PDA

View Full Version : Bills vs Dolphins: postgame review

Ingtar33
10-20-2002, 08:19 PM
4-3 will be the record that y’all see in the paper tomorrow. 4-3 and in sole possession of second place in the AFC East, just one game back of the Miami Dolphins. What a difference one game can make. The battered 'fins O came into this game confident that even without their two best WRs and without their starting QB, this games conclusion was all but written in stone. Who could disagree with them (besides this writer)? After all wasn't this the same Bills D that made the Texans anemic O look like the second coming of the old Montana-Rice 49ers? Heck for about 7 minutes the game even conformed to all those south beach expectations as the Bills were forced to punt after their first possession and the 'Fins then promptly carved the Bills D to the tune of 60 yards and a TD on their opening drive. Then something unexpected occurred as the Bills battled back into this game on the strength of some defensive turnovers. And when the dust had settled the Bills had beaten the Miami Dolphins in stunning fashion to the tune of 23-10. Why was it so stunning? Because this was before all else a defensive win.

The Positives:
1) The Bills D, breaks a 4 week turnover drought in rousing fashion, stealing the rock an eye popping 6 times before the final bell rang. What’s more the Bills 9month long INT drought is over as the team picked off Lucas 4 times.
2) Clements picks off Ray Lucas three times, tying the team record for INTs in a game. He also scored a TD on one of the INT returns, giving the Bills a 17-10 lead going into halftime.
3) Fletcher, Robinson, and Newman all have their best collective game for the Bills, collaborating for multiple plays across the field, pressure on Lucas, and two turnovers, as Fletcher recovered a R.Williams fumble, and Robinson picked off a Lucas pass at the end of the 4th quarter putting the game away.
4) Pat Williams had one of the most dominating performances I've ever seen a DT ever have, consistently bursting into the Miami backfield and racking up 8 tackles. His partner in chaos Ron Edwards also found his way into the backfield on numerous occasions, even forcing a timely fumble on an attempted reverse in the first quarter.
5) T.Henry tallied 132yards on the ground against the "stout" Miami front seven. This was just as much a testament to Henry's running ability as it was to the Bills O-line dominating the Miami front seven.
6) Bledsoe and company played keep-away successfully once they had the lead. They protected the ball, and didn't turn it over once. Bledsoe quietly had an efficient day, which was by far his worst statistical start for the Bills. Of course I'll take poor stats and a win over gaudy stats and a loss… honorable mention for Bledsoe’s pinpoint bomb to Moulds on his 70y TD pass in the 2nd quarter.
7) The defensive coaching staff did an excellent job adjusting to the Miami dolphins O, switching things up and keeping their nickel back from being exposed. The Bills D will walk away with only 1 sack, but brought the heat more consistently than at anytime this year, forcing Lucas to do many dumb things with the football.
8) Special mention to Chris Watson, who has been much maligned all season. He was solid in coverage today, stepping it up big-time. The one flag thrown at him was a BS penalty with the Miami receiver running an intentional "push-off" curl rout. Should have been Offensive Pass Interference, but of course Watson hasn't been getting the benefit of the doubt all year for the refs. Hopefully, that will change soon.

The Negatives:
1) The Bills O-line has been collecting flags ever since Williams went down. It isn't even Williams’s replacement who is getting flagged. I have no idea why such a disciplined unit is now getting flagged as much as it is, but this has got to stop, because all of the lines penalties were drive killers this week. In addition, Price-Sullivan-Teague looked shaky all game (in their pass blocking).
2) Too many drops by the Bills receivers. Time after time the Bills receivers would get hit with good passes and drop them. Henry and Moulds were the biggest offenders; in addition Price dropped a very catchable bomb while Reed dropped a catchable 20yarder.
3) What in the world was Danny Smith doing having Hollis kick the ball high and short (to the 20 yard line) and angled to the sideline on all the Bills kickoffs? I wasn't aware Travis Minor was that dangerous a return man. All those kickoffs seemed to accomplish was giving the 'Fins drive starts at around the 35-50 yard line.

