PDA

View Full Version : Bearcat's Bills Draft Rumor for 4/15

Romes
04-15-2004, 04:58 PM
http://www.sportsrumormill.com/viewtopic.php?t=17456

I must say if the Bills pulled off a ballsy move like this one I'd be pretty impressed.

After spending the majority of my morning awaking at 4:00 a.m. speaking with scouts for at least 20 NFL teams we finally feel we have a handle on the majority of the draft. This is not to say some team will throw a loop by making a trade. It appears that most teams have the there top 5 most wanted players in round #1 listed. I will list what trades appear to have the best chance of occurring. For record Buffalo will trade for Roethlisberger, this was confirmed by Sam Wyche this morning. Additionally, it appears that any trades involving the Giants, Redskins, or Raiders have been eliminated. It appears that San Diego through its own ignorance is stuck with the 1st overall pick. We also have excluded Clarrett and Williams as we feel the NFL will win the case

also...

#9 Jaguars to Buffalo - Ben Roethlisberger - With both defensive ends gone and two of there top three receivers remaining Jacksonville feels a trade down is appropriate. Malarky and Wyche are in awe of Roethlisberger and feel he's the best quarterback in the draft. They make the trade knowing that most holes are filled with the exception of a solid backup quarterback for 2004. They will groom Ben to be the starter in 2005 which is exactly why they brought Sam in as quarterbacks coach. Personally I agree with there assesment of Roethlisberger and I feel he will be the best of this draft class.

Though I still wonder about the trade details. I would love to see the Bills trade up to get Big Ben. Stuff like this gets me really pumped up for the draft.

SoCalBillsFan
04-15-2004, 05:05 PM
I would love it. The question is, what would we give up?

Tatonka
04-15-2004, 05:14 PM
i swear, if they give anything on the first day of this draft, i will be disappointed.. great qb or not.. qbs are such a crap shoot.. since 1984 only 17% of the qbs drafted in the first round have turned out to be worth it..

i would be totally ok with giving up our 1st this year and 2nd next year..

Dozerdog
04-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i swear, if they give anything on the first day of this draft, i will be disappointed.. great qb or not.. qbs are such a crap shoot.. since 1984 only 17% of the qbs drafted in the first round have turned out to be worth it..

I'd like to see what the number is for ALL first round picks, not just QBs who pass/fail.

I'd also like to know if failure rates on high picks have anything to do with the club selecting them. I'll bet Arizona and Cincy blew a lot of high picks each year, while teams like San Francisco and Green Bay seem to make the most of their selections over the long haul.

Tatonka
04-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I'd like to see what the number is for ALL first round picks, not just QBs who pass/fail.

no.

:snicker2:

SoCalBillsFan
04-15-2004, 05:25 PM
If we give up a second next year I'd be happy. It'd be tough to part with this year's number 1 AND 2...

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Big Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drool::beers:

Michael82
04-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
If we give up a second next year I'd be happy. It'd be tough to part with this year's number 1 AND 2...

I agree. I'm worried that it's this year's #1 and next year's #1. ::eek:

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Wait a second, I thought the Bills were in love with Rivers? That's what a lot of you have been telling me.

The only thing I can think of that would be anything close is in 2001, Seattle traded #7 and their 6th round pick to the 49ers for #9, 3rd, and a 7th..

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

I would reserve judgement to see what pick on the first day we give up.

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 06:00 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mioh/sports/m-footbl/02-03action/a-roethlisberger-090702.jpg
<b>"Big Ben"</b>

Look at that throw!:up:

ZacGriffi~82
04-15-2004, 06:01 PM
smells like BS to me, but you never know.

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Giants better ****ing take Gallery then!!!!!!!!

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Could this be why we still have quite a bit of room under the salary cap?

mypoorfriendme
04-15-2004, 06:55 PM
if theyre so sure about williams not getting in the draft...then that means a team like the raiders or cardinals are all the more likey to draft roethlesburger

Big M
04-15-2004, 06:56 PM
I have little reason to BS anyone. Knowing a few folks who work out at OBD, I've been told that Ben R. is the name that keeps coming up. Wyche thinks he's the best of the Big 3 QB's. These same people mentioned McGahee last year, much to my laughter at the time.

Of course it's all rumors. This one may actually have some legs.

