Are you looking for immediate impact, or are you willing to wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

Are you looking for immediate impact, or are you willing to wait?

This is kinda coinciding with Dozer's thread earlier. :)

If we are going to draft a QB (Rivers or especially Big Ben), or a DT (Harris or Wilfork) we must be willing to wait one, two, maybe even three years to see their true NFL talent. Thought Rivers would prolly be ready sooner than Big Ben, I think Big Ben is just plain better, with more talent, and would be worth waiting two years before he took the reins of the team. The only player I think would make an a fairly good to great immediate impact for us would be Roy Williams. This guy is a stud, and I'd love to see him in a Bills uniform. Either Big Ben, or Harris, or Roy would be great picks IMO...

Lee Evans would also be a perfect fit, and could possibly be a immediate contributor in 2004. He would be a perfect 2nd round pick if we didn't get a WR in the 1st. HE even said we'd be a good fit for him.

Watch FOX Sports and view live scores, odds, team news, player news, streams, videos, stats, standings & schedules covering NFL, MLB, NASCAR, WWE, NBA, NHL, college sports & more!

BOB BERGER: "Lee, in two weeks the draft will take place. You worked out for the Steelers, Bills and Browns. How did that go?"
    LEE EVANS: "It went well. We'll see if one of those teams pulls the trigger and takes me."

BOB STELTON: "Were any of them more interested than the others? Or do they all try and keep a poker face?"

EVANS: "Actually, they all did a pretty good job of telling me their mindset. The Bills seem to be the team where it's the most feasible that they'd take me. I mean, you look at the Steelers and they have three real good receivers. You look at the Browns, they are going through some things, but they have some good receivers over here. So I don't know, but Buffalo seems to be, of all the visits, the one that is probably the most feasible in taking me."
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

i am looking for whoever makes the team better.. and sooner rather than later.. but that doesnt have to mean as a rookie.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
      WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
      • Mar 2003

How many other teams would want Evans in the 2nd? Probably a few. And if Evans and Grove were both there in the 2nd I'd take Grove and take a WR in the 3rd.
      Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• The Quebecer
        • Jan 2003

In regards to the "Immediate vs Waiting", we have to take a "big picture" approach. He (the QB) must be a winner, a leader, and also, put butts in the stadium. That's what JK did.

That being said, TD has to do what is best for the Buffalo Bills short-term & long-term.

Short-term : Brings help for Bledsoe (MM, Clements, Wyche, McNally), revamp OL (draft + post-june 1st), brand-new #2 WR (2nd round pick).

Long-term: Draft Roethlisberger as 1st pick, provides team with a potentially great QB. Gets people excited about the Bills future with Roethlisberger, McGahee, brand-new #2 WR.

It should be all part of a "grand scheme plan", not only for this year, but for years to come.

Anyway, just my 0.02$
        "Thinking is the hardest thing there is, that's why so few engage in it!"

"Between stimulus and response there is a space.
        In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response.
        In those choices lie our growth and our hapiness."

"If you don't take care of your health now, you will undoubtly have to deal with your illness later!"

Comment

• cordog
          eat, drink, and be merry
          • Apr 2003

You have to look long-term when your talking about rookies. Not too many make an impact in their first year. About the only position you can look to for immediate returns is at rb. Some DE and OL do make an impact immediately but there was a quote in an article a couple days ago by TD talking about how everyone wanted them to go DL with the first pick last year, and the only 1st round DL to make an impact last year was Suggs. Ive been all about taking a WR with the first pick, but the more i look at it, the more i like the prospects of going in a different direction.

Comment

• helmetguy
            Touch the helmet for luck
            • Sep 2002

Two cents very well spent.

If not Roethlisbereger, possibly Rivers (depending on availability), but I like the way you're thinking, Quebec-practicality. Last season was one of the most exasperating as I can ever remember. That is, to see a team with considerable talent being handled so miserably; especially after bouncing back from 3-13 to 8-8 so quickly the previous season. Winning it all right now loses its luster if it is followed by years of misery immediately afterward. By maintaining some consistency and continuity, winning it all doesn't end up looking like a fluke.
            Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
            And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
              WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by The Quebecer
              In regards to the "Immediate vs Waiting", we have to take a "big picture" approach. He (the QB) must be a winner, a leader, and also, put butts in the stadium. That's what JK did.

That being said, TD has to do what is best for the Buffalo Bills short-term & long-term.

Short-term : Brings help for Bledsoe (MM, Clements, Wyche, McNally), revamp OL (draft + post-june 1st), brand-new #2 WR (2nd round pick).

Long-term: Draft Roethlisberger as 1st pick, provides team with a potentially great QB. Gets people excited about the Bills future with Roethlisberger, McGahee, brand-new #2 WR.

It should be all part of a "grand scheme plan", not only for this year, but for years to come.

Anyway, just my 0.02$
              Unfortunately this strategy ignores the O-line that has still yet to be improved. Would you then go OL in the 3rd round over say a TE? An OL lower than the 3rd would just be depth this year. And June 1st cuts aren't what they used to be. No O-line studs or even quality players are being released anymore.

Listen to McNally. Why is he constantly saying "Don't expect miracles."? Because he knows he still needs some quality players.
              Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

This O-line class isn't that great after Gallery, Carey, Grove.

Comment

• The Quebecer
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

Unfortunately this strategy ignores the O-line that has still yet to be improved. Would you then go OL in the 3rd round over say a TE? An OL lower than the 3rd would just be depth this year. And June 1st cuts aren't what they used to be. No O-line studs or even quality players are being released anymore.

Listen to McNally. Why is he constantly saying "Don't expect miracles."? Because he knows he still needs some quality players.
                  I would try to land Stephen Peterman, OG, LSU in the 3rd.
                  There is also post-june 1st cuts... this should provide TD with some possibilities for veterans OG...

Keep the faith!
                  "Thinking is the hardest thing there is, that's why so few engage in it!"

"Between stimulus and response there is a space.
                  In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response.
                  In those choices lie our growth and our hapiness."

"If you don't take care of your health now, you will undoubtly have to deal with your illness later!"

Comment

• fliefish
                    • Jan 2004

You can have Big Ben, I live down here in NC and I'm telling you that Rivers is the real deal. He has good enough physical skills but what will make him great is the mental ability to make good decisions quickly. If a qb has adequate arm strength and accuracy then I beleive the better he understands the offense and can make good decisions, the better player he is, as well as the entire team. His command of the offensive unit throughout a game reminds me of an old Notre Dame qb that went in the third round over 20 years ago.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                      • Mar 2003

Which would be.....
                      -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
                        Which would be.....
                        I think he's talking about Joe Montana but Rivers doesn't play like him at all, he's taller bigger arm and throws the ball differently.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                          • Mar 2003

ooo, ok. But yeah, Rivers doesn't really strike me a a Joe Montana QB at all.
                          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

I doubt the bills are looking to get an immediate starter in the the qb position in the draft. Drew will be the starter which means we are looking to "groom" a qb and not look for one to start.

TD is also looking into getting a vet qb just in case something happens to Drew which means he isn't looking for the draftee to start anytime soon until he's ready.

Why TD hasn't grabbed a vet qb yet could mean also that maybe he's waiting to see if he could nab either Ben or Rivers (per MM saying he would like rRivers if he's available at 13 ,but could be a smokescreen).
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

if we can get s.taylor in the 1st and grove in the 2nd,that could possibly be 2 impact players.
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X