PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Bills: The Future is Now

Jan Reimers
04-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Despite a defense that has gotten progressively better, we have missed the playoffs for three straight years. Our offense has been in steady decline, culminating in last season's dismal effort when we couldn't muster an offensive TD in nearly half of our games.

Why, then, in this draft, would we worry about our future at defensive tackle or cornerback and take a Tommy Harris or DeAngelo Hall with our first pick? Granted, these will be positions of concern in the not-too-distant future, but we have IMMEDIATE offensive needs NOW.

We currently have 6 DTs under contract, as well as 2 quality starting CBs and 2 good, young backups. But we have no speed WR to compliment Moulds, no replacement for Ruben Brown, no QB of the future, and no big time TE.

Our offense should be better with a new coaching staff, a healthy McGahee and the addition of Villarial. But we still have many more holes to fill on offense than on defense.

Let's draft for THIS season - the PRESENT - and not for the future. We need significant improvement this year, before we can have the luxury of worrying about 2 or 3 years down the road.

saviorbledsoe
04-21-2004, 06:42 AM
Well if the future is now why would you want a QB of the future early in the draft? I say wait until the 3rd round for the QB of the future. They say they want Drew to be the guy. Well IMO he has 3 years left in him. What 1rst round qb is going to wait more than 1 year to get his shot?

justasportsfan
04-21-2004, 07:23 AM
They want Drew to be the guy, this year. Whether they keep him next year is up to Drew.

Jan Reimers
04-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Well if the future is now why would you want a QB of the future early in the draft? I say wait until the 3rd round for the QB of the future. They say they want Drew to be the guy. Well IMO he has 3 years left in him. What 1rst round qb is going to wait more than 1 year to get his shot?

I would simply take a QB of the future before a DT or CB of the future, regardless of the round. I might go WR, OL, QB, or the reverse, depending on availability. I agree, though, that QB will have the least immediate impact - and if we can't get one of the top 4, we should wait until at least the 3rd round.

Tatonka
04-21-2004, 07:47 AM
we wont have a future unless we secure our offensive and defensive lines.

a wr is not going to have an immediate impact.. a qb is not going to have an immediate impact.

Jan Reimers
04-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
we wont have a future unless we secure our offensive and defensive lines.

a wr is not going to have an immediate impact.. a qb is not going to have an immediate impact.

A speed WR will probably have more of an impact than a DT, even a Tommy Harris. Will Harris start, and star, over Williams and Adams this year? Also, I would give Kelsay a shot at DE before drafting a Smith or Udeze.

I think we're better on the D line than we are at several spots on offense. I agree that we need another stud O lineman, and would like to see one taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. But we also need speed at WR, a young QB, and a TE before we take defensive help.

I also believe we have more good, young defensive players stockpiled than offensive players, including Kelsay and Wire who could start this year, Crowell and McGee who are not too far behind, and Thomas, Edwards and Haggan who have potential.

So I'm saying solve the present offensive woes before worrying too much about future defensive problems.

Tatonka
04-21-2004, 09:26 AM
a rookie wr will not solve a single offensive woe.. i guarentee that..

a strong interior oline will do a hell of alot more for this team, along with good coaching.

The Spaz
04-21-2004, 09:33 AM
If we drafted Harris I woudl think he could start at LDE and rotate with Sam Adams and Pat Williams.

ShadowHawk7
04-21-2004, 10:32 AM
I definetly agree with you, Jan, on that we don't need a corner back for sure. I don't know why so many draft articles say we need a corner, if we already have a Pro Bowler, a very good, young corner, who I think will explode next year, and two very good to decent backups. If anything, we should get a FS sometime in the draft. I wouldn't mind going for depth at CB on Day 2, but no way on Day 1. Dline, WR, QB and Oline should be addressed on day 1, which is why I hope we trade down to get 4 Day 1 picks, one for each position.