L.A. Playa
04-15-2004, 07:19 PM
I believe that all the speculation of who is going where and who will be a bust and who will be a stud all depends on one thing. COACHING!! Why is Jerry Rice the greates reciever ever??? He was drafted by the 49 ers who ran a pass first west coast offense that was coached by a great coach who adjusted his system to fit Jerry Rice's strengths. Why has NE been so succesful they have drafted the best players to fit their system. What appears to be the best player always is not the best player for your system. With a new staff with a first time head coach we have no idea what kind of system the Bills are gonna run, that being said we have no idea what player will best fit in the new system. Until we see them play all we can do is guess. Lets hope Mularkey is as good of a coach as he sounds and he and TD pick the best player to fit the Bills system, otherwise any player you choose could be a bust

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 07:22 PM
That dates back from Drafts 1-present

McBFLO
04-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

I'd also like to know if failure rates on high picks have anything to do with the club selecting them. I'll bet Arizona and Cincy blew a lot of high picks each year, while teams like San Francisco and Green Bay seem to make the most of their selections over the long haul.

Also, what is considered passing? What is considered failing. There isn't a clear cut line on the definition. It's kind a judgement call to me.

quote:
#9 Jaguars to Buffalo - Ben Roethlisberger - With both defensive ends gone and two of there top three receivers remaining Jacksonville feels a trade down is appropriate. Malarky and Wyche are in awe of Roethlisberger and feel he's the best quarterback in the draft. They make the trade knowing that most holes are filled with the exception of a solid backup quarterback for 2004. They will groom Ben to be the starter in 2005 which is exactly why they brought Sam in as quarterbacks coach. Personally I agree with there assesment of Roethlisberger and I feel he will be the best of this draft class.

I dont think both Udeze AND Will Smith will be gone by the 9th pick. Just my opinion.

L.A. Playa
04-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Attitude Charachter and physical talent are most important in a player if you ask me. You can have all the talent in the world be uncoachable and selfish and hurt the team and be a here today gone tommorrow guy Like Ryan Leaf but a guy with less physical tools but with great attitude coachable and a team guy like the hated Tom Brady is succesful very rare that the best physical talent also has charachter and great attitude these days as sad as that may seem the best picks maybe in rds 2-4 as alot of 1st rd guys usually have the big head coming in

Jeff1220
04-15-2004, 09:50 PM
My hunch is generally to agree with the rumor. I could see it happen and here's why...I know, I know, this is all feelings and nothing concrete...but I got the feeling the Bills were very interested in BR back when they aired the combine show on NFLNetwork. TD was interviewed on the show and he was asked about 2 things - Bledsoe (briefly) and BigBen (in a little more detail). TD seemed to have a twinkle in his eye and excitement in his voice when talking about Ben, which makes me believe that he was pretty enamoured with his talents. Also, the fact that the NFLN guy directed a Ben R. question at TD leads me to believe that the network noticed TD paying close attention to Big Ben at the combine and meetings.
...Just a thought.

TigerJ
04-15-2004, 10:01 PM
I don't dispute what Bearcatmania and Big M are saying, but are they absolutely sure that 1. Ben Roethlisberger is still going to be around at #9, and 2. Jacksonville will make the trade at a fair price?

The Spaz
04-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I don't dispute what Bearcatmania and Big M are saying, but are they absolutely sure that 1. Ben Roethlisberger is still going to be around at #9, and 2. Jacksonville will make the trade at a fair price?

Very true the Bills would have to be sure that the Giants and Browns would not go QB.

B-DON
04-16-2004, 04:07 AM
browns have garcia but maybe the giants will

ryjam282
04-16-2004, 07:35 AM
The G-Men won't do any deal for a QB not named Manning. They are doing all they can to get Gallery. QB is the last thing on there mind.

carybillsfan
04-16-2004, 08:14 AM
So my question is this would you rather give up a 2nd rounder next year and get Ben or sit in at 13 and take Rivers?? To me their NFL outlooks look pretty similar. The funniest thing about the original post: "all the other holes are pretty much filled" WTF is that!!! Yeah we don't need a #2 receiver, or a TE or a FBor a Center that can block. Maybe will run the no TE run & shoot with only 1 WR and put 8 OL in the game-- sounds like it could be a long season!!!