PDA

View Full Version : Giants and Chargers should complete trade by Friday

Novacane
04-22-2004, 10:51 AM
ESPN Insider says.......

from what we have been told the Chargers will have a deal done by friday that allows them to move from #1 overall to # 4 in exchange for the Giants second this year and either Ike Hilliard or a #2 next year

juice
04-22-2004, 11:01 AM
What needs to happen to enhance the chances of one of the Big 3 QB's to fall to #13? if this happens.

Voltron
04-22-2004, 11:03 AM
We would have to trade up. There is no way that any of them will make it past the Steelers who pick before us.

Tatonka
04-22-2004, 11:03 AM
if this trade happens.. then the big three are gone.. assuming that the gaints take eli manning, and then san diego takes Rivers. that means that Big Ben goes to Pittsburg or someone moves up before hand and grabs him.

Tatonka
04-22-2004, 11:05 AM
a couple things could happen though.

san diego could still take gallery at 4 if the raiders or arizona doesnt.. but more than likely, if he was still there.. cleveland would trade up for him at the 4 spot.

yeah.. nevermind.. if this happens.. we dont get a qb unless we trade up, which would be stupid.

casdhf
04-22-2004, 11:06 AM
I still don't think Pittsburgh takes a QB in round 1. Sadly, I think they are very high on Charlie Batch.

juice
04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
We would have to trade up. There is no way that any of them will make it past the Steelers who pick before us.

What if the Steelers trade up before us... Do we stand Pat or would it be in our best interest to see what happens with the 1st 4 picks then possibly make a move for #6 Detroit.

Novacane
04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
The article goes on to say the Giants will probably have Manning signed to a deal by tomorrow evening and the Chargers want Gallery at #4. If he is not there they will try and move down again and take Rivers. If they can't move down they would strongly consider Roy Williams at #4 because they feel #4 is a little to high for Rivers.

Dozerdog
04-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by juice
What needs to happen to enhance the chances of one of the Big 3 QB's to fall to #13? if this happens.

Zero

Rivers is gone by the 4th pick. The only mystery now is if Cleveland wants Gallery bad enough, and if he's still there at 4, and if Oakland and Arizona go WR/Sean Taylor/Winslow if San Diego then deals with Cleveland for Northcutt and an extra 2nd round pick

justasportsfan
04-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
if this trade happens.. then the big three are gone.. assuming that the gaints take eli manning, and then san diego takes Rivers. that means that Big Ben goes to Pittsburg or someone moves up before hand and grabs him. if the bills don't take Losman, this could mean either D. Johnson or Kordell will be a bill.

Earthquake Enyart
04-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Zero

Rivers is gone by the 4th pick. The only mystery now is if Cleveland wants Gallery bad enough, and if he's still there at 4, and if Oakland and Arizona go WR/Sean Taylor/Winslow if San Diego then deals with Cleveland for Northcutt and an extra 2nd round pick

I respectfully disagree.

What we need is one of three teams (Giants, Chargers, Steelers) NOT take a QB ahead of us.

Giants: If the Giants move up like this says, then chances are they take Manning. There is still a slight chance that they grab Gallery, say if they start talks with Manning's agent that go no where.

Chargers: If they get all these draft picks, then it's likely that they take a QB at 4. I'm not convinved that it's Rivers. All that Chargers / Rivers talk could be a smoke screen.

Steelers: Does Cowher have enough leeway to take a QB of the future this year? If they roll out another 6-10 does he keep his job? It would not surprise me if they passed on a QB, or became the team that trades down so someone else can take Jackson.

Odds are that all 3 would be gone, but it's not a certainty.

Bill Brasky
04-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
if the bills don't take Losman, this could mean either D. Johnson or Kordell will be a bill.

if we ended up with Johnson or Kordell I would want to kill myself.

Mr. Miyagi
04-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I respectfully disagree.

What we need is one of three teams (Giants, Chargers, Steelers) NOT take a QB ahead of us.

Giants: If the Giants move up like this says, then chances are they take Manning. There is still a slight chance that they grab Gallery, say if they start talks with Manning's agent that go no where.

Odds are that all 3 would be gone, but it's not a certainty.
I agree, but let me add one more scenerio.

If the Giants trade up to #1 and for some reason they take Gallery, Oakland would be absolutely nuts to NOT take Eli Manning. Then Chargers take Rivers/Ben, and Pittsburgh takes whoever of the Big 3 is left.

Either way, there'll be no Big 3 for us to take at #13.

ryjam282
04-22-2004, 12:01 PM
But Miyagi, why would the Raiders take Eli? Al Davis has already stated that Marcus Tuiasosopo is his QB of the future much like Denny Green has done with Cade McNown. That would leave Eli to the Chargers at #4.

Bill Brasky
04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
But Miyagi, why would the Raiders take Eli? Al Davis has already stated that Marcus Tuiasosopo is his QB of the future much like Denny Green has done with Cade McNown. That would leave Eli to the Chargers at #4.

It's been all over ESPN... the Raiders would not hesitate to take Manning if he was available... and they'd be nuts not to take him... though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take him, Davis is a ******.

Mr. Miyagi
04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Anyone who believes anything Al Davis says is crazy.

Let's see...hmmmmm....Tuiasosoppos or Manning......tough call....

Bill Brasky
04-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Screw Manning and Tuiasosposuaspfd... the Raiders would be smart to sign Ryan Leaf. He is a great competitor and really has his head on straight and would mix well with Janikowski and RAIDER FAN.

