• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

Pats running thin on cap room

From some things I have read, the Pats are approximately 1.5 million under the cap (help please Clump), and now they add on the salary of Corey Dillon. He has to be at least 1.5 million or so. What does that do for them Pats now?

Here is my scenario, they have to get rid of Ty Law now, or at least Troy Brown. Someone has got to go. I think they try and trade Law, as much as they would hate it, they could package Law and one of there first round picks together and move up to get maybe Deangelo Hall or Dunta Robinson.

What do you guys think?

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

• Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

The Pats were estimated at roughly $3M under the cap when the Dillon trade went down, and he re-did his deal to lessen the cap effect.

However, the Pats could clear cap room short of getting rid of anyone. For instance, Tom Brady's deal hasn't been touched this year, and a restructure of his contract would free up millions.

That said, if Law is to be traded, it will likely happen this weekend. Trading Law would free up about $5M, but would definitely weaken the team. Personally, I don't see them trading Law, but I didn't see them making a move for Dillon either.

If Law is to be dealt, best guess it happens this weekend. If not, it doesn't seem likely they will deal him. They have to pay him a $1M reporting bonus when he shows for camp in mid-July, so if he is going to be traded it will happen prior to then.

Brown seems less likely to be released. He is getting older, but he is a valuable player who wouldn't really save them a lot of money. It seems more likely they would cut David Patten first.

Comment

• ryjam282
      Offical Billszone Starting QB
      • Mar 2003

I agree with all of that, but I had no idea that Dillon re-did his deal. I was pretty sure though that he would have to for Belichick to sign him. Do you know how much he will count against the cap this year?

I know, with 2 first round picks, and a now only 1 second, they are gonna have to have a lot of money to pay those guys right?

Ryan Withey
      Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• clumping platelets

The best source for Pats cap info

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

I'm guessing the roookie cap is going to be around 6 million (based purely on educated guesswork on what other teams got) unless the Pats trade some of those picks.

Sure will make June 1 interesting. I can see if they draft a LB or two day 1, they could re-work or release some deals of their older LB corpse

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

I am not sure of Dillon's cap charge, but reportedly he reduced in 2004 salary in return for incentives he could achieve if he has a good year.

The Pats are in pretty good cap shape. They may have to restructure a deal or two before the season, but they have places they can go to do that.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
              The best source for Pats cap info

http://www.patsfans.com/miguel

Looking at that, McGintest and Vrabel seem to be likely candidates.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

How much the Pats will pay their rookies is a tough call now, as they likely will move around quite a bit on draft day.

Also, none of those players count a dime on the cap until they actually sign contracts, which is mid-July. Even at that point, the Top-51 rule offsets some of the value of each pick. So if the Pats were use all 8 picks, then about $2M in base salaries would not effect the cap because the top-51 effect.

The Pats really don't need to release anyone. They may have to restructure a deal or two, but they won't be forced to release anyone.

If they do release someone, the most likely candidate is David Patten.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Are you kidding? Vrable is one of the Pats best defensive players, and his contract was recently re-done and extended 2 years.

McGinest has his contract recently re-done, converting salary to NLTBE incentives to lower his cap number. He is a valuable defender, who provides insurance should Colvin not return.

They'll deal Law or cut Brown before any of those 2 go.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                    Are you kidding? Vrable is one of the Pats best defensive players, and his contract was recently re-done and extended 2 years.

McGinest has his contract recently re-done, converting salary to NLTBE incentives to lower his cap number. He is a valuable defender, who provides insurance should Colvin not return.

They'll deal Law or cut Brown before any of those 2 go.

I don't know when Vrabel was signed- and I'm not saying they are going to be cut. But when you see a player with Ty Law like cap numbers a couple of years down the road, I'd assume he's a candidate to get re-worked (had he not been just signed, obviously)

Isn't Tom Brady "One of your best players" and aren't you mentioning in this thread that he's a likely candidate to rework his deal??

Comment

• clumping platelets

No team will know their rookie cap number until after the draft as it depends on no. of picks, which rd the picks are in, and where in each rd.

If the number was $6 million, Pats do not need $6 million available. The 2004 cap values of the rookies cannot exceed $6 million, but only the amortized bonuses and any salaries in the top 51 will count vs the overall cap. That's why the rookie cap is called a "cap within a cap"

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

I think TY Law will be dealt. Two cancers in the locker room.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                          No team will know their rookie cap number until after the draft as it depends on no. of picks, which rd the picks are in, and where in each rd.

If the number was $6 million, Pats do not need $6 million available. The 2004 cap values of the rookies cannot exceed $6 million, but only the amortized bonuses and any salaries in the top 51 will count vs the overall cap. That's why the rookie cap is called a "cap within a cap"

Professor Clump has spoken!

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

I do not have a mustache

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Law isn't a lockerroom cancer. He is a hard-worker and class guy. He may be vocal and high-strung, but he will play and his desire to win is unquestioned.

My apologies, Dozer. I thought you meant that McGinest and Vrabel were possible June 1 casualties. I shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion.

Both McGinest and Vrabel have recently had their contracts re-done, so they aren't available.

Comment

Working...
                              X