PDA

View Full Version : 13th pick wrong spot to find QB

The Spaz
04-22-2004, 08:24 AM
The Buffalo Bills are in dire need of a young quarterback, someone who can grow into the starting position. The first round of this year's NFL draft is neither the time nor place to get him.
Forget Philip Rivers. Never mind Ben Roethlisberger. Results of recent NFL drafts show that quarterbacks chosen within the first three overall picks are the ones with the best chance of having stable, thriving careers. If a QB is not regarded highly enough to go that early, then his odds of success are no greater than those of a quarterback drafted in the later rounds, or a quarterback who goes undrafted and subsequently resurfaces.

The Bills pick 13th. They'd do well to fill another need instead of grabbing a QB and surrendering to a sense of desperation born of Drew Bledsoe's struggles and the absence of a competent backup. Now's not the time to be rash simply because Tom Donahoe spent three seasons head-over-heels for Travis Brown.

The Bills were bad enough last season to acquire a favorable draft position, but not bad enough to take the historically ill-advised gamble of selecting a QB from their spot on the board.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040422/3057044.asp

BillsFanCupp38
04-22-2004, 09:00 AM
I absolutley agree, i do not think buffalo will get a qb in this draft simply because the good ones will be taken too early. A lot of teams are looking for that qb that may take them to the promise land in the future and this is just not the year to get a qb. Next year will be are year hopefully and we can draft a fellow like Jason White???

baalworship
04-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Wow, I am glad the Buffalo Bills didn't think this way in 1983. That Jim Kelly guy turned out okay.

Bet the Jets are glad they didn't pass on Pennington.

Bet the Jaguars are glad they got Leftwich.

Bet the Vikes are ok with Culpepper.

Of course you have to be extra careful in the first round. But you shouldn't pass on a great player just because other teams make mistakes. The Bills have avoided the 1st round QB since 83 and how many SB's has this brought us?!

Dantheman1280
04-22-2004, 09:14 AM
This year is the year for a quaterback! We can get a project on day 2. Josh Harris, BJ Symmons. They will both be solid picks on day two!!

Hermanator21
04-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Trade up w/ Atlanta.....?

baalworship
04-22-2004, 09:20 AM
We don't need a project QB. We need a QB that will start when Bledsoe leaves after this year. I don't know think Bills fans will turn out to see Josh Harris or Symmons in 2005.

I have no problem with picking a project QB in FA or in round 7. But we also need a young QB that will start NEXT year.

All these people who want Schaub or Harris or Pickett need to understand that this is Bledsoe's last year in Buffalo. Donahoe can't afford to screw this up.

doug45
04-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38
I absolutley agree, i do not think buffalo will get a qb in this draft simply because the good ones will be taken too early.

Then we better do what we have to to trade up . We needed a QB two years ago we can not wait at this point. If we don't get a top notch QB this draft so we can get him ready we will be in BIG you know what.

Dantheman1280
04-22-2004, 09:27 AM
But if one of the 3 stud Qb's are not there then why stretch and make a dumb pick

Dantheman1280
04-22-2004, 09:28 AM
and anyways, right now MM says he will have DB manage the game and rely on the run. Your telling me with a year under their belts Harris or Symmons could not manage a game.

The Spaz
04-22-2004, 09:32 AM
BJ Symons is horrible, a classic system QB.

Dantheman1280
04-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Im telling ya the kid will suprise you if he is given the chance

baalworship
04-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Neither Harris or Symons will be better than Travis Brown in 2005. Why waste the pick. Smoker, Pickett or Schaub MAYBE. Harris is a long range project.

Dozerdog
04-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Originally posted by Dantheman1280

Well- he's going to have to do it in the CFL or NFLE first.

Man, i wish the NFL had a REAL minor league (summer) to work on guys like this- from this year's draft!

ryjam282
04-22-2004, 01:01 PM

Don't worry, he won't get that chance, at least not in a Bills uniform.

doug45
04-22-2004, 02:12 PM
and anyways, right now MM says he will have DB manage the game and rely on the run.

Then we are really up a creek.

The Spaz
04-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by doug45
Then we are really up a creek.

Controlling the clock works.

doug45
04-22-2004, 02:15 PM

Controlling the clock works.

If you don't have a passing game today in the NFL you are sunk.

The Spaz
04-22-2004, 02:21 PM
If you don't have a passing game today in the NFL you are sunk.

Depends on what kind of a passing game a gilbride type or a Weis.

doug45
04-22-2004, 02:45 PM

Depends on what kind of a passing game a gilbride type or a Weis.

One that works! As Long as we can get someone that can throw.

The Spaz
04-22-2004, 02:46 PM
One that works! As Long as we can get someone that can throw.

We will find out soon enough.