Would you be mad if we drafted Rivers

Would you be mad if we selected Rivers?
  • BlueFire
    • Jun 2003

Depends on who else is available.

Comment

• gonzo1105
      • Jul 2002

No not unless Manning is available and I really highly dont even give it a chance that that'll happen

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

depending on whos avail, but at 13 id love the idea.
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• That Guy
          • Apr 2004

I don't like players who move up a lot just because of their workouts. I'd be wary of him... in the original mock drafts they had him going late first round/early second... now he's suddenly a top 5/10 pick. I'm not sure what made him go so far up, but it obviously wasn't his play on the field during an actual football game.

Either way, I guess I'd be okay with it, since they really need to go into the direction of quarterback eventually. However, in my opinion, he isn't anywhere close to Manning or Roethlisberger.

Comment

• gonzo1105
            • Jul 2002

Woah obviously not what he did on the field. That is his man credential along with all the intangibles. The reason he was a 2nd rounder was his delievery and suspect arm strength. Now GM's know his delivery isn't a problem and during his workouts showed better arm strength then they thought

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by That Guy
              I don't like players who move up a lot just because of their workouts. I'd be wary of him... in the original mock drafts they had him going late first round/early second... now he's suddenly a top 5/10 pick. I'm not sure what made him go so far up, but it obviously wasn't his play on the field during an actual football game.

Either way, I guess I'd be okay with it, since they really need to go into the direction of quarterback eventually. However, in my opinion, he isn't anywhere close to Manning or Roethlisberger.
              i completely agree with you. one or two work outs shouldnt prove what scouts thought of you based on the last four years of school wrong. i like rivers and all, but if we take him over roy, mike, or tommie i will be very upset
              the dude abides

Comment

• That Guy
                • Apr 2004

Let me say this, I'm not a big fan of the combine or any Pro Days to determine where a guy is going to go.

After watching him on the field they said 'This guy is going to go somewhere in the middle of Day One'. If they can tell that he's going to have problems from his play on the college field, most likely he's going to struggle a bit in the NFL. I don't think there should be ANYTHING, ANY FACTOR that moves a guy up 40 picks into the top 10 tier because of a workout on a college practice field against air.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

I totally agree. When I see that, I think of Mike Mamula and guys like Erik Flowers. I am not too naive to think that they might actually be worth it, but I feel that if after the season they don't think he is worth a top ten pick, why would he all of the sudden move up after a couple all star games when the players have never played together before and they play vanilla offenses and defenses.

Welcome to the zone, I donated you some zonebucks.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                    I totally agree. When I see that, I think of Mike Mamula and guys like Erik Flowers. I am not too naive to think that they might actually be worth it, but I feel that if after the season they don't think he is worth a top ten pick, why would he all of the sudden move up after a couple all star games when the players have never played together before and they play vanilla offenses and defenses.

Welcome to the zone, I donated you some zonebucks.
                    Let me say this, I'm not a big fan of the combine or any Pro Days to determine where a guy is going to go.

After watching him on the field they said 'This guy is going to go somewhere in the middle of Day One'. If they can tell that he's going to have problems from his play on the college field, most likely he's going to struggle a bit in the NFL. I don't think there should be ANYTHING, ANY FACTOR that moves a guy up 40 picks into the top 10 tier because of a workout on a college practice field against air.
                    hey guys.. you are way off here... way off. i can understand your concern of a workout warrior.. but i would put a guy like ben watson in that class.. not rivers.. watson was a 3 round guy.. then ran a 4.4 and benched 34 reps and scored a 31 on his wonderlic and shot up the charts to a early 2nd guy..

rivers is not same at all.. his college stats are much better than that of almost all college qbs.. ever. there was never any doubt about his college skill. the reason that he was considered a 2nd/3rd round guy is because scouts and gms were concerned about his release and arm strength.. plain and simple. his work outs have not been spectacular.. nothing above the ordinary.. there were in no way superior to what big ben did in his work out, with the 60 yard bomb standing flat footed.. the simple fact is that scouts and gms got to meet him.. see his release up close.. see that he was capable of making all the throws.. and when they got those reassurances, along with the fact that he was absolutely dominant in college over the 51 games he started, it is easy to see why he moved up.

he is far from a workout warrior..
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

41 on his wonderlic!

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

same difference.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• That Guy
                          • Apr 2004

I understand what the argument is here, but I don't understand what could possibly move a guy up 40 picks. Plain and simple, this guy was a second round pick after playing four seasons of surely outstanding college football. That's all I need to know. After playing the actual game of football, he was a second round pick. In my opinion, nothing that a GM sees in a workout can justifiably move a player up forty spots.

I'm young, so I'll use this reference as well as I can.... but Rick Mirer was barely in the Top 100 on Mel Kiper's overall draft list in 1993. I'd say he was only picked at second overall because of things that were seen off the field, or because Seattle was desperate for a quarterback, and the best one was gone (Bledsoe). He turned out very well, eh?

Am I saying that Rivers is Rick Mirer? No. Am I saying Rivers is going to turn out bad? No. Am I saying that 13 is still a risky place to take Rivers? Yes.

Comment

• lunatic_bills_fan
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka

hey guys.. you are way off here... way off. i can understand your concern of a workout warrior.. but i would put a guy like ben watson in that class.. not rivers.. watson was a 3 round guy.. then ran a 4.4 and benched 34 reps and scored a 31 on his wonderlic and shot up the charts to a early 2nd guy..

rivers is not same at all.. his college stats are much better than that of almost all college qbs.. ever. there was never any doubt about his college skill. the reason that he was considered a 2nd/3rd round guy is because scouts and gms were concerned about his release and arm strength.. plain and simple. his work outs have not been spectacular.. nothing above the ordinary.. there were in no way superior to what big ben did in his work out, with the 60 yard bomb standing flat footed.. the simple fact is that scouts and gms got to meet him.. see his release up close.. see that he was capable of making all the throws.. and when they got those reassurances, along with the fact that he was absolutely dominant in college over the 51 games he started, it is easy to see why he moved up.

he is far from a workout warrior..
                            I dunno T, I cant see them being able to make that kind of decision on "seeing it up close", these scouts had 4 years of sseing this kid play if they wanted. Everyone already knew how he throws.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

I understand what the argument is here, but I don't understand what could possibly move a guy up 40 picks.
                              first of all..you dont know he was considered a second round pick.. you know what "draft experts" thought he would be.

rivers didnt have to throw a ton of deep balls in college.. that was not the offense they ran.. he also threw the ball a bit weird. scouts and gms got a chance to see that it was not going to be an issue and that was the only thing that would have conceivably been a concern.

therefore, once those issues were investigated and cleared up, they ranked him where he is now.

my point is that he is NOT a workout warrior.. he isnt doing anything different than he was expected to do at workouts.. the simple fact is that people didnt know enough about him and know they do and he will be drafted accordingly because of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X