PDA

View Full Version : #3 Qb

JefftheBillsfan
07-25-2002, 08:08 AM
Who do you see winning the #3 QB spot assuming DB is #1 and AVP will at least start out at #2.

The Shadow
07-25-2002, 08:11 AM
It's Travis Brown's to lose. He showed some skill against Miami last year. I'd still like to see Dinkins get a chance somewhere though...but it looks like it might be the CFL.

JefftheBillsfan
07-25-2002, 08:15 AM
Im not sure, TB did show promise, but I have heard good things of Priestly. Besides TB still has to prove he isn't a system QB.

Patrick76777
07-25-2002, 08:15 AM
Did you guys ever hear of Patrick Godwin. He was the back-up QB at Penn State for the past 4 years. He's 6-3 222 lbs. and has a cannon for an arm. I say we pick him up. He'd be a great project.

JefftheBillsfan
07-25-2002, 08:17 AM
He would be a decent project, but so are all of the 3 in the poll IMO. Im not so sure we need another project.

Dozerdog
07-25-2002, 09:17 AM
Dinkins is going under the knife for a non- football injury, according to the Bills home page.

I guess he's done

The Shadow
07-25-2002, 09:19 AM
Just read on another site that Dinkins has a heart condition. It's too bad, he has a ton of talent that the Bills were trying to figure out how to properly utilize.

Dozerdog
07-25-2002, 09:27 AM
Notebook: Schenley grad will miss Bills camp

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/search/s_82989.html

Dinkins, who was a college quarterback, spent last season on the Bills' practice squad as a running back and defensive back before playing in NFL Europe with Amsterdam. He was hospitalized in Germany after a game because of dizziness, but doctors struggled to diagnose his problem.

Doctors recently found a defect in his heart that will need arthroscopic surgery to repair. He will be out of action for six-to-eight weeks.

"It sounds scarier than it is," said Dinkins' agent, Joe Linta. "It's relatively minor, but he can't have any heavy physical activity for six to eight weeks."

WG
07-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Hey, if Bledsoe can start who's a total system QB, then surely TB can make 3rd. The only offense that Bledsoe can do well in is the most basic kind. One that allows 5-7 step drops, which is almost dying in the NFL w/ the increased speed of the DLmen, and one that has a very good OL so that he rarely has to scramble.

I would think that it's easier to go from a WCO to an NFL Pro-set type vice the other way around for sure.

HenryRules
07-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Wys, I don't think the passing-style of the offense has much to do with the simplicity of the offense. I think the complexity of the formations, diversity/freedom of the passing routes, etc have a lot more to do with the complexity of the offense. Some WCO offenses have pretty much relied on throwing a quick 5-yard slant to the receiver and letting him do the work (why the Bills hardly ever tried that with Moulds is completely beyond me, but that's OT). Surely you're not saying that is complex when all it involves is studying the defense as you take the line and any QB out of high school should be able to determine the success of that play as it involves checking maybe 2 or 3 players on the D at most. Conversely, most 5-7 step drops require the QB to go to at least his third passing option on a lot of plays. Regardless of the time offered the QB, this level of thinking is something that many QB's never learn how to do.

Personally, I think that TB is the best option, but I don't expect any of these three to ever amount to more than a mediocre backup at best.

WG
07-25-2002, 11:55 AM
I hear ya HR. But if we've gotta rely on Drew to make third reads we're in a world of hurt. He's best when he has ample time and can hit his first or second target. A guy like Garcia is different eg.

Either way, my point was that every QB in essence plays in a system. Since it's more difficult to comprehend and be able to react speedily in a WCOive system, the mental capacity required for a standard and much more vanilla type of offense requiring only a time-consuming drop-back and one or two reads has got to be much simpler. Vice going from a standard pro-set to a WCO. In fact, the transition to the latter is tougher and often not possible, ala RJ, than the other way around.

WG
07-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Can you see DB in a WCO? He'd get pounded worse than Rob.

I can see Brown playing well in a traditional set easily on the flip-side, at least more-so than if we were asking him to make the adjustment from a pro-set to the WCO.

JefftheBillsfan
07-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Point well made WYS IMO

WG
07-25-2002, 12:14 PM
Van Pelt is a "system QB" only by virtue of the fact that he doesn't have the tools, (ie. arm strength), to make necessary throws in a traditional system where you make deeper throws on Flies and such.

northernbillfan
07-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Travis Brown made a good impression on me last season. He will be a solid back up QB and will be ready to step in when AVP retires.

WG
07-25-2002, 12:56 PM
I agree with ya northern. I'd like to see him play a few games this year as well. Not that I want Drew to get hurt or anything. I'm sure it won't happen otherwise. Preseason then...

SABURZFAN
07-25-2002, 01:26 PM
i thought brown looked good last year.the 3rd spot is his to lose.

mybills
07-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
I hear ya HR. But if we've gotta rely on Drew to make third reads we're in a world of hurt. He's best when he has ample time and can hit his first or second target.

You failed to mention that the second target is a rare event for Drew...tunnel vision, remember? That's basically why he wouldn't do good in the WCO...forget 3 or more targets!! LOL

John Doe
07-25-2002, 09:28 PM
Gee whiz, I thought that all QB's were at their best when they have ample time and can hit their first or second target.

