PDA

View Full Version : Receivers line up for run at NFL draft record

The Spaz
04-22-2004, 08:08 AM
The wide receivers entering this season's NFL draft might set a record before any of them catches a pass from an NFL quarterback.

The talent pool of receivers is so deep that more could be picked in the first round than ever before in the 69-year history of the draft, NFL personnel executives said. The record is six in 1988, a group that included Michael Irvin and Tim Brown.

"This is probably the strongest the receiver position has ever been," Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman said at a news conference. "There are potentially eight to nine receivers that have first-round ability."

The group is strong even after one of the best, Mike Williams of USC, was kept out of the draft by a court order Monday as judges consider the NFL's appeal of a ruling that allowed underclassmen into the league.

Larry Fitzgerald of Pittsburgh is regarded by many analysts as the top receiver available in the draft, which will be held Saturday and Sunday in New York. He set a college football record with a touchdown catch in 18 consecutive games and was the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy as a sophomore. The top picks

The list of receivers includes two other Williamses: Roy Williams of the University of Texas and Reggie Williams of the University of Washington. Other top wide receivers include Wisconsin's Lee Evans, Louisiana State's Michael Clayton and Devery Henderson, Ohio State's Mike Jenkins, Oklahoma State's Rashaun Woods and USC's Keary Colbert.

"There are a lot of playmakers out there," said San Francisco 49ers coach Dennis Erickson, who is looking to replace Terrell Owens and Tai Streets. "This may be the best receiver corps that I have ever seen."

The 49ers have the 16th pick Saturday. Other teams that might look to draft wide receivers in the first round include the Oakland Raiders (second pick), Arizona Cardinals (third), Atlanta Falcons (eighth), Jacksonville Jaguars (ninth), Buffalo Bills (13th), Denver Broncos (17th), New Orleans Saints (18th), Philadelphia Eagles (28th) and Kansas City Chiefs (30th).

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1082634932318780.xml

"Sure, everyone is hoping to find the next Randy Moss," Buffalo Bills scout Doug Majeski said in a telephone interview. "Of course, that's easier said than done."

Jan Reimers
04-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Shouldn't Majeski have mentioned Marvin Harrison, who plays hard every down and is a true professional, rather than the head case Randy Moss?

I really hope we find the next Harrison.

The Spaz
04-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Shouldn't Majeski have mentioned Marvin Harrison, who plays hard every down and is a true professional, rather than the head case Randy Moss?

I really hope we find the next Harrison.

I'm sure he was talking about athletic ability not Moss's head.