there with Ogden, Boselli and Pace. He is also rated by many the safest pick in the draft...They could go Gallery in the 1st and California-own JP Losman in the 2nd...

Tatonka
04-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by don137
I don't think taking Gallery number 1 overall is that crazy. A franchise QB is no good if he doesn't have any protection. Gallery is being compared right up there with Ogden, Boselli and Pace. He is also rated by many the safest pick in the draft...They could go Gallery in the 1st and California-own JP Losman in the 2nd...

that would be incredibly smart if you ask me.. so that means they are likely to screw that up..

i would love to see rivers fall to us.. then we trade we san diego, for next years first.. and this years 2nd and 3rd.. i would do that in a heartbeat.

Devin
04-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Gallery going #1 wouldnt shock me kid could be one of the best ever and it isnt to often id say that without him playing a dawn, hes just incredible. Hed come cheaper, and could step in right away.

Im not justifying it one way or another, simply saying it isnt a dumb pick.

San Diego could screw up a wet dream so they will likely pick a DT or something.

Either way Rivers or Ben will be ours, we will grab a speedy solid WR in the 2nd, and in the 3rd bolster our OL with Stepanovich.

In the 4th we pull the trigger and grab Peters at TE and Karney at FB in the 5th to assist peters in getting our backfield to a 2500 yard season, in the 7th its likely a moot pick since they prob wont make it past the practice squad....maybe a kicker.

There we are done, good draft, great season...the end.

Devin
04-15-2004, 02:40 PM
see all fixed :)