How could a QB at #13 not cause a QB Controversy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRanger
    WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
    • Mar 2003

How could a QB at #13 not cause a QB Controversy??

This may break my truce status.

I'm not a Drew fanatic that doesn't see his shortcomings.

I'm also not a Drew basher that forgets he had a hell of a year 2 seasons ago.

I DO want the Bills to select their QB of the future in this draft. Just not in Round 1.

I think too many fans want them to pick the "opening day QB" with the #13 pick, though they may not admit it. Drafting a QB at #13 would cause a serious QB controversy in Bills Country. Lest we forget the RJ/DF days. It would divide the Bills fans into two extremes and middle ground. Just talking about the possibility of drafting a QB in Rd 1 has resulted in a truce being called. This message board (and any other Bill's board), to use a courtroom jury term, would become Poisonous if Big Ben or Rivers was selected.

One Extreme: Any QB taken at #13 would immediately have a large fan base that wanted him to be the starter...NOW. These are the Drew bashers that feel they saw enough of his incompetence last year to last a lifetime. Every good drive in preseason will be followed by posts and call-ins saying "give him a chance, he can't do any worse." They will openly cheer against Drew, as long as the Bills win I guess, so that there boy can get in the game. They would hate the Drew fans, and think the middle ground fans were weak pusses.

Middle ground: Of course there will be more level headed fans that want him to learn under Bledsoe for a full season. The Carson Plamer strategy. It remains to be seen if this is even possible though. Old QBs don't mind mentoring young QBs, but at 32, Drew is not that old (at least in his mind, which is important to the mentor idea). When he was mentoring 6th rd pick Brady do you think it occured to him that this guy would take his place so soon? Do you think he would be enthusiastic about this task once again. Both extremes would consider these fans weak pusses.

Then there are the Bledsoe fans that haven't given up on him yet. They will rail against TD for taking a 1st round QB when (insert name here) was still available. They will disagree with the middle ground fans, and absolutely hate the Rookie QB fans. If the "rookie QB" did get in a game, they would secretly hope for him to do bad, but the Bills still win.

A 3rd or 4th round QB could still be the QB of the future, maybe in 2005 or maybe in 2006. The pressure wouldn't be as great for him to "perform like a 1st round pick". The team and fans could still rally behind Drew for this season. If he did well, the Bills could decide to keep him another season, give the rookie another year to develop, and trade or release DB after 2005. If he did poorly, the Bills shouldn't pick up his bonus payment and DB's gone at the end of the season.
    Last edited by BuffaloRanger; 04-16-2004, 12:19 AM.
    Buffalo Only and Always.
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

So you would rather draft a lesser of a QB to avoid a controversy? If Drew would play good there would be no controversy.

Plain and simple, Drew will not be here in 2005. There isn't a chance in hell. We need our QB now. Let him sit on the bench for the year, or if the season is in shambles let him take over towards the end of the year and get his feet wet for 2005.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by BillsFever
      So you would rather draft a lesser of a QB to avoid a controversy? If Drew would play good there would be no controversy.

Plain and simple, Drew will not be here in 2005. There isn't a chance in hell. We need our QB now. Let him sit on the bench for the year, or if the season is in shambles let him take over towards the end of the year and get his feet wet for 2005.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
        • Mar 2003

You don't get the point. If Drew played decent. 225 yds a game, 1 td 1 Int, fans would still want to see what the Big Ben or Rivers could do. Hence the controversy.

I would rather have a less polished QB that every fan knows will need some time to develop (think Favre) over a QB that fans will want to start from day 1.
        Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
          • Mar 2003

I see you guys are already reserving spots on the "Rookie QB should start right away side"

You don't know Drew won't be here in 2005. If it was automatic than TD is the biggest idiot in football for not cutting the lame duck now, saving 6 million, and then move up in the draft.

TD is an idiot for not insisting Drew take a pay cut to help the team.

I guess we can all start posting for the bye week right now.

"Drew should start."

"Give the rookie a chance."

"Bills are doing well. No need to change"

"Rookie would take less sacks."

blah, blah, blah.
          Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• BillsFever
            Mr. Predictament
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
            You don't get the point. If Drew played decent. 225 yds a game, 1 td 1 Int, fans would still want to see what the Big Ben or Rivers could do. Hence the controversy.

I would rather have a less polished QB that every fan knows will need some time to develop (think Favre) over a QB that fans will want to start from day 1.
            You think Drew will be here forever? Sure, lets go get some suckass QB who will probably never amount to anything, or grab a stud at #13 who has a good chance to be great. Lets just avoid a controversy.

