PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, Bills may take Rivers

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Early this week, Tom Donahoe began the Buffalo Bills' predraft luncheon by reminding a roomful of reporters they were all about to be lied to.
"Nobody tells the truth," he said.

Really, NFL personnel men are fountains of deceit at this time of year. The idea is to plant misinformation, to inflate the perception of players they have no interest in taking while hiding their true intentions until draft day.

So it was odd to hear Donahoe make one clear assertion: The Bills intend to draft a quarterback this year, someone to groom as Drew Bledsoe's successor.

"We have one franchise quarterback," Donahoe said, "and we're looking for another one."

They're not talking about the next Alex Van Pelt. They want a guy who can take them to the Super Bowl. You don't plan on getting that player in the late rounds. There aren't many Tom Bradys.

It could all be a masterly deception. But after listening to Donahoe and Tom Modrak, I'm convinced the Bills want a franchise QB with their first pick. And Philip Rivers, the former North Carolina State star, seems to be the guy.

It's the wise thing to do. The Bills can prop up Bledsoe with new coaches and a simplified offense. He is no longer an elite NFL quarterback, or close to it. The Bills have to prepare for his eventual departure, perhaps after one more season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040415/3057131.asp

Gunzlingr
04-15-2004, 10:28 AM
I am moving this to the Bills forum. Having a rough morning, Spaz?? :D

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Gunzlingr
I am moving this to the Bills forum. Having a rough morning, Spaz?? :D

Not funny!:peace::beers:

Tatonka
04-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
"We have one franchise quarterback," Donahoe said,

who was he referring to there? :idunno:

Devin
04-15-2004, 11:53 AM
lol T.

Nicew find Spaz, what I have been sating for some time. I hope we can snag Rivers.

BAM
04-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Honestly, Bills may take Rivers

:pray:

Mr. Cynical
04-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

:rofl:

Shame on you, Leader of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce. ;)

Nice post spaz. I'm thinking TD is trying some reverse psychology here...say you are lying and then say you want a QB. Granted this time of year has to be alot of hard work for him, but it's got to be the most fun time of the year as well.

Devin
04-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Trust me if Rivers is there even close he will get him, only way he doesnt is if he trades up for Ben....

either way im happy.

ryjam282
04-15-2004, 12:41 PM

Clearly he is in love with Travis Brown :snicker:

Tatonka
04-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282

he would be the only one he could be referring to that i know of. :D

buffmaniac
04-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I still just don't understand why people are so in love with a QB who has yet to even play a down in the NFL but yet they hate Drew who has been to 4 Pro Bowls, who has led a team to a super bowl, and who in 2002 set 10 franchise records (many of which belonged to Kelly) It just doesn't make sense to me.

Novacane
04-15-2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by ryjam282

he would be the only one he could be referring to that i know of. :D

I think you just broke the truce

HAMMER
04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I just want a winner, don't care if he is the biggest, or strongest arm. Just that he craves success and knows how to win. Seems Bledsoe has struggled with the winning attitude through his whole career. I don't see the fire.