PDA

View Full Version : OT Kevin Sampson

RedEyE
04-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Sifting through draftee bio's, I came across OT Kevin Sampson. This OT from Syracuse looks really impressive on paper. His numbers are comparable to top 5 prospect Robert Gallery. Still, Sampson isn't projected to go in the 1st round. He would be an excellent grab mid 2nd, early 3rd rounds. Could be a draft steal. :idunno: I just found this really interesting.

Kevin Sampson's / 6' 4" / 312lbs
AGILITY TESTS
4.96 in the 40-yard dash … Bench presses 225 pounds 27 times … 32-inch vertical jump … 8-foot-11 broad jump … 4.47 20-yard shuttle … 7.18 three-cone drill

Robert Gallery's / 6' 7" / 323lbs
AGILITY TESTS
4.98 in the 40-yard dash … … Bench presses 225 pounds 24 times … 31-inch vertical jump … 4.38 20-yard shuttle … 7.43 three-cone drill … 32¼-inch arm length … 9¼-inch hands.

RedEyE
04-17-2004, 06:22 PM
OVERVIEW
Vastly underrated talent with a large wing span and excellent field smarts … Anchored the line from his right tackle position the last two years and also performed admirably on the field-goal and extra-point units … Tough, aggressive blocker who brings his wrestling mentality to the gridiron (undefeated heavyweight wrestler in his school) … Also excelled in the classroom, earning the school Athletic Director's Honor Roll four times.

RedEyE
04-17-2004, 06:23 PM
ANALYSIS
Positives: Tall, well-proportioned athlete with long arms, wide waist and hips, thick thighs and calves … Shows sudden movements dropping back in pass protection, extending his arms and delivering a crunching hand jolt to rock a defender on his heels … Does a fine job of bending his knees and going low to take defenders off their feet … Has good change-of-direction skills when moving laterally … Fluid moving to the second level, going low to chop-block linebackers in the open … Maintains balance after delivering the initial block, showing proper knee bend coming out of his stance … Moves his feet well in contact and keeps his hands right in a defender's chest to prevent the inside surge … Gets a good push off the snap and displays effective hand placement to re-direct the defenders away from the play.
Negatives: Despite his balance, he tends to get a little too high in his stance when working off the edge, which allows defenders to get their hands under his pads … Moves well laterally in the short area, but gets his leg base too narrow when heading upfield … Moves defenders off the ball with his size, but tends to lean into his man, causing the quicker defenders to get by with a good swim move … Needs to stand more flat-footed when anchoring to prevent defenders from knocking him off-balance.

justasportsfan
04-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Paging Ingtar...

TigerJ
04-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Although the bio calls him "tall," 6'4" isn't tall for an OT. It also says he tendes to have trouble with quicker guys. I wonder if he might be a candidate to move inside to guard.

RedEyE
04-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Although the bio calls him "tall," 6'4" isn't tall for an OT. It also says he tendes to have trouble with quicker guys. I wonder if he might be a candidate to move inside to guard.

I don't think that 6' 4" is small for an OT. There are several OTs currently playing in the NFL at that height.

I haven't seen the guy play, but the bio list of negatives seem to be correctable with good coaching. I'm just amazed that we haven't heard more about him.

The Spaz
04-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Mel Kiper Jr. has him ranked 11th out of 61 OT's so at least Sampson is getting some pub.:up:

RedEyE
04-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Mel Kiper Jr. has him ranked 11th out of 61 OT's so at least Sampson is getting some pub.:up:

Wow. He could go as late as the 5th round.

The Spaz
04-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah early second day sounds about right.

ShadowHawk7
04-17-2004, 10:16 PM
hmmm.... from what you've given me Red, I think he'd make a great 4th or an amazing 5th round pick, nice find.