PDA

View Full Version : Elltrain22's mock draft

elltrain22
04-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Here is my own version of the mock draft. This is how I see it going down.

I was 4 outta 4 in my final 4 picks...

IT is in reverse order, for better suspense...

** denotes trade

32. New England Patriots: Jacob Rogers, OT- USC
With Damien Woody and Mike Compton gone, the Pats will draft Rogers to help add some needed depth to their 2004 offensive line.

31. Carolina Panthers: Vernon Carey, G- Univ. or Miami (Fl.)
Gone are Jeno James, Todd Steussie, and Kevin Donnaley has retired; which leaves Carolina with only 2 returning starters at offensive line. Carolina will flirt with improving their secondary, but will look to re bolster thier very strong line in 2003. Vernon Carey should help them do just that, as he will be an absolute steal at pick 31.

30. Kansas City Chiefs: Michael Clayton, WR- LSU
Wide receiver and defensive tackle should be the positions the Chiefs draft with their first two picks. The Chiefs would love for Lee Evans to fall to them, but will settle on Michael Clayton.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Karlos Dansby, LB- Auburn
Defense is the priority for the Colts, not only in the first round, but probably throughout most of the draft. The team lost three starters from last year's unit, including SLB Marcus Washington and CBs Walt Harris and David Macklin. It also lost "wave" DL Chad Bratzke. Considering the loss of Washington and Mike Peterson (Jaguars) the last two years, outside linebacker is clearly the most pressing need, and Dansby could step right into the 2004 starting lineup.

28. Philadelphia Eagles: Ricardo Colclough, CB-Tusculum University
Last year's corners Troy Vincent and Bobby Williams are both gone, and now Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard are 1 and 2 on the depth chart. Colchough has alot of scouts impressed at his ability, and Andy Reid will not be influenced by his small school college experience.

27. Tennessee Titans: Rashaun Woods, WR- Oklahoma St.
With Justin McCariens now with the Jets, and virtually no one to throw the ball to, the Titans will draft Woods, who actually may have been a higher pick if he would've went out last year.

26. St. Louis Rams: Ben Troupe, TE- Univ. of Florida
With not a whole lot of depth at this position, the Rams will try to add a very good prospect at the tight end position. Troupe is strong, powerful, and has great hands, and should make a strong transition into the NFL game.

25. Green Bay Packers: Lee Evans, WR- Univ. of Wisconsin
Lee Evans will not have to travel very far, and should become an instant fan favorite in Green Bay. Evans will probably end up at being the Packers 3rd or 4th wide reciever in 2004, but with development could become a legitimate number 1 or number 2 wide reciever.
24. Cincinnati Bengals: Marcus Tubbs, DT- Univ. of Texas
Marcus Tubbs is very athletic for a 325 pound lineman. He’s got excellent size, power, and quickness, with a great up-field burst. Cincie should work him into thier rotation next year, but if not should develop into a nice DT.

23. Seattle Seahawks: Randy Starks, DT- Univ. of Maryland
With the signing of FA Grant Wistrom, Starks will try to add more depth into an improving defensive line.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Kevin Jones, RB- Virgina Tech
They want, and will cross their fingers for Stephen Jackson, but will still be happy to get Kevin Jones, who had a breakout year for the Hoakies in 2003.

**21. New York Jets: Jonathon Vilma, LB- Univ. of Miami (Fl.)
The Jets must start to think about re-tooling their linebacking core, after losing both Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones. Vilma could really be a steal at 21, as he has all the makings of a great linebacker in the NFL.

20. Miami Dolphins: Shawn Andrews, OT- Arkansas Univ.
After losing 4 of thier top offensive lineman in this years offseason, Miami will try to repiece together their offensive line. Andrews is a devastating run blocker, probably one of the best in the draft. He is quick off the line and has good balance and agility.

19. Minnesota Vikings: Will Smith, DE- Ohio State
Will Smith will be one guy who could land here at 19 or up to possibly 10, but with the recent rise in Udeze's popularity, Will Smith will fall into Minnesota's lap. Despite slipping, Smith still has tremendous upside, but just happens to be in a draft with a whole lot of great WR's, and not alot of teams who need Defensive Ends.