WG
07-26-2002, 12:15 PM
Doesn't hurt JD, but it doesn't sound to me like many Bills fans have ever watched Drew play. I'm excited, as excited as the next guy, but I've personally seen him in game after game after game, and especially the big games against the best Ds, make the most ridiculous passes on some of the biggest plays of the game.

Some QBs are good when under pressure and when the OL breaks down, and some are not. Usually mobility is somewhat of an indicator as to how good they are b/c that's one of, again, just one of the characteristics that allow them to be good under pressure. If you are at your best when the OL gives you plenty of time in a 5/7 step-drop, but you are immobile, much as Drew is, then wouldn't it stand to reason that you're going to be quite a bit less effective if the environment that you thrive in breaks down?

Common sense and logic. At that point it really has little to do w/ arm strength. It does have to do w/ the fact that perhaps you are better holding onto the ball than throwing it away to give the opponent a tactical advantage. You'll see. I'm not saying Drew's gonna suck, but he will make some of the very same mistakes he's made for years. There's no reason why anything, a new team, "2nd-half" of his career, new coaches, other talent around him, is gonna prevent him from making those. They have little to do with those things and more to do w/ being rattled under pressure. On quite a few of those plays that I've seen in the past, his WRs, regardless of whether they were Troy Brown or Vincent Brisby, or Glenn or Coates in their heyday, were wide-open and he just didn't complete the pass as it was horribly thrown. None of the above mentioned factors had anything to do with it. A wide open Moulds is just as easy to get the ball to as a wide open Reggie Germany.

WG
07-26-2002, 12:21 PM
One poster from N.E. came on here a bit ago and said that Drew will make one or two passes a game that make you say "Why on earth did he throw that!"

Those are the ones that I'm referring too. Again, perhaps just a couple a game, but from what I've seen, they usually come at very inopportune moments in very pivotal situations. Not coincidentally, those are also usually plays when the D sends the heat.

A gamble on their parts perhaps, but apparently it pays back big when successful.

The Shadow
07-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Yeah,and sometimes a couple of times a game one sometimes says "How on earth did he complete that!?!".

Give me a QB who sometimes gambles and throws a risky pass to give his receiver a chance to make a big play versus one who holds onto the ball forever looking for that safe play only to get crushed by some blitzing linebacker (sound like anyone we know?) any day of the week.

HenryRules
07-26-2002, 01:55 PM
How does a chat about the 3rd string QB turn into a discussion on the merits of DB?

WG
07-26-2002, 03:29 PM
Shadow, the difference being that he's supposed to complete that, while he's not supposed to throw game-altering INTs.

We'll see how any of that changes. No need to get confrontational now...

;)

mybills
07-27-2002, 06:50 AM
Wys -
No matter how many people come to his defense every time you post his faults, just know that you are right about Drew. For what it's worth, I know you are. I'm right with you on the hoping he does great things for our team, but at the same time, I'm right with you on the not getting my hopes up too high! If others want to get theirs up too high, I say let them, because they're the ones who will fall the hardest by refusing to believe that Drew's not a GOD! :D

We'll see!

WG
07-27-2002, 08:27 AM
You're right. We'll see. It's not like we have any other option but to wait anyway.

Having said that, some players have changed the way they play and I'm a firm believer that if you work hard enough you can even change things that you've been doing for years. So I also have some hope that perhaps that's the one thing that Drew has worked on mentally to try and fix. The man's not an idiot either.

But you're right, we'll see. Just b/c I know him from what he's been in the past, certainly doesn't mean I'd like him to fail here or anything. Heck, he's a GREAT guy! I love his morals, his family leaning, and overall he's just the type of guy that you love to have on your team from a non-football perspective. So I'm hoping that he manages to turn the things that have beplagued his career around this season. He's got great coaching, great talent around him. I mean this Bills team, IMO, is gonna rival the team of the early '90s in terms of offensive clout and quite possibly surpass it next year. It's got the potential to be a juggernaut! One big piece of that is going to be how well Drew plays.

So here's hopin'...

:cheers:

Cntrygal
07-27-2002, 08:48 AM
:eek: wys.. you're being optimistic!!! have you been drinking already this morning???

:jk: ;)

Dozerdog
07-27-2002, 10:16 AM
It's brown's job to lose- to be honest, I never want to see him or AVP hit the field again, unless it is to hand off on mop-up duty.

I want a healthy, productive Drew

mybills
07-27-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I want a healthy, productive Drew

Don't we all :D

Michael82
07-27-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
How does a chat about the 3rd string QB turn into a discussion on the merits of DB?

Because in Wys' opinion....Travis Brown is GOD and Drew Bledsoe is a 3rd String QB! :D

:lol:

Michael82
07-27-2002, 03:48 PM
Also, IF David Priestley is #9...which I'm pretty sure he is....then he has been beating out #5 (Travis Brown). He has looked really good in camp and has played with the 2nd stringers too! So far, it's anyone's job. But IF Brown doesn't shape up...it could be Priestley's! :D

Halbert
07-27-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
One poster from N.E. came on here a bit ago and said that Drew will make one or two passes a game that make you say "Why on earth did he throw that!"I remember people saying the same exact thing about Jim Kelly.

Originally posted by The Shadow
a couple of times a game one sometimes says "How on earth did he complete that!?!". I remember people saying the same exact thing about Jim Kelly.

The_Philster
07-27-2002, 06:26 PM
No doubt, Halbert. That's exactly what I was thinking. Kelly had a habit of sticking his throws in tight spots...sometimes you'd be exasperated and other times you'd be ecstatic.