So say the Bills passed on Rothlesberger or Phillips to avoid a "controversy" and draft some bumb like Schaub or Harris in the 3rd or 4th round and they turned out to be a waste of sperm and Big Ben or Rivers were in championship games. Would you still feel the same then?

I guess the Jaguars should've passed on Leftwich last year and grabbed Dave Ragone or Chris Simms in the later rounds to avoid a "controversy". That would've worked out wonderful for them.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
              • Mar 2003

You think Drew will be here forever? Sure, lets go get some suckass QB who will probably never amount to anything, or grab a stud at #13 who has a good chance to be great. Lets just avoid a controversy.

So say the Bills passed on Rothlesberger or Phillips to avoid a "controversy" and draft some bumb like Schaub or Harris in the 3rd or 4th round and they turned out to be a waste of sperm and Big Ben or Rivers were in championship games. Would you still feel the same then?

I guess the Jaguars should've passed on Leftwich last year and grabbed Dave Ragone or Chris Simms in the later rounds to avoid a "controversy". That would've worked out wonderful for them.
              So Bills Fever were you a RJ fan or Flutie fan? I bet you hate the other side. This will be the same thing.

Leftwich has won how many games? Remember week #2 when the media was full of stories of Brunell "the soon to be replaced" against Drew who was in that same situation. Those will be the stories you hear all year long in Buffalo. Lucky for them Brunell got hurt, which opened the door alot easier for Leftwich.

The Bills have other needs at #13.

Go ahead and draft a QB at #13. Let the controversy begin. Bills fans take sides. Know your enemy.
              Last edited by BuffaloRanger; 04-16-2004, 01:05 AM.
              Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• BillsFever
                Mr. Predictament
                • Feb 2003

So Bills Fever were you a RJ fan or Flutie fan? I bet you hate the other side. This will be the same thing.

Leftwich has won how many games? Remember week #2 when the media was full of stories of Brunell "the soon to be replaced" against Drew who was in that same situation. Those will be the stories you hear all year long in Buffalo. Lucky for them Brunell got hurt, which opened the door alot easier for Leftwich.

The Bills have other needs at #13.

Go ahead and draft a QB at #13. Let the controversy begin. Bills fans take sides. Know your enemy.

Who the heck really cares? It's one season. The Jags have a future star in Leftwich now. Would you rather have Leftwich or Dave Ragone?

If Drew can't handle the pressure then we don't need him.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                  • Mar 2003

I'd rather have Patrick Ramsey. And look who'll be available in FA next offseason. Hmmm.
                  Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• BillsFever
                    Mr. Predictament
                    • Feb 2003

I'd rather have Patrick Ramsey. And look who'll be available in FA next offseason. Hmmm.

Many other teams would like to have Ramsey too. I guess we should wait to have a CHANCE to sign him....

Comment

• BillsFever
                      Mr. Predictament
                      • Feb 2003

Next season? I guess he signed a 3 year contract? Try 2 more years. Besides, he'd never hit FA. He will eventually be traded and signed to a new contract by someone.

Even if he was, then yeah I guess we should wait to HOPEFULLY sign him in FA

That's one of Drew's problems. He's never had any competition.

And also to refute your theory. It wouldn't matter who we have as a backup, if Drew is sucking the place up again they would be calling for him. Hell people were calling for Travis Brown last year.

This isn't the Bledsoe Bills. We don't make our decisions around what is best for Drew.

Nobody is even a Drew hater. We're poor player haters. If you suck you are hated. If he did good nobody would hate him. I know I wouldn't.

Comment

• doug45
                        • Jul 2002

NEVER take 2ND best if you can get better. Are you saying that the team should take a 2ND rate QB just so we don't make Drew Mad? Maybe if he was a liitle mad he might play better.

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

if he wins, people will keep quite. period.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

Its the NFL big boys play here. If Drew cant put up numbers he can leave, whether our back QB is Joe Montana or sdome 7th round rookie.

Your argument is essentially "because people will want to see what this 1st round rookie can do it will cause problems, so lets force less problems by drafting some knob in the 96th round so Drew HAS to stay and teach him"

ermmmmm right.
                            Last edited by Devin; 04-16-2004, 08:50 AM.
                            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• ryjam282
                              Offical Billszone Starting QB
                              • Mar 2003

Good point Devin....I see no point in drafting someone just so fans won't pick a favorite....We have to do what is best for the team.

Ryan Withey
                              Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

Working...
                              X