Conclusion
Well the Bills now find themselves in position to make a run at the division title. This was a complete team win in a tough venue to play. With the D finally showing signs of life it looks like the Bills just might have a shot at a game or two in January. But first the bills have Joey Harrington and the Lions next week at the Ralph. Doesn't it feel good to squish the fish?

casdhf
10-20-2002, 08:30 PM
I totally agree with Sullivan, Price and Teague sucking up the pass blocking, but I think Teague was one of our best run blockers today, he had some very impressive downfield blocks

Ingtar33
10-20-2002, 08:43 PM
Teague and Co were excellent run blocking... it was just the pass blocking I was a little concerned about.

BTW extra props to jonas jennings... Taylor didn't get a sniff of Drew all game.

Dozerdog
10-20-2002, 08:56 PM
What about the decision by the coaching staff to try and score, backed up against the goal line, with under 2 minutes in the half?

While I like play action there to try and get out of the "Safety Danger Zone", I think the Bills shoulda called it quits and taken a knee with about 30-40- seconds left. It was a bit reckless for my taste.

Sure, if they could grab 15-20 yards a play keep it up, but after the initial 2-3 plays that worked, I thought it was way to risky to try and score while that deep in your territory with so little time.

It could have been a recipie for disaster and put the fins back into the game.:doh:

Sabre Ally
10-20-2002, 09:03 PM
My main complaint is the attempted fake punt........if the Phins hadn't fumbled it could have been a different game.

casdhf
10-20-2002, 09:04 PM
Who cares? They did. :D

Ingtar33
10-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Well, that was interesting, however I don't think anyone was complaining about the coaches decision to go for a TD from their own 2 at the end of the half against the Raiders. The Bills moved 98yards in 52 seconds that time. You win some, you loose some I guess. This time it didn't hurt us so I didn't bring it up. Last time it worked, so I congratzed them for their aggressiveness. Next time if it fails we'll all pound them for being stupid... no big deal today, just good aggressive football. Too bad they couldn't have been that aggressive in the 2nd half. It would have been fun to blow the fins out of the water.

Rebecky
10-20-2002, 09:13 PM
First chance I've had to WATCH a Bills game on TV -- darned good looking team on that field today, offense AND defense AND special teams. Whew!

I'd say now we're odds on to win the division. Miami is going to struggle with Lucas, when Fiedler comes back he'll be a little rusty -- NE's disintegrated -- NYJs stink. Who else except us?

casdhf
10-20-2002, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't count out the Dolphins...as long as their Defense is as good as it has been and #34 still runs the ball...I wouldn't count them out.

Captain gameboy
10-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Three points. There was a cadre of Zoners who were at the game. On the Price "catchable ball," you mentioned, it was a tough play and we were wathing it develop for 20 yds. It was the same play that Drew hit Moulds on for the TD-single coverage on our left side wide out running a fly pattern. Difference being, the Dolphins defended it better, and P'less was stumbling the last few yds before the ball hit him, while trying desperately to outrun the CB. I don't blame him for the drop. On his disappearence for the rest of the game though....Moulds, on the other hand, was wide open-at least 15 yds. Drew almost over threw him.
Second point, after the first two picks, IMHO, Lucas was shaken. From that point on, he never "looked off" a safety. Every pass play subsequent, he was laser locked on his primary reciever from a count before the snap until after the delivery, and as the result of his poor "eye play," the Bills DB'swere getting big jumps on the routes.
Third point: Ricky Wiliams is real good.

lordofgun
10-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by gameboy

Overrated :D

mybills
10-21-2002, 06:24 AM

Ward looked better.

Ingtar33
10-21-2002, 09:18 AM
Three points. There was a cadre of Zoners who were at the game. On the Price "catchable ball," you mentioned, it was a tough play and we were wathing it develop for 20 yds. It was the same play that Drew hit Moulds on for the TD-single coverage on our left side wide out running a fly pattern. Difference being, the Dolphins defended it better, and P'less was stumbling the last few yds before the ball hit him, while trying desperately to outrun the CB. I don't blame him for the drop. On his disappearence for the rest of the game though....

Good point on the Price drop... I only had the TV angles to go by, and didn't know he was stumbling. All I had to go by was the camera replay in which was saw the ball land in Price's outstreatched hands and it bouncing off...