PDA

View Full Version : We all know who will be #1 City...

BuffaloRanger
04-21-2004, 11:57 PM
It has to Buffalo. The only city with more than one major sports team to have never won a Championship. (AFL Titles don't count).

I wonder if they'll screw us and put us in 2nd. Runner-Up again. :mad:

ESPN Top 10 list (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=tortured/houston)

EDITOR'S NOTE: So many cities across the country have suffered embarrassing and/or excruciating sports moments over the years. Over the next 10 weeks, Page 2, along with ESPN2's "Cold Pizza," will count down the 10 Most Tortured Sports Cities in America. We begin the pain today with Houston -- No. 10 -- by putting Astros' fans back into the torture chamber of the 1986 National League Championship Series.

BuffaloRanger
04-22-2004, 12:08 AM
In no particular order...

4 SBs (might be lumped together, maybe individual)
Forward Lateral
No Goal
OJ

...and that's just the 90s

mypoorfriendme
04-22-2004, 01:09 AM
three sb's as one, and then the missed field goal

B-DON
04-22-2004, 03:06 AM
we get ripped at least once a year

Jan Reimers
04-22-2004, 07:20 AM
If they go back into the 70s, we have another Stanley Cup loss and the relocation of the Braves, who as I recall were about in the middle of the NBA in attendance.

BigZ
04-22-2004, 07:24 AM
But we're such gracious losers.

ajsdx
04-22-2004, 07:58 AM
I dunno. Cleveland has it pretty rough too.

elltrain22
04-22-2004, 08:00 AM
There will come a day my friends, when we can bask in the glow of victory, and all this talk about us being 2nd best or losers will all be swept away.

Dantheman1280
04-22-2004, 09:05 AM
THAT DAY WILL COME!!

chernobylwraiths
04-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Here's my top 9 (I'm trying to remember the X factor with each)

9. Chicago - can't go an entire list without naming some major cities. They are on the list mostly because of the Cubs/White Sox and Blackhawks. Bulls push them down the list because of Jordan and the Bears had that one great season. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make the top ten. Had to drop Pittsburgh and Boston out because all of Pittsburgh's teams have won their major championships in recent memory (at least for me). Boston had the Pats last year and the Bruins have won a Cup and of course the Celtics have won many. The Red Sox can't push them on the list. Lastly, the teams that were 15-11 were (I think) 15-Tampa Bay 14- Kansas City 13- Cincinnatti (I can't remember 11 & 12 so I might cover them in MY list) and 10- Houston

8. Philadelphia - the Eagles futility notwithstanding, the Flyers, 76ers and Phillies have all won championships in recet memory but have not recently.

7. Los Angeles - they might be ranked higher on the national list mainly because the have lost two NFL teams. The Dodgers haven't been good in a while and the Lakers put them further down on this list, but the Kings went through their troubling times and the X factor of losing two NFL teams along with them being the second largest media market will get them on the list.

6. Washington - another large media market, they only have one team that has won a championship but have been awful since Snyder bought the team. Capitals have made it to one Cup final, the Bulletts/ Wizards couldn't do anything with an old Michael and they lost the Senators YEARS ago.

5. Seattle - While reletively new to most of the sports, have never won a major title in either football or baseball. Won one in basketball but that was in the late seventies.

4. Minneapolis/St.Paul (or just Minnesota) Twins have won a couple of World Series, but have been mentioned for contraction, Vikings have as much futility in the big game as we do, Timerwolves are too new and they have also lost a franchise in the North Stars and gotten a new one in the Wild but never won a Cup.

3. Atlanta - could possibly flip flop with Minnesota, but another large market with a history of futility. Braves except for the one WS win, was thought of as the Bills of baseball for a while. The Falcons went to one SB but was lucky to make it there and their luck ran out, while the Hawks have never really been good enough to win a major championship. Atlanta also lost a hockey team (Flames) and got a new one in the Thrashers, but neither was ever any good.

2. Cleveland - a city with as much of a losing streak as Buffalo. They also have their share of high profile losses: the Drive, the Fumble, Jordan's last second three pointer, and Mesa's meltdown. Browns are the only team to win a title but it was before the merger. They also had arguably the best running back in NFL history on their championship teams. Ooops, the Indians have won the WS, but it hasn't been in a looooooooong time. The Cavs were never the same after Jordan beat them and they lost their hockey team the Barons.

1. Buffalo - yes, I am biased on this one. Losing the Braves. No Goal. Wide Right. Forward Lateral (or HomeRun Throwback). Luckily, Bob Rich realized how stupid it would be to try and get a major league team with the way the salaries in baseball were going and the economic climate in Buffalo. Or was it that he just didn't want to spend the $95 million franchise fee.

That's how I see it. Of course, I think the networks list will look like this:

5. Minnesota (Minneapolis/St.Paul)
4. LA
3. Atlanta
2. Buffalo (in the immortal words of Yukon Cornelious, "Even among misfits you're misfits" or we can't even be the worst loser)
1. Cleveland - bigger city with a bigger profile. At least Lake Erie gets props for having the two biggest losers on its shores.

Bill Brasky
04-22-2004, 10:12 AM
they also might use the reasoning that we at least made 4 super bowls and a couple stanley cups. cleveland has made the world series once in the last who knows how many years and haven't won anything significant since before my parents were born. what about phoenix? the only thing they've ever won was the world series a few years back. before that, that city royally sucked.

if boston makes the list the list will lose all credibility. that city has won more titles than almost every major city, yet everybody feels bad for them cuz of the sox.

Novacane
04-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
There will come a day my friends, when we can bask in the glow of victory, and all this talk about us being 2nd best or losers will all be swept away.

I just hope it is in my lifetime