PDA

View Full Version : Would you give up next year's 1st for M. Williams?

Canadian'eh!
04-19-2004, 09:57 PM
All this talk about Mike Willimas possibly ending up in the Supplemental draft got me thinking?

Regardless, of how the draft is run, if we somehow had the opportunity to give up our 1st round pick next year and pick him, would you do it?

And don't tell me a 2nd or anything because the guy is extremely talented and some team will absolutely do this! even if it isn't us.

I can't see our pick being much higher than this year myself, and if we don't use our 1st rounder on a WR than i say yes. (I'm ignoring trade possibilites for this myself, i am thinking more in terms of take him and keep him)

ryjam282
04-19-2004, 10:07 PM
For basically a tall possesion receiver? No thanks.

Dozerdog
04-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Yes.

If he was in the draft this year and fell to 13 there is a very strong possibiity we would take him anyway.

Taking him in next year's draft, and getting an extra year out of him would be huge.

mypoorfriendme
04-19-2004, 10:14 PM
yes yes yes....im hoping were picking atleast around the mid to late 20's next year and mike williams there is a better value than roy williams at 13. of course, every team has this same demeanor

DraftBoy
04-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Yea. Why am I the only yes vote? when I count 3??

BigZ
04-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Definitely

Dozerdog
04-19-2004, 10:17 PM
The only way they don't is if they invest a high pick in the draft at WR.

Then I would envision TD trading the top pick in the supplimental draft. (If allowed)

Tatonka
04-19-2004, 10:20 PM
i say yes.

The Spaz
04-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Hell yeah!

the dude
04-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Mike Williams will not last past pick 8 - Atlanta in the supplemental - just think, a 1st rounder this year is equivalent to a 2nd next year. ESPN said even San Diego might pick him with the 1st pick in the supplemental - he IS that good. And I'd sure as heck take him with the Bills' pick.

Fat Tony
04-20-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by the dude
Mike Williams will not last past pick 8 - Atlanta in the supplemental - just think, a 1st rounder this year is equivalent to a 2nd next year. ESPN said even San Diego might pick him with the 1st pick in the supplemental - he IS that good. And I'd sure as heck take him with the Bills' pick.

I think you got that backwards- a 2nd rounder this year is equall to a first next year- since you are using the player (pick) early

the dude
04-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Fat Tony

I think you got that backwards- a 2nd rounder this year is equall to a first next year- since you are using the player (pick) early

Thanks Tony - see what happens when I think about the possibility of getting a Mike Williams.

Jared
04-20-2004, 01:50 AM
I said no, but I'm a Pats fan, so what do I know? For you guys, it depends on what you do with this year's draft.

BuffaloBlakely14
04-20-2004, 09:40 AM
The supplemental draft doesnt necessarily have the same order as the regular draft...it is a ping pong ball situation like the NBa lottery....worst team gets 32 balls 2nd to worst gets 31 balls...and so on....the order can be very different than the regular draft...

Canadian'eh!
04-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by the dude

Dude, there is some debate over how the supplemental draft is run. Gil Brandt said on nfl.com that it has the same order as the regualr draft. But everyhting else I read says it is subject to a lottery to all teams with 6 or wins (like us). But the point was, IF regardless of this we had the chance to take him and give up next year's 1st, would you do it?

lordofgun
04-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282

Did you watch him play last year? He's not just a tall possession receiver. He's huge and fast and has amazing hands.

BuffaloBlakely14
04-20-2004, 09:46 AM
I say yes we definitely spend next years first on him...he will be a top 3 pick in next years draft...

Novacane
04-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Absofreakinglutley

Earthquake Enyart
04-20-2004, 09:56 AM
No thanks.

Those Socal guys hate Buffalo.

Michael82
04-20-2004, 10:01 AM
HELL YEAH!!!! :up:

Better yet....I'd try to trade with one of the top 5 in the supplemental draft, if you can. :D

Philagape
04-20-2004, 10:17 AM
This is a no-brainer.
Say he plays another year of college; he'd likely be ranked higher than what he is now, which is arguably top 10. Say we have a winning record this year. We would be spending a pick in the 20s or lower on a prospect who would at least be in the top 10. Unfortunately, other teams can do this math as well so I don't think we'll get him

thefixer74
04-20-2004, 10:56 AM
I say yes. It is a no-brainer question.No thought about it.Just say yes.

Dantheman1280
04-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!! I would be soooo happy if we could do that. The supplemental is by lottery so we do have a chance to get him. Now every one go home and pray for this to happen!!!

SoCalBillsFan
04-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282

obviously you haven't seen the guy play. :shakeno:

carybillsfan
04-20-2004, 11:55 AM
The supplemental draft order is determined by a weighted lottery the worst team(SD) gets 32 chances, Oak would get 31....NE would get 1. They keep pulling chances until an order of 32 teams is drawn. There is no trading in a supplemental draft, but I guess you could have the team who pulls #1 pick Mike and then trade his rights for next years first round pick. The only problem with that is the risk of losing your first round pick next for a higher first rounder.

With all that said I don't think there is a team out there that wouldn't take him, I'm sure he's projected to go in the top five in 2005 so you'd be stupid not to. This may have a little ramification on how teams pick in the top 5. I don't think they draft the supplemental draft order until next month.

Forward_Lateral
04-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Absolutely do it. He is big, fast and can be dominant, which is exactly what the Bills need. Moulds won't be around forever.

toughluck
04-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Absolutely you do it. I think we are going to have a winning record this year (or atleast 8-8) in which case we will have a lower pick next year. Give up that pick to take a guy who was projected top 15 in this incredible draft...in a heartbeat

Jan Reimers
04-20-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm sorry, I don't think he fits well. We already have possession guys in Reed, Shaw, and Aiken. Let's get a faster guy like Evans, Jenkins or Henderson and not give up so much.

Forward_Lateral
04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Speed only gets you so far. If you'd rather have Shaw and Aiken, that's fine, but you have to understand that Williams is not a possession reciever only, he's a game breaker.