PDA

View Full Version : I get the bad feeling TD will ignore the Oline again...

BuffaloRanger
04-19-2004, 11:23 PM
TD loves to do his own thing. Unfortunately the last 2 years have shown that his thing is ignoring the Oline.

I'd say the majority of fans feel the interior Oline needs improvement. One player really, is all it would take. Picking a lineman in the 4th rd or higher in the 2004 draft is not improvement.

TD was NEGLIGENT, plain and simple, last offseason when he completely ignored any upgrades to the Oline. Drafting a soft, 6 year college back-up, is not an improvement. Having to rely on a 7th round pick from the previous draft should have been a wake up call.

McNally isn't enough. The man has said over and over again in every interview "DON'T EXPECT MIRACLES." What do you think he means by that? Just because he molded a bunch of underachievers to the SB 3 years ago doesn't mean he can do it year in and year out.

For a team (not named Houston) that has led the league in sacks allowed the last 2 seasons, you'd think bringing in a stud would be a day one priority. Especially if they are commited to a pound the ball offense led by an immobile QB.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope TD does something wonderful and lands a Center or a Guard on Day 1. But I'm sure I will be disappointed.

Oh, yeah...if TD knows best, like some of you will surely say, why have we given up so many sacks?

Bad coaching - TD
Immobile QB (has been his whole career - no surprise) - TD
Center that can't shotgun snap (contract extended) - TD

Dozerdog
04-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
TD loves to do his own thing. Unfortunately the last 2 years have shown that his thing is ignoring the Oline.

I'd say the majority of fans feel the interior Oline needs improvement. One player really, is all it would take. Picking a lineman in the 4th rd or higher in the 2004 draft is not improvement.

TD was NEGLIGENT, plain and simple, last offseason when he completely ignored any upgrades to the Oline. Drafting a soft, 6 year college back-up, is not an improvement. Having to rely on a 7th round pick from the previous draft should have been a wake up call.

McNally isn't enough. The man has said over and over again in every interview "DON'T EXPECT MIRACLES." What do you think he means by that? Just because he molded a bunch of underachievers to the SB 3 years ago doesn't mean he can do it year in and year out.

For a team (not named Houston) that has led the league in sacks allowed the last 2 seasons, you'd think bringing in a stud would be a day one priority. Especially if they are commited to a pound the ball offense led by an immobile QB.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope TD does something wonderful and lands a Center or a Guard on Day 1. But I'm sure I will be disappointed.

Oh, yeah...if TD knows best, like some of you will surely say, why have we given up so many sacks?

Bad coaching - TD

Ignore the OL?

In 2001, got Jennings & Sullivan

In 2002, got Mike Williams with the 4th overall, and Price & Teague in FA

In 2003, we had what looked like a solid line but for the second consecutive year, we had an idiot as an OL coach, and a OC who never heard of sending out anything less than 5 players into pass routes, leaving none in for protecting the QB on blitzes.

This year he unloaded Ruben, added Villarrial. McNally will have a huge impact.

I think his record of maintaining the OL and keeping it stocked has been a good one. We just have had a cluless coaching effort.

Understand that there is not a lot of OL in this draft, as deep as it is. Last year was no great shakes either. Also, most OL men are drafted in later rounds anyway.

The Spaz
04-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Who drafted Mike Williams, Jonas Jennigs and Marques Sullivan, Mike Pucillo and acquired Ross Tucker and added Villarial in free agency?

lordofgun
04-19-2004, 11:37 PM
I don't have any bad feelings.

The Spaz
04-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Ignore the OL?

In 2001, got Jennings & Sullivan

In 2002, got Mike Williams with the 4th overall, and Price & Teague in FA

In 2003, we had what looked like a solid line but for the second consecutive year, we had an idiot as an OL coach, and a OC who never heard of sending out anything less than 5 players into pass routes, leaving none in for protecting the QB on blitzes.

This year he unloaded Ruben, added Villarrial. McNally will have a huge impact.

I think his record of maintaining the OL and keeping it stocked has been a good one. We just have had a cluless coaching effort.

Understand that there is not a lot of OL in this draft, as deep as it is. Last year was no great shakes either. Also, most OL men are drafted in later rounds anyway.

You got to it before me.:beers:

Dozerdog
04-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Let's not forget Teague was signed as a tackle, giving Buffalo flexibility ti draft or trade for a QB in 2002. Without signing Teague, If Harrington and Mike Williams were available, TD probably would have been put in a position to choose a yung QB who would get killed behind that line, or get a bookend Tackle that you can rely on for 5-10 years.

lordofgun
04-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
You got to it before me.:beers:

That happens a lot. :D

The Spaz
04-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

That happens a lot. :D

:ebenezer:

Mr. Cynical
04-19-2004, 11:57 PM

I definitely wouldn't say negligent, but I would question some of the choices. If there is little to no improvement on the line this year, even more questions will arise. People won't be able to blame KG or GW this time around.

Bad coaching - TD

These I do agree with, and TD needs to be held accountable. IMHO, this is the year he either gets it right or gets the boot.

