PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe's rep on the line in draft

The_Philster
04-19-2004, 05:07 AM
By Sal Maiorana
Tom Donahoe made it known last week during a pre-draft get-together with western New York reporters that he is not a dictator in the Bills’ war room.
”The drafts are the Buffalo Bills’ drafts; they’re not my drafts,” the Bills’ president and general manager said. “We work very hard on this together. It’s a collective approach to it. The coaches are important; obviously Tom (Modrak, the assistant general manager) and the scouts are extremely important.”

However, Donahoe also recognized that because he leads the organization, ultimately it is his reputation on the line when the Bills begin selecting players Saturday.

”I’ll get too much credit if a guy works out and too much criticism if he doesn’t, but that’s part of the territory,” Donahoe said....
more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/04194G3VBGS_sports.shtml)
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/images/0419G4G3VBH01_bills_1.jpg

Throne Logic
04-19-2004, 05:16 AM
Personally, I refuse to make any hard judgements on most of these players until after Mularky and company put them through their training camp. GW's staff was not the best at developing players to reach their potential. . .

Also, I don't know how you can fault any of the young linebackers or DBs for not getting too much playing time. I mean, come on, look at the starting lineup on that Defense.

BigZ
04-19-2004, 06:52 AM
I think every Bills fan (almost said everyone in Buffalo, but that wouldn't include a lot of you avid, knowledgeable non-Buffalonians) will be expecting either someone who can step right in and start or else a quality QB that will excite us about the future.

If neither of these scenarios happen, TD will be ridiculed endlessly – until they come up with 9 or 10 wins because of the way MM and the new coaches get the players to form one of the more cohesive teams we’ve seen in a lot of years.

Hopefully this happens this year.

justasportsfan
04-19-2004, 08:08 AM
His Mcgahee move will be criticized this year. Donahoe's judgement regarding the draft is not a problem. The biggest question mark I see is his ability to pick a great coach. I think he's done a great job building a team with talent.

The Bengals and the Panthers are better teams because of coaches that TD passed on to get Greg Williams. Granted that Lewis didn't want to come to Buffalo, passing on Fox was a huge mentall fart on TD's part.

Spikes, Adams, Milloy ,Posey and even Drew (at the time)are great moves IMO. I think Drew can still be fixed. We just need a coach to bring things together and get the most out of each player.
Seems to me that every FA that comes here for a visit has nothing but great things to say about the organization. That reflects on TD. Background movements are great, it just need to be translated on the field.