People are so short sighted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

People are so short sighted

Man, why is everyone so short sighted for the draft?

If you truly want immediate impact from your draft picks- go the Redskin route. Piss them away signing RFA's or trade them for established players.

The advantage is that there is no break in time.

The disadvantage is that your Cap situation will be a mess every 3 seasons, and you will have zero youth to build upon.

McGahee? Why him? He won't play for a whole year!!!

A QB? I don't want a guy who will sit the bench for a year! How does that get me to a Super bowl in 2004?

I want (fill in blank here) - he can start right away

A WR? We have Moulds and Reed! Why do we need a WR if we are going to run?

Andrews? Why do we need another Tackle? We have Jennings!

DE? We just spent high picks on Denny, Kelsay, Schobel...

Wilfork? What's he gona do behind Adams and Williams?

The purpose of the draft is to restock your team. Moulds, Jennings, Clements, Schobel and our DT's are strong candidates to be cap caualties and or free agents in the near future.

Of the 250 players selected, maybe 20-40 have immediate impact, with maybe 2/3rds of them winning starting jobs. Face it folks, most of the players in the entire draft take 2 years or more to develop.

The Boldins of the world are very rare
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm yeah.

What he said. :)

Comment

• BillsFever
      Mr. Predictament
      • Feb 2003

Some can't see past a current season.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Seriously- If giving up immediate gratification for a QB who will start for the Bills from 2006 through 2016, with 6 playoff appearances, 5 pro bowls, 3 Superbowl trips, and a win or two in the big game means waiting a year or two, or giving up a 2nd round WR, I'll do it.

Comment

• Romes
          • Jul 2002

So in your mind Dozer, what do we do then?

Trade up to get Big Ben...Roethlisxcnzvczu
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

know it all..

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Romes
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
              Seriously- If giving up immediate gratification for a QB who will start for the Bills from 2006 through 2016, with 6 playoff appearances, 5 pro bowls, 3 Superbowl trips, and a win or two in the big game means waiting a year or two, or giving up a 2nd round WR, I'll do it.
              thanks for answering my question
              Originally posted by paladin warrior
              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                Expert on Experts
                • Jul 2002

I agree Dozer. It's grat to find immediateimpact guys. But it's also good to take the "college football recruiting" appraoch, meaning taking great talent even if it'll take a year or two to develop. In two years, this team will look a lot different, and we'll be thankful if we have guys ready to step in then.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes
                  So in your mind Dozer, what do we do then?

Trade up to get Big Ben...Roethlisxcnzvczu
                  Well, if Big Ben is all that and a bag of chips, and if the time /place is right- then just do it!

If not- pick the best player available at 13, or trade down. This isn't a "trade for Big Ben" thread... or Rivers, or Manning. It's intended to slap some realism back into people who think they can cure the world (or in this case the Bills) Ills in one felled swoop. Don't get tunnel vision and just pick a guy because he can start, or because he fills a need. When you do that, you become the Arizona Cardinals or Cincy Bengals of the 90's. Tons of high picks, little production.

Just balance the needs of today with the needs of tomorrow.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

dozer.. the problem i see .. or the reason want immediate gradification is because, if you get a guy who takes 3 years to develope.. then you get one good season out of a guy, 3 years later and then he is going somewhere else, vai FA.. and that sucks. we are paying guys big money.. so people want results.. not just cap leaches who leave after one good break out year.. like peerless.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Re: People are so short sighted

Man, why is everyone so short sighted for the draft?

If you truly want immediate impact from your draft picks- go the Redskin route. Piss them away signing RFA's or trade them for established players.

The advantage is that there is no break in time.

The disadvantage is that your Cap situation will be a mess every 3 seasons, and you will have zero youth to build upon.

McGahee? Why him? He won't play for a whole year!!!

A QB? I don't want a guy who will sit the bench for a year! How does that get me to a Super bowl in 2004?

I want (fill in blank here) - he can start right away

A WR? We have Moulds and Reed! Why do we need a WR if we are going to run?

Andrews? Why do we need another Tackle? We have Jennings!

DE? We just spent high picks on Denny, Kelsay, Schobel...

Wilfork? What's he gona do behind Adams and Williams?

The purpose of the draft is to restock your team. Moulds, Jennings, Clements, Schobel and our DT's are strong candidates to be cap caualties and or free agents in the near future.

Of the 250 players selected, maybe 20-40 have immediate impact, with maybe 2/3rds of them winning starting jobs. Face it folks, most of the players in the entire draft take 2 years or more to develop.

The Boldins of the world are very rare
                      Good question I was wondering the same thing

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        dozer.. the problem i see .. or the reason want immediate gradification is because, if you get a guy who takes 3 years to develope.. then you get one good season out of a guy, 3 years later and then he is going somewhere else, vai FA.. and that sucks. we are paying guys big money.. so people want results.. not just cap leaches who leave after one good break out year.. like peerless.
                        You are going to ge that with any draft picks. Here's the thing. With high picks, they get very big contracts. Which means big bonus- which means the deal goes longer- 5-6 years. When that happens, they outstrip the RFA process in 3 seasons.

The problem with Price and Jennings is, they are signed just long enough to outlast the RFA length- but good enough to command a lot of dollars.

It all depends how you approach it. There is no right way- as long as you have a long term plan.

Comment

• mightyspaz
                          Short, Furry and Cold
                          • Mar 2004

Dozer, I'm with you. It's nice to see players come up and develop under the Buffalo staff and then florish. It my be that we had to pick up some FA's to fill some immidiate gaps (including leadership) and that is misleading people into thinking that those are the best solutions. Unfortunatly in case like the redskins they will be good for one or two seasons at best and then half the teams contracts expire and those players go looking for more money. I don't want the Bills to be the yankees of football and go out and max their cap out to get the all star team.
                          Be patient and you will see dynasties like the early 90's!
                          That's what is all about!
                          ThE MiGhTy SpAz
                          - I remember watching objects fly in my house Jan. 27th 1991 (XXV) as Scott Norwood missed, But I remember holding hands in my living room as Steve Christie scored three points to cap a 35 point comeback victory with Frank Reich at the Helm.

Comment

• BidsJr
                            • Sep 2002

Even if it means giving up Henry?

I agree with you but we might have to take a chance to do it.
                            "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

that's why you draft the best athlete/player. and it will pay off in the future. Needs are usually holes that are plugged via FAcy.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X