BuffaloRanger
04-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Jennings was a pleasent surprise - and was a Day 1 pick, which the Bills need again.

Williams - RTs shouldn't get drafted 4th overall.

Marques Sullivan - couldn't beat out a 7th rdr for his job. Oh yeah it was the coaches that TD hired.

Mike Pucillo - 7th rdr? Big deal.

Ross Tucker - has done what in the NFL?

Villarial - added in free agency to replace Brown.

Bills give up too many sacks. Their interior line gets pushed backed. Bledsoe needs max protection.

I'm not smarter than TD. So why did I know the O-line would be so weak last year? For the same reason it will be weak again this year, unless upgrades are made. Lack of talent inside.

Teague is mediocre at best.

If no upgrades are made the Bills QB will be sacked another 50 times this year. How nmany turnovers will that be?

STAMPY
04-20-2004, 12:13 AM
I could see him takin Andrews in round 1 too

Dozerdog
04-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Jennings was a pleasent surprise - and was a Day 1 pick, which the Bills need again.

Williams - RTs shouldn't get drafted 4th overall.

First ya ***** about TD not taking OL seriously, then ya ***** about him "wasting" the 4th pick in the draft on OL!

Make up your mind!

Is the 13th pick to early?????

C'mon!!!

mypoorfriendme
04-20-2004, 12:31 AM
mcnall WILL work wonders and i bet they have a sort of sleeper pick that TD will pick in maybe rd 4 as mcnally's project. usually i dont think position coaches make that big of an impact, but mcnally knows his stuff and everyone around the league says so

BADTHINGSMAN
04-20-2004, 12:32 AM
When a team like Buffalo becomes pass oriented and most of the time plays catch up, you must expect Brick shoe Bledsoe to get knocked around alot..

Tatonka
04-20-2004, 12:34 AM
i would say that we do need oline help. i too hope that we dont wait until day 2 before looking for help there.. i also agree that just one stud would make all the difference.. either carey or grove would be such a drastic improvement. i would prefer grove, and hope that sullivan plays well enough to keep teague on teh bench.

if our first 4 picks are qb ol dt wr .. you wont hear a peep out of me.

ralph promised the oline would be fixed. i believe him.

kgun12
04-20-2004, 06:35 AM

Bad coaching - TD

:confused2 :confused2 :confused2

Big M
04-20-2004, 07:43 AM
As far as pass blocking, I think DB is the problem, not the line. If the Bills do run more, I see positives. Teague is the only starter I worry about. Let's see how we line up in September. McNally will improve this line. Bills have not hired a real OL Coach in years. About time.

helmetguy
04-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
First ya ***** about TD not taking OL seriously, then ya ***** about him "wasting" the 4th pick in the draft on OL!

Make up your mind!

Is the 13th pick to early?????

C'mon!!!

What's next? Ralph Wilson should get the boot for hiring TD? Who was the Mayor of Buffalo that let Wilson bring a team here? Let's not forget Larry Felser, who lobbied the city AND Wilson to put a team here!

"Stay tuned for 'Thursday Night Wys,' This week's explosive expose-"TD and the Grassy Knoll Connection."

justasportsfan
04-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Negligent? I don't think so. His biggest mistake was Greg Williams. He even got Mularkey who said he would take Mcnally to be the OL coach. What's negligent about that?

TD is committed to Drew. It doesn't take a genius to kow that such a qb will need an OL if he is to succeed. Up to this point TD's biggest moves were Greg Williams and Drew. He fired GW and is trying to fix Drew jus so that he will have 1 out of 2 huge mistakes. He didn't hire coaches that would bench Drew because that would be admitting he made a mistake by taking Drew.

clumping platelets
04-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Maybe TD should have drafted Kenyatta Walker in 2001 instead of trading down for a couple of guys we all know: Nate Clements and Travis Henry. :shakeno:

TD has not ignored the OL. Some may not like the results thus far. Take for example, 4th overall RT Mike Williams. What has he had to deal with since drafted?

1) The expectations of being the 4th overall along with the contract he signed......

2) this has led to my belief that he feels he needs to do more than what his responsibilities are.......why? well.......

3) he has had 2 different OL coaches in his 1st 2 yrs as a Bill and.......

4) has played next to RG's all of whom were 1st yr starters(Sullivan in 2002 and Pucillo/Tucker in 2003).

He now has a veteran RG in Villarial who has played well for the Bears for a number of yrs. This will alleviate some of that "I need to cover up" pressure I believe MW has faced (Re 1 & 2 above)

The OL looks to be in good shape right now. I fully expected the Bills to add at least one OL prospect in the draft. It could be an OT due to the fact that both Jennings and Price will be UFA after 2004, but it's very possible that a pure C or G prospect is added for the long term. It depends on the draft value and how they are ranked on the draft board

McNally's presence alone will greatly improved this OL

Ebenezer
04-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
3) he has had 2 different OL coaches in his 1st 2 yrs as a Bill and.......

coaches who couldn't velcro their shoes