PDA

View Full Version : People are so short sighted

Dozerdog
04-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Man, why is everyone so short sighted for the draft?

If you truly want immediate impact from your draft picks- go the Redskin route. Piss them away signing RFA's or trade them for established players.

The advantage is that there is no break in time.

The disadvantage is that your Cap situation will be a mess every 3 seasons, and you will have zero youth to build upon.

McGahee? Why him? He won't play for a whole year!!!

A QB? I don't want a guy who will sit the bench for a year! How does that get me to a Super bowl in 2004?

I want (fill in blank here) - he can start right away

A WR? We have Moulds and Reed! Why do we need a WR if we are going to run?

Andrews? Why do we need another Tackle? We have Jennings!

DE? We just spent high picks on Denny, Kelsay, Schobel...

Wilfork? What's he gona do behind Adams and Williams?

The purpose of the draft is to restock your team. Moulds, Jennings, Clements, Schobel and our DT's are strong candidates to be cap caualties and or free agents in the near future.

Of the 250 players selected, maybe 20-40 have immediate impact, with maybe 2/3rds of them winning starting jobs. Face it folks, most of the players in the entire draft take 2 years or more to develop.

The Boldins of the world are very rare

chernobylwraiths
04-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm yeah.

What he said. :)

BillsFever
04-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Some can't see past a current season.

Dozerdog
04-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Seriously- If giving up immediate gratification for a QB who will start for the Bills from 2006 through 2016, with 6 playoff appearances, 5 pro bowls, 3 Superbowl trips, and a win or two in the big game means waiting a year or two, or giving up a 2nd round WR, I'll do it.

Romes
04-15-2004, 05:07 PM
So in your mind Dozer, what do we do then?

Trade up to get Big Ben...Roethlisxcnzvczu

Tatonka
04-15-2004, 05:08 PM
know it all.. :snicker:

:jk:

Romes
04-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Seriously- If giving up immediate gratification for a QB who will start for the Bills from 2006 through 2016, with 6 playoff appearances, 5 pro bowls, 3 Superbowl trips, and a win or two in the big game means waiting a year or two, or giving up a 2nd round WR, I'll do it.

thanks for answering my question :D

SoCalBillsFan
04-15-2004, 05:11 PM
I agree Dozer. It's grat to find immediateimpact guys. But it's also good to take the "college football recruiting" appraoch, meaning taking great talent even if it'll take a year or two to develop. In two years, this team will look a lot different, and we'll be thankful if we have guys ready to step in then.

Dozerdog
04-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Romes
So in your mind Dozer, what do we do then?

Trade up to get Big Ben...Roethlisxcnzvczu

Well, if Big Ben is all that and a bag of chips, and if the time /place is right- then just do it!

If not- pick the best player available at 13, or trade down. This isn't a "trade for Big Ben" thread... or Rivers, or Manning. It's intended to slap some realism back into people who think they can cure the world (or in this case the Bills) Ills in one felled swoop. Don't get tunnel vision and just pick a guy because he can start, or because he fills a need. When you do that, you become the Arizona Cardinals or Cincy Bengals of the 90's. Tons of high picks, little production.

Just balance the needs of today with the needs of tomorrow.

Tatonka
04-15-2004, 05:16 PM
dozer.. the problem i see .. or the reason want immediate gradification is because, if you get a guy who takes 3 years to develope.. then you get one good season out of a guy, 3 years later and then he is going somewhere else, vai FA.. and that sucks. we are paying guys big money.. so people want results.. not just cap leaches who leave after one good break out year.. like peerless.

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Man, why is everyone so short sighted for the draft?

If you truly want immediate impact from your draft picks- go the Redskin route. Piss them away signing RFA's or trade them for established players.

The advantage is that there is no break in time.

The disadvantage is that your Cap situation will be a mess every 3 seasons, and you will have zero youth to build upon.

McGahee? Why him? He won't play for a whole year!!!

A QB? I don't want a guy who will sit the bench for a year! How does that get me to a Super bowl in 2004?

I want (fill in blank here) - he can start right away

A WR? We have Moulds and Reed! Why do we need a WR if we are going to run?

Andrews? Why do we need another Tackle? We have Jennings!

DE? We just spent high picks on Denny, Kelsay, Schobel...

Wilfork? What's he gona do behind Adams and Williams?

The purpose of the draft is to restock your team. Moulds, Jennings, Clements, Schobel and our DT's are strong candidates to be cap caualties and or free agents in the near future.

Of the 250 players selected, maybe 20-40 have immediate impact, with maybe 2/3rds of them winning starting jobs. Face it folks, most of the players in the entire draft take 2 years or more to develop.

The Boldins of the world are very rare

Good question I was wondering the same thing

Dozerdog
04-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
dozer.. the problem i see .. or the reason want immediate gradification is because, if you get a guy who takes 3 years to develope.. then you get one good season out of a guy, 3 years later and then he is going somewhere else, vai FA.. and that sucks. we are paying guys big money.. so people want results.. not just cap leaches who leave after one good break out year.. like peerless.

You are going to ge that with any draft picks. Here's the thing. With high picks, they get very big contracts. Which means big bonus- which means the deal goes longer- 5-6 years. When that happens, they outstrip the RFA process in 3 seasons.

The problem with Price and Jennings is, they are signed just long enough to outlast the RFA length- but good enough to command a lot of dollars.

