PDA

View Full Version : Reports Out Of Ny - Manning Doesnt Want To Play In San Diego

justasportsfan
04-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Per Dolphanmike -FH :idunno:

XTRA690 (SD station)reported that Archie Manning has come out and stated that Eli does not want to play in San Diego.

Also, the chargers FO seems divided on what to do with the top pick. GM Smith wants to drat Manning, while the coaching staff wants to trade back and grab Rivers.

hurls
04-21-2004, 06:56 PM
I heard today the Chargers were pretty high on Rivers, maybe we can trade up and get Manning.

The Spaz
04-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by slruh
I heard today the Chargers were pretty high on Rivers, maybe we can trade up and get Manning.

Not a chance we trade 12 pots to #1.

Romes
04-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Jim Kelley didn't want to play in buffalo originally but that turned out pretty well.

Bill Brasky
04-21-2004, 07:06 PM
I don't like it when other people speak for the player...

I wouldn't wanna play in San Diego either, unless they resigned Humphries and Natrone Means and permanently kept those sweet blue jerseys.

Dozerdog
04-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Per Dolphanmike -FH :idunno:

XTRA690 (SD station)reported that Archie Manning has come out and stated that Eli does not want to play in San Diego.

Also, the chargers FO seems divided on what to do with the top pick. GM Smith wants to drat Manning, while the coaching staff wants to trade back and grab Rivers.

I'm skeptical. We have heard nothing from the Mannings on any outlet that says they "Don't want to play here"

Actually, it is completely counter-productive. Eli Manning is best served being the #1 overall pick- regardless if it's San Diego or not. If SD does not pick him, and if Oakland and Arizona go in different directions, then Eli stands to miss out on Millions.

Also, Archie and Peyton were both drafted by two of the most disorganized and horrible franchises at the time of their selections- and neither time did they peep once about their teams. With Free Agency the way it is these days- no one makes a big stink about getting drafted by a certain team. With slotting and the salary Cap, players don't hold out into the season very mucjh any more.

I can only think of a handful over the past 5-6 years.

I don't beleive the source. We would have media all over this if it were true

That Guy
04-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Well I've been listening to radio stations all day (especially ones in NYC) saying that Giants are trying to trade for the #1 pick. In fact, some Giants officials said they'd be SHOCKED if they didn't end up with the #1 pick to pick Manning. In that case, Chargers would pick Rivers.

I also heard that Raiders are basically going to draft Roy Williams no matter what... but they are trying to trade back to Washington's pick because they don't really want to pay second overall money if they can get him later.

Arizona looks like they have Larry Fitz as a lock.

Most of this courtesy of 'Mike and the Mad Dog'..

Billsouth
04-21-2004, 08:46 PM
remember elway and the colts!!

how about boz!!

in any event, it does not look like we will get any of the qbs.

if eli goes to ny and rivers to sd u know pitt will take big ben

Bert102176
04-21-2004, 08:49 PM
can you blame him for not wanting to play there

Billsouth
04-21-2004, 08:51 PM
hell no

Dozerdog
04-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Billsouth
remember elway and the colts!!

how about boz!!

in any event, it does not look like we will get any of the qbs.

if eli goes to ny and rivers to sd u know pitt will take big ben

Those two happened over 20 years ago! Back then there was no cap, and some teams were notoriously cheap and mismanaged

Bill Brasky
04-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by That Guy

Arizona looks like they have Larry Fitz as a lock.

Imagine if they had a decent QB to go with those recievers

DraftBoy
04-21-2004, 10:28 PM
As reported on Sportcenter:

GM AJ Smith confirmed Eli's agent called him today and said that they would prefer Eli not go to San Diego. He would prefer NY. Apparently this stems from Eli's father Archie.

Now on a side note let me just state that this is BS, and a complete slap in the face of the NFL. Makes me lose what little respect I had for the manning family.

DraftBoy
04-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman

Imagine if they had a decent QB to go with those recievers

McCown is more than decent just you wait and see.

Dozerdog
04-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I'm skeptical. We have heard nothing from the Mannings on any outlet that says they "Don't want to play here"

Actually, it is completely counter-productive. Eli Manning is best served being the #1 overall pick- regardless if it's San Diego or not. If SD does not pick him, and if Oakland and Arizona go in different directions, then Eli stands to miss out on Millions.

Also, Archie and Peyton were both drafted by two of the most disorganized and horrible franchises at the time of their selections- and neither time did they peep once about their teams. With Free Agency the way it is these days- no one makes a big stink about getting drafted by a certain team. With slotting and the salary Cap, players don't hold out into the season very mucjh any more.

