PDA

View Full Version : I am sure this subject has been posted before

moogyman
04-18-2004, 01:43 AM
..........but i'll have a go anyway. With all the talk about drafting a WR or QB in the first round, stop and think for a second what position is most important to the offence.........the QB......WR......ummmm, NO! THE OL, that's right the big ugly f***ers up front. What's that you say " well geez that's a no brainer ". Well the way I look at it , you could have the best QB,WR, and RB in the leauge.....but if you don't have anybody protecting the QB's ass, this amount's to nothing. Let's face it people, our OL sucked....and sucked bad. Put any spin your little heart desires on it, Bledsoe was not entirely to blame for our pathetic excuse for an offence last year, nor were the WR's. Most of you will say that we got rid of our most blantent achilles' heel, which would be coaching.....and yes I do tend to agree, but the fact of the matter is that with no O-line ...NO SB. Very common Sense imo. It just strikes me as being funny that most of the
discussion is stuck on the skill positions, and not what this team really needs. I may be in the minority, but I think that the OL should be the priority
. If not the first then at least the second.
I'm not sure TD feels this way, if not than that is a damn shame. He know's more about it than I do. I guess I'm just so friggin tired of this team failing. OK you may now begin to rip my post apart. thank you for your time
:)

Tatonka
04-18-2004, 03:05 AM
ok.. i will start by saying..

i agree.

BUT.. this is the deal.

our line is set at both tackle spots (starters and backup) w/ jennings, williams, and price/sullivan (he may be the starting guard though).

the guard spot is a ?. villarrial is locked in at RG. LG is between Sullivan, Tucker, Sobieski, and Puccillo. this is obviously prior to any draft pick we take. so that is one spot that could use a guy, possibly.. although i tend to think that sullivan can be a real stud, w/ just a bit of coaching.

the center spot is teague and sobieski. teague is average at best, and has trouble snapping shotgun. sobieski is completely unproven and we have zero idea what he can do. teague may be better suited at guard than center.. but personally, i think he would be best on the bench.

this is a very weak oline draft. essentially, you have 2 top tackles, 1 top guard, 1 top center.

gallery will be long gone by 13.

andrews is a relatively large risk considering he was 400 lbs just a few months ago. he reminds me of aaron gibson, but could be incredible. he could also play guard. if we drafted him, i would trust that TD and company know what they are getting. so he is one option at 13, but a risky one at that.

carey is the top guard, without question. 13 is way to high for him.. he is a late first rounder.. which means that at 13, he is not an option. trading down requires 2 to tango.. there is no guarentee that we can trade down, even if we want to.

grove is the top center.. but there is no way you take him at 13 either.. same deal as above with carey.. 2 to tango..

so basically, as far as an olineman in the 1st.. it is really the risky andrews pick, or nothing.

by the time the 2nd rolls around.. we can keep our fingers crossed that a guy like grove, carey, snee, smiley or the like will be there.. but what if we missed out on the top 3 qbs.. and losman is sitting there still? i take losman over any of those OL in a heartbeat. it is alot easier to find an OL later in the draft who has real talent than it is to find a qb that runs a 4.6 and has brett farves arm.

really what it comes down to, is that you read about the skill player talk here.. but td is calling the shots, and he will do what he can, i am sure. we all know that Ralph Wilson said himself that the OL WILL be fixed. i believe that to be true. but what round is another question.. because we cant control what other people pick.

my personal preference at this point would be to trade down.. get losman first. grove second, and jenkins or henderson with the other second.. but that would requires some serious luck.

SABURZFAN
04-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Tatonka hit the nail on the head.i would like an OL too.udeze is the ONLY DE i would consider at #13 but he may be gone.chances are that the best pick may be wilfork because adams and PW won't be around forever.i would like for us to trade down into carey territory though.

Forward_Lateral
04-18-2004, 01:52 PM
I disagree that we need another lineman. We need a speedy, stretch the field WR. Our O-line will be fine with McNally guiding it and Sullivan finally getting a chance to play. Let's face it, Reed is not a deep threat, and Shaw isn't either.

ShadowHawk7
04-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
my personal preference at this point would be to trade down.. get losman first. grove second, and jenkins or henderson with the other second.. but that would requires some serious luck.

That would be a dream come true, but I think it may be more realistic than you think, as long as we can find someone to trade down with. I'm still hoping the pats will trade their 21 and 32 for our 13 and maybe a 5th rounder.

JefftheBillsfan
04-18-2004, 07:44 PM
The only position I would like to see an upgrade at is C. I'll take my chances with Sully @ LG. He seemed to me to play RG well 2 years ago, hopefully whatever happened last year is behind him now. But we'll see. The only way I draft OL is if Grove is there in round 2.

Tatonka
04-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
I disagree that we need another lineman. We need a speedy, stretch the field WR. Our O-line will be fine with McNally guiding it and Sullivan finally getting a chance to play. Let's face it, Reed is not a deep threat, and Shaw isn't either.

this is the deepest wr draft in years.. there i no sense whatsoever in burning an early pick on a wr, when one that could end up being just as good could be had in the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round.

BigZ
04-18-2004, 10:09 PM
All good points everybody. We need to upgrade OL, get a future QB, a WR and maybe the DL. It all depends on what other people take ahead of us or if TD decides to move up for someone. In less than 6 days we'll have the answer.

BuffaloRanger
04-18-2004, 10:46 PM
I agree with Moogyman. And have stated that the Oline needs to be improved.

Everyone wanted to see the Oline improved. BUT IT HASN"T HAPPENED YET. Anything higher than a 3rd rd pick will just be depth. McNally can't do miracles, he's said so himself. June 1st cuts don't contain decent O-lineman.

Somehow the Oline still needs one more quality player - preferably a Center that doesn't get pushed 5 yds back every snap.