PDA

View Full Version : April 19th Bearcat updates...

The Quebecer
04-19-2004, 11:46 AM
"Hello everyone. I’m in New York today for our annual Consultants lunch. This lunch is used to discuss how we represent ourselves as consultants as well to discuss our ever changing role within the NFL. These discussions begin at 1:00 p.m. and end by 7:00 p.m. and then we venture to dinner and discuss the draft. This is what I refer to as The Pot of Gold. You hear trades never before discussed as well what players teams will make a move for.
Over breakfast this morning I had the opportunity to visit with an assistant (I can’t give a name at this time) to Coach Schottenheimer to discuss San Diego and the draft. He disclosed the following;
San Diego has received three trade offers with two of these trades be submitted formally. The formal offers have come form Cleveland and Washington. Details are below with trade value points in parenthesis;
#1 pick value for 2004 = 3000
Cleveland offers Tim Couch (800), pick #7 (1600), pick #68 (255), pick #173 (24), a 2005 2nd round pick (115-270). Total trade value = 2679+115-270= 2794 to 2944

Washington offers Cris Samuels (580), pick #5 (1800), pick #139 (39), a 2005 2nd round pick (115-270). Total trade value = 2419+115-270= 2534 to 2689

Non-Formal Offer (Not submitted in writing)
Jacksonsville offers D. Darrius (500), pick #9 (1400), pick #39 (520), pick #72 (235), pick #137 (41) Total trade value = 2666

San Diego has countered each formal trade as follows;
Cleveland offers Tim Couch (800), pick #7 (1600), pick #37 (540), pick #68 (255), pick #173 (24), Total trade value = 2679+540= 3219

Washington offers Cris Samuels (580), pick #5 (1800), pick #139 (39), Patrick Ramsey (500) Total trade value = 2419+500= 2919

No counter offer has been made to Jacksonville since the trade offer was verbal and not in writing.

One thing to take from all of this is that it’s fairly obvious that San Diego wants a QB or T in any trade they accept. No of the above teams have responded to San Diego’s counter which is why San Diego continues to not open negotiations with any of the potential top picks. Some teams seem to believe that San Diego intends to take Gallery while others believe Manning is the choice. From what I heard this morning they will select Gallery if no trade is made. The feel the addition of Gallery will further aid the running game making them competitive in 2004 using a Marty ball control game plan that he is known for.

Both Cleveland and Washington’s intentions on moving up focus on Gallery while Jacksonville intentions center on Fitzgerald. It’s well known that San Diego likes Gallery at #1 and Oakland likes Gallery or Fitzgerald at #2.

According to San Diego they would love to walk away with a veteran QB or T and still have a shot at Rivers or Roy Williams.

Buffalo officials spoke with Detroit last night concerning the price to move up to #6 overall. Additionally, according to Detroit consultants they had the same discussions with Pittsburgh last week. This seems to be a play for Roethlisberger if he remains available at #6. Neither team has intentions to move into the top 5 due to the cost involved.

Kansas City officials have been working the phones all morning. It appears they are leveraging for one of the top two corners to be a starter in 2004.

Cincinnati has made plans to move up in round #2 to select Dwan Edwards if he remains available. I don’t know if they have cooled on Jake Grove but they recently moved Alex Stoponavich up there draft board 10 spots into round #3.

Philadelphia continues to make inroads into moving up if Stephen Jackson is available after the top ten. This would be a draft day trade.

Denver has also began the next step in trying to move up in the draft and has had preliminary discussions with Chicago and the Jets. Some are saying this is an attempt to make a run at Jackson which we do not believe. We are intent this is a play for DJ Williams if the Jets intend to select Williams. The Broncos hold DJ Williams and Roy Williams in high regards.

The Patriots remain intent with the assumption that Perry will be available in round #2 of the draft. The Pats seem to be focused on the following players in round #1;
Marcus Tubbs
DJ Williams
Vernon Carey
Justin Smiley
Cris Gamble
Wil Poole

Arizona will not make a move up to select Fitzgerald but will settle for Sean Taylor if Fitz is already gone.

Dennis Northcutt’s situation has quieted recently. The only teams besides Baltimore that seems to maybe want to make a trade are San Francisco and Kansas City. Stay tuned as his grievance is scheduled to heard soon.