It all depends how you approach it. There is no right way- as long as you have a long term plan.

mightyspaz
04-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Dozer, I'm with you. It's nice to see players come up and develop under the Buffalo staff and then florish. It my be that we had to pick up some FA's to fill some immidiate gaps (including leadership) and that is misleading people into thinking that those are the best solutions. Unfortunatly in case like the redskins they will be good for one or two seasons at best and then half the teams contracts expire and those players go looking for more money. I don't want the Bills to be the yankees of football and go out and max their cap out to get the all star team.
Be patient and you will see dynasties like the early 90's!
That's what is all about!
:gobills:

BidsJr
04-15-2004, 08:07 PM

Even if it means giving up Henry?:bandwagon

I agree with you but we might have to take a chance to do it.

justasportsfan
04-15-2004, 08:24 PM
that's why you draft the best athlete/player. and it will pay off in the future. Needs are usually holes that are plugged via FAcy.

BuffaloRanger
04-15-2004, 08:52 PM
The player doesn't need to start this year, but he needs to see the field this season if he's going to step into a starting job at DE, DT, WR, OL in 2005.

chernobylwraiths
04-15-2004, 08:52 PM

I'm all for waiting for players to develop, and we all know that every player is a risk that they might not. Especially with the fact that our first rounder last year never played a down, and the second and third rounder didn't play much either, I think that trading a second rounder in a deep draft like this for the possibility to draft a guy that also, with any luck, won't play a down this year, wouldn't be a good move. I think we should stay where we are and either take the best player who falls to us or trade down for extra players. We are not a good enough team to give up blue chip draftees for a chance at just one. I think first round QBs are probably the highest risk players to take early with the fact that there are so many busts. IMO, I think that is just too big of a risk to take.

Draft a QB (even Rivers) at 13 or trade down is fine, but don't give up picks this year.

Samphin1
04-15-2004, 08:58 PM
So, what happens when you go the Redskins route and still miss the playoffs ( like, surprise surprise, the Redskins) :lol: Where is the immediate payoff then? Or when you are consanltl stocking up on draft picks but can't seem to make it into the playoffs like the Patrio....oh d@mmit, bad example. Like ugh the Cardinals! Yeah there is a good one. :)

doug45
04-16-2004, 06:54 AM
I agree it takes time and that is why I wanted a young QB years ago. The reason people are so short sighted is that is has been many years that they have been told it will take time. We have been rebuilding for years at some point we have to finish the house.

Earthquake Enyart
04-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Sorry. I want immediate gratification. :ee:

BigZ
04-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Dozer - good post. There really isn't any "immediate gratification" in the draft because less than a quarter of the 1st round will start.

The teams that get someone who starts are usually the teams that completely suck.

We all have our opinions of the strengths and weeknesses of the various Bills players but there aren't many on this board who think we aren't close to a playoff team. (How close is the argument).

Our needs aren't that "glaring" that we can expect a rookie to jump right in.

I don't believe you can always go with the best athlete though because you have to look at position a little (i.e. I wouldn't draft a RB this year 1st even if he were the best athlete unless we were already set to trade TH).

That's just my opinion - but as Dennis Miller says - I could be wrong.

lordofgun
04-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Sorry. I want immediate gratification. :ee:

That's because you don't have long. :ee:

LtBillsFan66
04-16-2004, 09:32 AM
I hear you dozer, but how long has this rebuilding project been in place? You talk about restocking a team that's been 8-8 at best and 6-10 last season. There has to be a time when you throw all the chips on the table and take a shot at the title. I think it's this year. Or else, we'll be rebuilding mode again if indeed the players you mentioned are cap casualties.

Earthquake Enyart
04-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
That's because you don't have long. :ee:

That was a long rebuilding stage between 1964 and 1990. :ee:

And Dozer, just because your in-laws are in town, you don't have to be such a crabass. :mad:

Big M
04-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Your post is dead on. Who we pick on Day 1 of the Draft will not make or break our 2004 season. Yet it could impact 2005 and beyond. It's a gamble every single round. Unproven college talent, who need time to elevate their game.

We live in an age of vast internet information, where sports news is just a click away. Patience is a virtue which has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Instant gratification or else. With this wealth of information, many start to fancy themselves as GM's, quite capable of opinions which should never be questioned. Instead of debating football issues or players rationally, we sermonize and attack anyone who dares offer a different view.

I do not see this team as the 2004 SB champs. Still, I can dream . Thus, I refuse to pine for a philosophy of " win now " , which has a shelf life of 6 months during the cap age. The result is years of losing, if it fails.

GW failed as our Coach. We can't change that. Mularkey should be given a couple years to upgrade some key positions and meanwhile, we have a pretty good squad which is capable of doing some good things. Get to the playoffs first, then start dreaming.

The NFL is now a Coaches League. Mularkey and his asst. coaches are the key to our off-season, not some 22 year old fresh out of college.

Dantheman1280
04-16-2004, 10:43 AM
I agree with the post, but if TD thinks someone can make an immediate impact than he will draft him!

carybillsfan
04-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Dozer I completely agree with you, and with that said I believe our most striking need for not the upcoming year but in 2005 will be at QB. Maybe I'm wrong but if we can snag any of the big 3 I'd be happy, I'm not sold that Travis Brown is exactly NFL starting material.

Halbert
04-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Dozer, I completely disagree.

Oh wait, no I don't.