PDA

View Full Version : If Mike Williiams is in supplemental draft...

L.A. Playa
04-19-2004, 05:16 PM
and the Bills win the first round lottery do you use next years #1 to select him??? Or do you trade with the team that wins the lottery next years #1 to select him?????

helmetguy
04-19-2004, 07:00 PM
What lottery? The Supplemental draft will proceed the same way the Regular draft does; based on last year's record. We'd still have the 13th chance at selecting him, meanining the 12 teams ahead of us have to pass on him and/or select someone else. Why gamble next year's pick on him when there are probably other receivers we could get in a lower round this year without losing a pick next year?

L.A. Playa
04-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Nope the first round is determined by a lottery it changed when Bosworth came out years ago San Diego would have 32 balls and so on down the line the first round will be determined by lottery thats how seattle got Bosworth and thats how the NFL treats cases like this

L.A. Playa
04-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Sorry a little wrong on supplemental draft rules here they are before houston came into the league
How does the supplemental draft work?
According to The DraftBook "Teams are arranged in a three-tier inverted lottery system to determine the selection order. Teams with less than seven victories last season will be in the first lottery group. Teams with more than seven victories will be in the second group, and playoff teams will be in the third group. All 31 teams will get an email, that's right, an email, at the start of each round. Teams are expected to respond immediately if they want a player, with each round lasting no more than 10 minutes. If more than one club selects the same player, the team with the higher claiming order is awarded with that player. If a team fears its desired player won't be available and wants another player, it may list by order of priority which players it would like in that round."

Tatonka
04-19-2004, 07:28 PM
wow.. i will take mike williams with next years first.. no problem.

helmetguy
04-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Here's a link to how the Supplemental draft works now:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

Canadian'eh!
04-19-2004, 07:33 PM
there are conflicting stories helmet guy. someone doesn't know what they are talking about and i have seen the one i am about to post several times and that NFL.com one only once.

from a PFW.com chat session:
"Nolan Nawrocki: Brees would likely go to the bench and be a solid No. 2. The Supplemental Draft order is not the same as the NFL draft order. Teams are divided into three groups, one for teams that have six or fewer wins, one for non-playoff teams that have more than six wins and one for playoff teams. Each team receives a token based on their draft position (i.e. San Diego woudl receive 32 chances, Oakland 31, Arizona 30, etc.). The NFL has a private drawing and determines the Supplemental draft order. With 13 teams having six or fewer wins, the Chargers potentially could wind up with the 13th pick in the Supplemental draft."

Dozerdog
04-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
there are conflicting stories helmet guy. someone doesn't know what they are talking about and i have seen the one i am about to post several times and that NFL.com one only once.

from a PFW.com chat session:
"Nolan Nawrocki: Brees would likely go to the bench and be a solid No. 2. The Supplemental Draft order is not the same as the NFL draft order. Teams are divided into three groups, one for teams that have six or fewer wins, one for non-playoff teams that have more than six wins and one for playoff teams. Each team receives a token based on their draft position (i.e. San Diego woudl receive 32 chances, Oakland 31, Arizona 30, etc.). The NFL has a private drawing and determines the Supplemental draft order. With 13 teams having six or fewer wins, the Chargers potentially could wind up with the 13th pick in the Supplemental draft."

The Bills are one of 13 teams that fall into that category. Buffalo would get 20 out of 338 ping pong balls.

(Sd gets 32, Oak 31, and so on)

That would give Buffalo a 5.9% chance of getting the pick. San Diego would get a 9.4% of getting the pick.

Canadian'eh!
04-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Len P -espn.com (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1578578.html)

here's a len P column from last year that doesn't deal with it directly but he does refer to it as a "LOTTERY" at the start.

The_Philster
04-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!

I'd have to wonder why the NFL would allow something to be posted on their website that is wrong.

helmetguy
04-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I'd have to wonder why the NFL would allow something to be posted on their website that is wrong.

To give us message board guys something else to argue about, maybe? It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Tatonka
04-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
The Bills are one of 13 teams that fall into that category. Buffalo would get 20 out of 338 ping pong balls.

(Sd gets 32, Oak 31, and so on)

That would give Buffalo a 5.9% chance of getting the pick. San Diego would get a 9.4% of getting the pick.

could we get lucky just once?

DraftBoy
04-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

could we get lucky just once?

Have we won a super bowl yet?

DraftBoy
04-19-2004, 10:08 PM
John Clayton just said the Supplemental Draft is structured like the real draft:

1. SD
2. OAK
32. NE

What the hell is going on???