18. New Orleans Saints: Chris Gamble, CB- Ohio State
Without question, one big time need for this Saints organization is to improve their very weak secondary, and hopefully Gamble can help out. Gamble is a phenemonal athlete who played both offense and defense just 2 seasons ago at Ohio State. Only weakness is his lack of experience playing cornerback, but the Saints will take the chance.

17. Denver Broncos: DJ Williams, LB- Univ. of Miami (Fl.)
D.J. Williams is tremendous player and has all the physical skills you look for in a linebacker. Williams should help out a suspect defense who was absolutely embarrassed against Peyton Manning and the Colts in last years playoff loss.

16. San Francisco 49ers: Tommie Harris, DT/DE- Oklahoma Univ.
Many people will wonder why it took so long for Tommie Harris to be drafted, but Harris could possibly prove everyone wrong. Harris will get a chance to play in San Fran. Harris has very good pass rushing skills, yet he holds up well against the run. He has started since he was a true freshman at Oklahoma, so he has tons of experience for an underclassmen. He also has good closing speed for a big man.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Reggie Williams, WR- Washington Univ.
After already adding Joey Galloway, Reggie Williams will give Tampa another option to throw the ball to, what really looks like will be a totally new offense in 2004. Williams has good speed for his size, great natural ability, and excellent hands. He is very physical, has good strength, and rarely loses out on a jump ball.

14. Chicago Bears: Vince Wilfork, DT- Miami Univ (Fl.)
With many people thinking about Chicago taking Tommie Harris, the Bears will pass and take Vince Wilfork. Chicago really likes Wilfork, and will help anchor a poor 2003 run defense.

13. Buffalo Bills: Philip Rivers, QB- N.C. State
GM Tom Donahoe, and new coach Mike Malarkey will be very happy to nab their guy. Donahoe and Malarkey have not made any secret how much they like Rivers, and will come into an organization where he can learn under Drew Bledsoe his first year, and then maybe start in 2005.

**12. New England Patriots: Stephen Jackson, RB- Oregon St.
The running back answer will finally be solved in New England, and yes, the will fill-in the most needed piece into an already 2-time super bowl champion team. Goes to show, the rich do get richer!

11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dunta Robinson, CB- South Carolina Univ.
The Steelers will pass on Rivers to take Dunta Robinson, to help a very weak Pittsburgh secondary. Bill Cohwer will sweat this one out, but will chose to improve his defense over his offense.

10. Houston Texans: DeAngelo Hall, CB- Virginia Tech
Dom Capers will get another piece, of what looks like it could be a very good defense lining up for the Texans in 2004. Hall has it all, speed, hands, and can make big plays for his team.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Mike Williams, WR- USC
Mike Williams would have been a higher choice, but he slipped due to a poor 40 time, and a bad overall workout. Williams is still huge, very physical, and looks great on film. I sincerely think Mike Williams will make the Jags very happy, and could leave the previous 8 teams mad they did not take him instead.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Kenechi Udeze, DE- USC
New coach, Jim Mora Jr. will go defense first, and choose Kenechi Udeze, who has also enjoyed a rise in his draft position. Udeze is a bit undersized, but his aggressiveness, and quickness to getting to the quarterback make him a very exciting player.

7. Cleveland Browns: Sean Taylor, S- Miami Univ. (Fl.)
The University of Miami will look good here as Sean Taylor will be drafted right after his teammate, Kellen Winslow Jr. Taylor is the best DB in the draft, and look for him to have as much of an impact his rookie year much the same way a Terrence Newman did for the Cowboys. He is that good!

6. Detroit Lions: Kellen Winslow Jr., TE- Miami Univ. (Fl.)
With the Lions picking at 6, they will feel like they are at 1 or 2 when they nab KW3. Winslow has it all, speed, size, and is versatile with how you can line him up ( ALA- Jeremey Shockey ). Winslow can hopefully another weapon for 3rd year quarterback, Joey Harrington.