Earthquake Enyart
04-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Al Davis has been with the Raiders forever. I don't think they have EVER drafted a QB in the 1st round. EVER. Think about all the Raider QB's. They got Lamonica from us. Stabler was a retread. Dan Pastorini was there a while, but drafted 1st by the Oilers. Plunkett was drafted 1 by NE and plucked off the junkpile. Gannon was another junkpile QB.

I just don't think that Al Davis will pick a QB.

Ebenezer
04-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Al Davis has been with the Raiders forever. I don't think they have EVER drafted a QB in the 1st round. EVER. Think about all the Raider QB's. They got Lamonica from us. Stabler was a retread. Dan Pastorini was there a while, but drafted 1st by the Oilers. Plunkett was drafted 1 by NE and plucked off the junkpile. Gannon was another junkpile QB.

I don't either...Davis love the down field passing game...the bet here is WR...Roy Williams.

TedMock
04-22-2004, 12:42 PM

Good points. Even multi superbowl winner, Jim Plunkett, was a 4 year "bust" dropped by New England. Davis has always believed in building team from the WR position even when his philosophy was proven wrong. Cliff Branch and Malcolm Barnwell were good WR's but that team was driven by Marcus Allen and Todd Christensen. Even so, he was still preaching speed at WR. He's always been that way. A left tackle just doesn't seem sexy enough for him.

Tatonka
04-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
if the bills don't take Losman, this could mean either D. Johnson or Kordell will be a bill.

kordell will be a bill regardless of who we draft.

ryjam282
04-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman

It's been all over ESPN... the Raiders would not hesitate to take Manning if he was available... and they'd be nuts not to take him... though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take him, Davis is a ******.

Everything I have seen lately has them being a lock to take Roy Williams. Remeber, they still have Gannon as well. Porter and Roy Williams would be a pretty good duo.

I agree with Earthquake. Al Davis never takes the chances involved with going for a QB in the 1st. He liked QB's that are old....in fact, he likes all players that are old.

Earthquake Enyart
04-22-2004, 12:46 PM

Good thing you don't know squat, or I'd be worried. :snicker:

I agree with Earthquake. Al Davis never takes the chances involved with going for a QB in the 1st. He liked QB's that are old....in fact, he likes all players that are old.

The only one drafted "high" that I can think of was Todd Marinovich. Pun intended. :snicker:

Dozerdog
04-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Good thing you don't know squat, or I'd be worried. :snicker:

The only one drafted "high" that I can think of was Todd Marinovich. Pun intended. :snicker:

That's because his daddy (An ex-raider) talked him ito it. Wasn't Todd a USC QB? If I recall, the Raiders were trying to sell seats in the huge LA Coliseaum at the time- Davis fell for it. Davis never repeats the same mistake twice

Ebenezer
04-22-2004, 12:54 PM

That may not be too far off the mark.

ryjam282
04-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Exactly, he won't be bitten again by that....Hell, he will probably be signing Kurt Warner very soon....:D

Earthquake Enyart
04-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
That's because his daddy (An ex-raider) talked him ito it. Wasn't Todd a USC QB? If I recall, the Raiders were trying to sell seats in the huge LA Coliseaum at the time- Davis fell for it. Davis never repeats the same mistake twice

Yes he went to USC. I think he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder, though.

BigZ
04-22-2004, 12:57 PM
I agree with several of you:

Kordell will be a Bill - we need an experienced backup and he would provide that.

All of the Big 3 will be gone by #13 with or without a trade by SD (I hate to see it though since I picked Big Ben in the draft contest)

If we don't trade up (and I hope we do - see above) we'll take Losman or Schaub or Harris.

Al Davis is an idiot but he won't pass up Manning if he has the chance to get him. He won't take any other QB in the 1st.

matt
04-22-2004, 01:00 PM
If manning doesnt go 1st he will not make it to 4, dont listen to dennis green blowing smoke out his arse. He says he wants Fitz because there is no chance Manning will be there, if some freak of nature he is, he will take him.

ryjam282
04-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by matt
If manning doesnt go 1st he will not make it to 4, dont listen to dennis green blowing smoke out his arse. He says he wants Fitz because there is no chance Manning will be there, if some freak of nature he is, he will take him.

Now that would throw a monkey wrench in everyone's mock drafts huh?

Bill Brasky
04-22-2004, 01:17 PM

Everything I have seen lately has them being a lock to take Roy Williams. Remeber, they still have Gannon as well. Porter and Roy Williams would be a pretty good duo.

Correct. But the Raiders were going take Williams assuming that the Chargers would take Manning. I still think they will take him regardless as the Raiders have always been about recievers and Rice/Brown are aging. Williams would be a great compliment to Porter if they are able to find a good QB after Gannon is gone.

As far as Gannon goes, he is near the end of his career, and he has refused to take a significant pay cut (IE: he won't play for anything less than 7$ Million) which is why I could see them taking Manning if the Giants/Chargers don't... but I don't see that happening.

TedMock
04-22-2004, 01:22 PM

Now that would throw a monkey wrench in everyone's mock drafts huh?

Denny Green blowing smoke out of his arse?

Mr. Miyagi
04-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Drafting Manning is like having a threesome with 2 swedish swimsuit models - you'd be crazy to pass that up.

don137
04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Drafting Manning is like having a threesome with 2 swedish swimsuit models - you'd be crazy to pass that up.

Unless their names are Bjorn and Hans

Earthquake Enyart
04-22-2004, 02:07 PM
I stand corrected. Marinovich was a #1 (24th overall)

Next highest QB ever drafted by the Raiders? Marques Tuiasosopo, 2nd round....

Bill Brasky
04-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

German had a threesome with 2 sweedish chicks... he was tellin us all about it last night in the TZ... i have a new found respect for him.