X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

OT Kevin Sampson

Sifting through draftee bio's, I came across OT Kevin Sampson. This OT from Syracuse looks really impressive on paper. His numbers are comparable to top 5 prospect Robert Gallery. Still, Sampson isn't projected to go in the 1st round. He would be an excellent grab mid 2nd, early 3rd rounds. Could be a draft steal. I just found this really interesting.

Kevin Sampson's / 6' 4" / 312lbs
    AGILITY TESTS
    4.96 in the 40-yard dash … Bench presses 225 pounds 27 times … 32-inch vertical jump … 8-foot-11 broad jump … 4.47 20-yard shuttle … 7.18 three-cone drill

Robert Gallery's / 6' 7" / 323lbs
    AGILITY TESTS
    4.98 in the 40-yard dash … … Bench presses 225 pounds 24 times … 31-inch vertical jump … 4.38 20-yard shuttle … 7.43 three-cone drill … 32¼-inch arm length … 9¼-inch hands.
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

OVERVIEW
    Vastly underrated talent with a large wing span and excellent field smarts … Anchored the line from his right tackle position the last two years and also performed admirably on the field-goal and extra-point units … Tough, aggressive blocker who brings his wrestling mentality to the gridiron (undefeated heavyweight wrestler in his school) … Also excelled in the classroom, earning the school Athletic Director's Honor Roll four times.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

ANALYSIS
      Positives: Tall, well-proportioned athlete with long arms, wide waist and hips, thick thighs and calves … Shows sudden movements dropping back in pass protection, extending his arms and delivering a crunching hand jolt to rock a defender on his heels … Does a fine job of bending his knees and going low to take defenders off their feet … Has good change-of-direction skills when moving laterally … Fluid moving to the second level, going low to chop-block linebackers in the open … Maintains balance after delivering the initial block, showing proper knee bend coming out of his stance … Moves his feet well in contact and keeps his hands right in a defender's chest to prevent the inside surge … Gets a good push off the snap and displays effective hand placement to re-direct the defenders away from the play.
      Negatives: Despite his balance, he tends to get a little too high in his stance when working off the edge, which allows defenders to get their hands under his pads … Moves well laterally in the short area, but gets his leg base too narrow when heading upfield … Moves defenders off the ball with his size, but tends to lean into his man, causing the quicker defenders to get by with a good swim move … Needs to stand more flat-footed when anchoring to prevent defenders from knocking him off-balance.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Paging Ingtar...
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Although the bio calls him "tall," 6'4" isn't tall for an OT. It also says he tendes to have trouble with quicker guys. I wonder if he might be a candidate to move inside to guard.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
            Although the bio calls him "tall," 6'4" isn't tall for an OT. It also says he tendes to have trouble with quicker guys. I wonder if he might be a candidate to move inside to guard.
            I don't think that 6' 4" is small for an OT. There are several OTs currently playing in the NFL at that height.

I haven't seen the guy play, but the bio list of negatives seem to be correctable with good coaching. I'm just amazed that we haven't heard more about him.

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Mel Kiper Jr. has him ranked 11th out of 61 OT's so at least Sampson is getting some pub.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                Mel Kiper Jr. has him ranked 11th out of 61 OT's so at least Sampson is getting some pub.

Wow. He could go as late as the 5th round.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Yeah early second day sounds about right.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                    • Mar 2003

hmmm.... from what you've given me Red, I think he'd make a great 4th or an amazing 5th round pick, nice find.
                    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                    X