**5. Oakland Raiders: Roy Williams, WR- Texas Univ.
Roy, Mike, Reggie, the list goes on... Of all the prolific Williams that are in this years draft, Roy will hear his name first. Roy Williams has shot up the board lately mainly because his 40 time was very fast (4.37), and his individual workouts were great. Oakland will battle with this decision, but will end up with a great reciever.

**4. San Diego: Ben Roethlisberger, QB- Miami (Oh.)
The Chargers will pass on Manning, and get, what many people think, could be the best quarterback in this years draft. Roethlisberger has size, a cannon for an arm, and can get out of the pocket for a big guy. The Chargers will be booed maybe at first, but once Charger fans realize who they got instead, they will be happy with the end result.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, WR- Pitt Univ.
New coach Dennis Green wants to give Josh McCown a chance to be a starter in the NFL, so Arizona will pass on Big Ben, to take one of the most exciting playmakers in this years draft. Fitzgerald can go deep, over the middle, and has "velcro" like hands. His athleticism is coupled by a great work ethic, and should really be a great addition to a bad Arizona Cardinal team.

**2. Washington Redskins: Robert Gallery, OT- Iowa Univ.
The Skins will trade Chris Samuels away to get, by far and away, the best offensive lineman in the draft. Gallery is quick ( ran a 4.9 40 ), elusive on his feet, relentless in his blocking, and he is absolutely huge, which is essential coming into the NFL. Gallery is one who seems to be the sure fire selection for anyone.

**1. NY Giants: Eli Manning, QB- Ole Miss Univ.
Ernie Acorsi wants to get this deal done, and bring in a franchise type quarterback, one whom they feel can take them to the next level. Manning is a savy field general, with a knack for making the big play when it counts. New York reeps the reward, and once again San Diego will be ridiculed for trading their #1 pick away.

Let me know what yous think

The Natrix
04-18-2004, 05:26 PM
If Minny can get Will Smith and he pans out, with the addition of Winny and an already dangerous O, it could finally be their year.

elltrain22
04-18-2004, 06:27 PM
That was like the 3rd mock draft I have done ( but this one has the most time and effort, and Will Smith is really low on this one, but I don't think that is reflection of his talent, but it is just a lot of teams have different needs other than DE's. Plus rookie DE's usually cannot step in and dominate, unless your Jevon Kearse or Julius Peppers. None of the awesome DE's that went out last year really had big impacts, and so GM's might remember this, and draft differently

Tatonka
04-18-2004, 06:59 PM
good job bud.

juice
04-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Good rundown ELL... I think Pitts. might pass on Rivers also, because they still have to address the RB issue

Devin
04-18-2004, 08:35 PM
you mean CB?

juice
04-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Who do they have besides Bettis at RB?

elltrain22
04-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Who do they have besides Bettis at RB?

They signed Duce Staley from Phily. They also released Amos Zerowae. RB, for the Steelers is not a #1 priority. For the Steelers, their secondary has got to be their #1 priority. First of all, they have lost Dewayne Washington to the Jags, and released Brent Alexander. They have a weak four in the secondary right now: ( Deshea Townsend & Chad Scott @ cb, and Mike Logan, and Troy Polamalu @ safety ). Obviously, this is a weakness for them, which was bad in almost all the games they played last year. They better not take Rivers, I would really hate the Steelers if they stole him from us. But I still do think there is a good possibility that SD drafts Rivers, b/c I have heard they are really high on him. I cant wait for the draft....

Tatonka
04-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by juice
Good rundown ELL... I think Pitts. might pass on Rivers also, because they still have to address the RB issue

duce staley is the the starter.. they will go cb or qb i think.

BuffaloRanger
04-19-2004, 04:30 AM
It appears that every team will be happy in the 1st round!

"Would be verry happy with _____"

"_____ would be a real steal."

I'd like to see...

"The team will be really pissed that _____ gets picked before them"

Throne Logic
04-19-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
It appears that every team will be happy in the 1st round!

Yup.

Even if Buffalo doesn't get the guy each of us believes they should pick, I really don't see anyone being truly all that disappointed with whomever we choose.

Well, we'd best not choose another RB. . . :travel:

SABURZFAN
04-19-2004, 06:20 AM
i don't see the Jets trading with the Pats.