It appears we are in for a wild ride come draft day 2004. With several players wanting to be traded and a deep draft a lot of trades may come to be. I will have a final trade update for you n Friday. In the mean time keep an eye out on Wednesday for our latest darft list for clues to what trades we believe will go forward."

:cheers:

Novacane
04-19-2004, 11:58 AM
IT will be interesting to see if this guy is full of crap. I have a really hard time an "insider" would be openly discussing this stuff on the web.

The Quebecer
04-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Here's the guy identity :

"My name sense Bulldog knows is James Frederick Brandt. I'm 67 years old and reside in Dayton, Ohio with my lovely wife. I have four children all grown and married. I'm a grandather to 8 grandchildren. My NFL agent # is 4391 and my official consultant # is 4569. I have worked in football for over 45 years. I was an assistant to Coach Paul Brown in 1961. My job at the time was to be his personal assistant to say. The next year he gave me the job of consultant. My job then became to see and understand what other organizations were doing. Well enough you don't want to hear some long biography. "

Hope it helps.

The Spaz
04-19-2004, 12:24 PM
I think he's full of ****!

TigerJ
04-19-2004, 12:39 PM
It's really fascinating to watch this unfold. While Bearcat steadfastly insists the trade will take place, Vinnie Cerrato, Washington GM, vehemently denies that trade talks have taken place, that Washington has nothing to offer to move up, that if anything they would prefer to move down and replace some of the picks they have lost. I'f I'm not mistaken, they only have two picks left in the draft, #5 and #139. A trade would leave them out of the draft entirely. It also makes little sense to me for Jacksonville to try and move up, with two or three WR rated top ten guys. There is not even a consensus that Fitzgerald is the best of them.

From the Bills' perspective, if they really want a QB in round one, both the Washington and Cleveland trades would be a bad thing. If Gallery goes to someone other than San Diego or the Giants, then both those teams will be looking for a QB. I think now there have been rumors of Buffalo discussing trade with Detroit, Jacksonville, and Houston.

DraftBoy
04-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
From the Bills' perspective, if they really want a QB in round one, both the Washington and Cleveland trades would be a bad thing. If Gallery goes to someone other than San Diego or the Giants, then both those teams will be looking for a QB. I think now there have been rumors of Buffalo discussing trade with Detroit, Jacksonville, and Houston.

I dont think either team will be looking QB, both teams just got 2 new ones:
Redskins in Brunell
Browns in Garcia

Why would they be looking for another big money QB to sit on their benches?

DraftBoy
04-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ

Redskins in Brunell
Browns in Garcia

Dozerdog
04-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Redskins in Brunell
Browns in Garcia

Because they both brought in big money old guys? In 2-3 years these guys could be long gone. Skins can recoup a lot if they deal Ramsey this or next year

TigerJ
04-19-2004, 11:00 PM
What I meant was that if either Washington or Cleveland trades for the first pick in the draft, and the team that makes the trade drafts Gallery (Cleveland needs O-line help and Washington can't sign all pro tackle Chris Samuels), then Gallery won't be there for the Giants to pick at #4. If SD trades down, they will probably be looking to get a QB at their new draft position. If Pittsburgh also drafts a QB, the Buffalo could be shut out of the QB derby in the top half of the first round. If SD stays at #1 and drafts Manning, the Giants probably draft Gallery at #4. I think the only other team likely to pick a QB in the top 12 is Pittsburgh. Buffalo could either wait and see which one drops to them, or trade ahead of Pittsburgh to get their choice.

Is that any clearer?

ShadowHawk7
04-19-2004, 11:29 PM
I think SD's counter to Washington, is the fairest, and best option for both teams. If this rumor is true, I'll look for it to happen, maybe in a 50-50 chance.

Tatonka
04-20-2004, 12:39 AM
so did this guy post any info about his "pot of gold"?

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-20-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by DraftBoy

Redskins in Brunell
Browns in Garcia

Garcia is 33 years old. How much longer does he have. They may look for a QB. I don't know if it will be in the 1st, but they may look to get one. The Redskins still have Patrick Ramsay.