PDA

View Full Version : We don't need a Center

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-18-2004, 02:40 AM
:idea: We don't need to draft a center we got one and no I'm not talking about Teague. I'm talking about Jon Dorenbos he was on special teams as a long snapper last yr. I think he could fit in nicely at the Center position and then we can move Teague back into his normal position. :feedback:

Dozerdog
04-18-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
:idea: We don't need to draft a center we got one and no I'm not talking about Teague. I'm talking about Jon Dorenbos he was on special teams as a long snapper last yr. I think he could fit in nicely at the Center position and then we can move Teague back into his normal position. :feedback:

Uhhh... no freakin' way

He's a long snapper- and a linebacker if need be. He weighs only 250 and would get creamed out there. It would be suicide.

You would play Sobieski, Jennings, and Villarriall at center before you get to Doronbos.

Tatonka
04-18-2004, 02:47 AM
:rofl:

Tatonka
04-18-2004, 02:48 AM
maybe he can do some magic trick to make him 325 w/ 10 years of experience?

:idunno:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-18-2004, 03:13 AM
put this in the spam folder I don't want to see it ever again or have someone that works on Billszone delete it.

SABURZFAN
04-18-2004, 07:58 AM
put this in the spam folder I don't want to see it ever again or have someone that works on Billszone delete it.

how about the "Thread of Shame?"we can make this one the first induction.:snicker:

The_Philster
04-18-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
how about the "Thread of Shame?"we can make this one the first induction.:snicker:

How would this be the first? LOG's had so many candidates for that honor. :idunno:

The Spaz
04-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Now that was funny!!!!!!!!!!:rofl::lol:

RedEyE
04-18-2004, 09:25 AM
:chuckle:

We could put Josh Reed at Nose Tackle? :idunno:

shadowfax
04-18-2004, 09:30 AM
jeeeeeeez....

justasportsfan
04-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Nothing funny about what he said. If it's not against the rules to make the football disappear and then reappear in the endzone, I'm all for it. The ref can sign the ball to make sure it's the very same ball. Dorenbos can also be credited for the completion+pass yards+ Td. :D

TigerJ
04-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Let's take it easy on the guy. Haven't you ever taken a mulligan before?

Mr. Cynical
04-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Nothing funny about what he said. If it's not against the rules to make the football disappear and then reappear in the endzone, I'm all for it. The ref can sign the ball to make sure it's the very same ball. Dorenbos can also be credited for the completion+pass yards+ Td. :D

:rofl:

Mr. Cynical
04-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Let's take it easy on the guy. Haven't you ever taken a mulligan before?

Good point... although I think most of the posts were all in good fun. ;)

BillsChamp - Dozer and tonk's explanations are the reason why it wouldn't be a good idea. He is too light and doesn't have the experience running with a full offense, e.g., long snappers are only on the field for one play at a time, they don't face the normal defense, and they don't run with the full set of plays like a real center. The transition would be monumental. As dozer said it would be far easier to move a G over if needed.

Then again, at least he would be able to get it to Drew in the shotgun formation, unlike TT. :snicker: ;)

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-18-2004, 02:29 PM
:wail:

ShadowHawk7
04-18-2004, 03:03 PM
speaking of this guy, does anyone think his "exceptional long snapping skills" really helped Moorman to his near pro bowl form?

G. Host
04-18-2004, 06:41 PM
I think the snap where he missed and Moorman picked it up and ran for a first down helped more! It gave him coverage on ESPN and a lot of fans voted for him thinking 'I wish our punter could do that'.

BillsFever
04-18-2004, 06:45 PM
I think we could make Justin Bannan our new FS.

Dozerdog
04-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Other than flinging the ball between their legs, their jobs are completely different.

A center calls the blocking assignments, snaps the ball, then either relies on brute strength and/or angles to drive his opponent one way or another- or backwards if it's a running play. He is usually engaging a 300-325 pound NT or DT like Pat Williams.

Doronbos 's job is different. Usually the opposition does not put in a 300 pound behemoth on punts/FGs (Well, maybe a FG if he's exceptionally tall and or has very long arms)- either way- the center of the line on punts/ FGs does not concentrate on penetration. On Punts they usually hold their ground momentarially until it's determined not a fake, then they fall back down field to set up blocking. Usually you see backup linebackers, TE's, RBs and at most, a DE comprising the line.

Doronbos's job is to snap- pick up a blitzing DB or whatever who might attempt a block up the middle (if they chose to do so) then release as soon as the punt is struck. His next job is to scoot 30-40 yards down field in kick coverage. A300 pound lineman would not be able to do that.

That's why even if your center can execute long snaps perfectly, he's usually not in there (at least in punt coverage) - they just can't get down field or chase down kick returners.

justasportsfan
04-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Other than flinging the ball between their legs, their jobs are completely different.

A center calls the blocking assignments, snaps the ball, then either relies on brute strength and/or angles to drive his opponent one way or another- or backwards if it's a running play. He is usually engaging a 300-325 pound NT or DT like Pat Williams.

Doronbos 's job is different. Usually the opposition does not put in a 300 pound behemoth on punts/FGs (Well, maybe a FG if he's exceptionally tall and or has very long arms)- either way- the center of the line on punts/ FGs does not concentrate on penetration. On Punts they usually hold their ground momentarially until it's determined not a fake, then they fall back down field to set up blocking. Usually you see backup linebackers, TE's, RBs and at most, a DE comprising the line.

Doronbos's job is to snap- pick up a blitzing DB or whatever who might attempt a block up the middle (if they chose to do so) then release as soon as the punt is struck. His next job is to scoot 30-40 yards down field in kick coverage. A300 pound lineman would not be able to do that.

That's why even if your center can execute long snaps perfectly, he's usually not in there (at least in punt coverage) - they just can't get down field or chase down kick returners. that's it? He should have a lot time to play golf w/ the kickers then and make 0ver $200,000/year.

TypicalBill
04-19-2004, 12:17 AM
:lolpoint:
:wail:

BuffaloRanger
04-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Long Snapper is only important when your team is lining up for the game winning FG. No big deal, right?

Throne Logic
04-19-2004, 05:18 AM
OH, never underestimate the importance of the long snapper.

SABURZFAN
04-19-2004, 06:32 AM
:monkey:

Originally posted by TypicalBill
:lolpoint: