PDA

View Full Version : 40 Time is way Over rated

STAMPY
04-16-2004, 03:50 PM
This is in regards to Mike Williams, I really would love to have this kid in a bills jersey, he's unstoppable in red zone. So big, such great hands.

The 40 time is over rated. Jerry Rice the greatest WR ever... was never a burner, i think he did pretty damn well, Tim Brown another, Micheal Irvin another, Our own Andre Reed too. The list goes on... I think we need to look at what this kid did in college. He was awaesome. He'll be great opposite Moulds with Reed in slot

venis2k1
04-16-2004, 04:05 PM
i cant see the jets passing on him with the 12th pick, if he is there the bills will grab him, he is too good to pass up. but i think williams would be a pefect fit for the NYJs a big physical WR to pair with a Burner like santana moss could be a dangerous duo for pennington to throw to for years.

The Spaz
04-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
i cant see the jets passing on him with the 12th pick, if he is there the bills will grab him, he is too good to pass up. but i think williams would be a pefect fit for the NYJs a big physical WR to pair with a Burner like santana moss could be a dangerous duo for pennington to throw to for years.

They also traded for Mccareins. I would love it if the Bills took Mike William sthey guy is just too good to pass up no 180 LB. DB is going to be able to jam him at the line none.:up:

STAMPY
04-16-2004, 04:20 PM
i think the jets are going for a corner. i think mccareins addition filled the wr hole as spaz stated. moulds, williams, henry, magahee THAT'S SCARY

STAMPY
04-16-2004, 04:20 PM
a part of me wants losman, in a trade down in round 1 or trade up in 2

BillsOwnAll
04-16-2004, 04:50 PM
I hate the 40. If you got moves and hoops and just natrual skills your set.

I also think OL running the 40 is pointless. Thhey run 10 yards in a sprint tops, usualy only 3-4 yards a play.

TigerJ
04-16-2004, 05:15 PM
I think Tim Brown, when he came out of college was considered a speed receiver. He has slowed a lot over the years with injuries and age. Andre Reed was never a burner, but I think he ran a sub 4.5. He made his living catching balls over the middle, something not every receiver will do because you take the biggest hits over the middle. Reed could do it because he was so tough.

Mike Williams compensates for speed with height. Not many DBs can out jump an athletic 6'5" receiver. He may be irrelevant anyway (this year at least). The growing feeling is that the NFL is going to win their appeal and Williams is going to have to sit out, along with Clarett.

I've liked Reggie Williams all along. He's not a burner either, though he seems fast enough. He's going to beat corners mor on strength.

SABURZFAN
04-16-2004, 06:32 PM
i don't think the 40 is overrated.

Tatonka
04-16-2004, 09:23 PM
aiken has size too and runs as fast as mike williams.

The Spaz
04-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

You aren't attempting to compare those too are you?:boozer:

STAMPY
04-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

does aiken have the hands, confidence, skill and big play ability

SoCalBillsFan
04-16-2004, 10:55 PM
exactly totanka! It's more than just size and speed-its how you play the game.

antonio bryant has an amazing 40 time...

SABURZFAN
04-17-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
antonio bryant has an amazing 40 time...

he could be dangerous if he had a QB to throw to him.

TigerJ
04-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Mike Williams has 2-3 inches on Sam Aiken, who is 6'2" if I remember. Sam Aiken ran around a 4.65 preparing for the draft. Mike Williams wasn't much faster, but I think he's a little faster, .05-.1 in the 40.

I think Josh Reed is probably the best example of what I would want to say. Josh Reed and Lee Evans are comparable in size. Both have good hands (despite Reed's early season sophomore slump in '03). Josh Reed was extremely productive in college. In the pros it's starting to look like he's never going to be more than a #3 possession receiver. Lee Evans, by his third year is going to be a receiver teams have to think about as they scheme their defence because he's going to outrun most CBs one on one. A receiver with speed and nothing else is always going to be a non-factor, but a good receiver who's also very fast always causes problems for a defence, just as a good receiver who also is extremely tall is going to cause problems for a defence.

There are some receivers in the NFL who are neither fast nor tall. Think Wayne Chrebet. Chrebet has the ability to find seams in a zone and has some moves to get open. That makes him a valuable possession receiver, a guy who can move the chains on third down. There is always room for guys like that in the NFL, but it is a very different role than what you ask Marvin Harrison or Randy Moss to fill. For that role you almost have to have spme speed.