PDA

View Full Version : Rivers is the most intriguing mystery of the 2004 draft.

shadowfax
04-16-2004, 08:42 PM
I think Rivers is the most intriguing mystery of the 2004 draft. Will his skills translate or won't they? Will he be the next great passer and clutch player, or will he be the next danny weurffel, a great kid with an accurate arm and perfect attitude and poise who simply could not perform at the next level...?

Who's right, Bobby Bowden, who claims he's the best quarterback he's ever seen in 50 years, or Ron Jaworski, who thinks Losman is a much better prospect at the next level...? This is a huge question and debate, because it seems that several teams, perhaps even the Bills, are willing to move around for their chance at the River card.

I don't know, but I do know this: When this question is answerable, Rivers will be used as an example for every pivot prospect henceforth, either to encourage the positive view or whisper caution. This *****t is just fascinating.

If I was forced at knifepoint to put fifty bucks on a Rivers: The Man or Rivers: The Bust, I'd go with The Man...but I wouldn't be putting the future of a football team on the line. This is a pretty big deal. A personnel guy or two will either be promoted or fired for encouraging a Rivers pick. He will undoubtedly be the biggest story of the first round. He'll go higher than anyone thought, and someone's gonna pay to get him. And it was nary three months ago that he was figured as a 3rd rounder, 2nd round tops.

Anyway, here's my new crazy top 15 mock prediction. It's all coming together, beotch.

1. giants from bolts: manning
2. browns from raiders: gallery
3. cards: LFitz
4. jags from bolts: roy williams
5. skins: kellen winslow
6. lions: sean taylor
7. raiders: roethlisberger
8. bills from falcons: Rivers (not saying I like it, I'm just predicting it.) Chargers are stunned, their entire plan is thwarted. Steelers are miffed, which makes ol' Tom smirk. Bills give up a 2nd round pick in 2005.
9. bolts: Mike Williams. Bit of a panic pick that they know will be a salve to many bolts/usc fans, and particularly the local media.
10. Texans: Vince Wilfork
11. Stillers: DeAngelo Hall
12. Jets: Dunta Robinson
13. Falcons: Kenechi Udeze. They knew they'd get their guy anyway, and feel like they got something back for being ripped off on Peerless Price.
14. Bears wonder what just happend, get their guy Tommie Harris.
15. Bucs: Steven Jackson (bit of a surprise)

mightyspaz
04-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Well .... An interesting take. i'm still not convinced buffalo is sold on a QB first round. I can't really say I'm good at picking whose the better at positions in the draft ( I don't follow NCAA football to intensley), however I look more at the team needs and what seems to be more urgent. I still think it's a WR and a later QB might be better, or OL first.
Either way, I think both McNally adn Wyche are going to help develop the future of the Buffalo Bills during this season.

STAMPY
04-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
13. Falcons: Kenechi Udeze. They knew they'd get their guy anyway, and feel like they got something back for being ripped off on Peerless Price.

i wouldn't say they got ripped off. give the guy a full season with a real QB like VICK then we;ll talk... I wonder how well moulds or any other number 1 would do with Doug Johnson tossing him the ball

The Spaz
04-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE

i wouldn't say they got ripped off. give the guy a full season with a real QB like VICK then we;ll talk... I wonder how well moulds or any other number 1 would do with Doug Johnson tossing him the ball

Moulds did have pretty good years with Flutie and RJ tossing him the ball though.

mightyspaz
04-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Moulds did have pretty good years with Flutie and RJ tossing him the ball though.

True .... And I'd take Doug over Rob in a heartbeat! I'm scared of Vick though. If he stays healthy this year he's dangerous!

Tatonka
04-16-2004, 09:11 PM
shadow.. that is one of the best and most interesting writeups and mocks that i have seen so far this entire offseason.. and i have read about 500 of them.

:up: great work.

shadowfax
04-16-2004, 09:42 PM
awe, shucks. Thanks. Now only if Ingtar would help me into an NFL war room.

Originally posted by Tatonka
shadow.. that is one of the best and most interesting writeups and mocks that i have seen so far this entire offseason.. and i have read about 500 of them.

:up: great work.

STAMPY
04-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

doug has weaker arm then rob, less exp., and sucked even worse then rob did. and flutie was a good qb

Dozerdog
04-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Next year's #2 won't get yopu from #13 to #8

Dozerdog
04-16-2004, 11:41 PM
But other than the cost, great work!!

BigZ
04-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Nice job. I hope you're wrong about Buffalo trading up to get Rivers. I'd trade up to get Big Ben, not Rivers. I like Rivers at 13 or Losman in 2nd.

McBFLO
04-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by zielinski
Nice job. I hope you're wrong about Buffalo trading up to get Rivers. I'd trade up to get Big Ben, not Rivers. I like Rivers at 13 or Losman in 2nd.

Losman is going in the first, probably to Green Bay. Either them or the Chiefs.

Tatonka
04-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by pepperkorn
Losman is going in the first, probably to Green Bay. Either them or the Chiefs.

while that is a possibility, both of those teams have bigger immediate needs..

Mr. Cynical
04-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

while that is a possibility, both of those teams have bigger immediate needs..

Agreed. Favre and Green aren't going anywhere soon and both teams could use a star WR.