I can only think of a handful over the past 5-6 years.

I don't beleive the source. We would have media all over this if it were true

Well, it's been backed up by Mortensen on ESPN News-

Manning's agent has told the Chargers he's more interested in playing for New York

Dozerdog
04-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Mort also says Giants, Browns, and Skins have contacted San Diego or shown some interest in the pick

Ingtar33
04-21-2004, 10:36 PM
To date McCown is the biggest muff ive had at eval the QB possition. Here's hopping he turns it around and makes my record spotless yet again ;)

Ingtar33
04-21-2004, 10:39 PM
BTW: that crazy water cooler rumor i heard 2 weeks ago is looking more prophetic (that i posted on here). The Giants moving up to no.1 and the Bolts moving back to no.4 and taking Rivers.

I could hardly believe it the first i heard it. I still have difficulty believing it. (when I posted it here it was to highlight the absurdity of water cooler rumors, not to give a scoop)

Dozerdog
04-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
BTW: that crazy water cooler rumor i heard 2 weeks ago is looking more prophetic (that i posted on here). The Giants moving up to no.1 and the Bolts moving back to no.4 and taking Rivers.

I could hardly believe it the first i heard it. I still have difficulty believing it. (when I posted it here it was to highlight the absurdity of water cooler rumors, not to give a scoop)

If The Raiders and Arizona don't take Gallery- they should trad edown again with the Browns- they could get Rivers at 7, and get 3 more picks 33,34, & 42

Tatonka
04-22-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
If The Raiders and Arizona don't take Gallery- they should trad edown again with the Browns- they could get Rivers at 7, and get 3 more picks 33,34, & 42

it would be hillarious if they traded back a second time w/ cleveland, who grabs ben.. then TD moves up and grabs rivers just before san diego got him.. i would pay a million dollars to be in the SD war room if that happened.

SoCalBillsFan
04-22-2004, 12:22 AM
:rofl: taonka, that would be awesome....

But I guess I'm not one that understands why he wouldnt want to play in San Diego. Aside from the fact that it is an amazing place to live, at least they have one of the best running backs in the game and some talent on defense (though many holes on BOTH sides of the ball. Like was posted earlier, The colts were terrible when Peyton went there. Eli has to believe in himself...

BuffaloRanger
04-22-2004, 01:13 AM
It screws San Diego also from a bargaining position. NYG now know SD won't risk taking Eli and will be looking to trade down.

Just because of that I hope the Giants don't get their man.

If SD could double trade back to the Browns spot and still get Rivers, they would be really hooked up. Add to that the possibility of a Sup draft and getting MW and the chargers could have alot to work with.

SoCalBillsFan
04-22-2004, 01:14 AM
San Diego could take eli and force the giants to take them seriously...

justasportsfan
04-22-2004, 07:33 AM
You take Eli anyways. He will still play at his best or face the consequences of his action as being the TO of the qb's unless they really want Rivers.

BTW, Mike Williams didn't want to play here in Buffalo right?

elltrain22
04-22-2004, 07:58 AM
I can't believe Manning has came out and said this. He just doesn't seem like the type of guy to say this stuff. How could you not want to play in SD. They have great wr's, a great o-line, and the system totally agrees with his style. SIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

doug45
04-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by slruh

This would be great!!

Dantheman1280
04-22-2004, 09:02 AM
it will never happen

doug45
04-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Dantheman1280
it will never happen

Let me dream.

Dantheman1280
04-22-2004, 09:34 AM
for for it

The_Philster
04-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
BTW, Mike Williams didn't want to play here in Buffalo right?

Which one? If you're talking about the college WR, then I don't know. If it was our RT, that's not the case. It was Bryant McKinnie who didn't want to play in Buffalo.

chernobylwraiths
04-22-2004, 03:22 PM
I heard some report that it was Archie Manning who was talking off the record that he would prefer Eli not get drafted by the Chargers. I thought I heard something on Sporting News that although he did say that, he did not want his feelings to be made public. Maybe this is a case of an agent, otherwise known as the scum of the earth, making this known so that he can deal with a team that will not give his as much trouble in contract negotiations. The same agent, Condon, represents a lot of star players like Peyton Manning, Ladamien Tomlinson, Marvin Harrison, and let's not forget Drew Henson. He is always looking for huge deals for his players, some too hugeand he has had clients sit out to get what they want. He also had to deal with San Diego in Tomlinson's original negotiations and held him out until about 5 days before the season started.