PDA

View Full Version : 1 less DL candidate

Dozerdog
07-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Rats-

I know TD was eyeing this guy as a possible pickup next offseason. The Steelers are tired of giving away their FA's, like they did the entire decade of the 90's

Smith re-signs with Steelers, keeping top defense intact
The Associated Press
7/24/02 11:20 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/sportsflash/browns/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?s0662_BC_FBN--NFLCampCapsules&&sports&nflnews

The defense that topped the NFL last season got another multimillionaire Wednesday when defensive end Aaron Smith signed a five-year, $25-million contract extension with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Smith, who had eight sacks last season, signed a few hours before the Steelers officially opened camp in Latrobe, Pa. His new deal is comparable to a $22.5 million deal signed by linebacker Joey Porter, a $23 million deal signed by all-Pro linebacker Jason Gildon, and a $25.25 million contract signed by cornerback Chad Scott.

The Steelers have locked up every key player on their defense for at least the next five seasons, except safety Lee Flowers, who may be allowed to become a free agent after the 2002 season.

The_Philster
07-25-2002, 03:28 PM
I'd like to think that, by the end of this season, we'll be pretty set at DE, anyway. Schobel and Denney/Fisher/Office should hopefully be able to do the job by then.

don137
07-25-2002, 05:54 PM
Players aren't "locked up" like the old days...Another year or two all of sudden a team needs to cut salary and the next thing you know he is cut

BuffaloBalls
07-25-2002, 09:42 PM
I am with Philster, we have a truckload of young talent I say we see how it pans out.