PDA

View Full Version : Big NFL money wins again...

BuffaloRanger
04-22-2004, 04:03 PM
What a joke the old boy network in the NFL is. Oh they are so worried about high school kids entering the draft. But it would never be like the other sports, with 19 year olds being routinely selected in the 1st round. It would be the rare exception not the rule.

It's all about the money.

The NCAA is the free farm system of the NFL. The NCAA and the schools make millions while the players earn the privledge of being student-athletes. The NCAA claims they are worried about players not graduating - my ass. They are worried about their own income.

Not to mention this year, when there is a supplemental draft, the chargers get the biggest hookup ever with Williams. They should now trade down twice to the the Browns spot, get extra picks, and still end up with 2 top 10 players.

mypoorfriendme
04-22-2004, 05:06 PM
i agree...if the NCAA really wanted players to graduate, there would be a policy where youd have to have a diploma to play in the NFL.

i dont think the NFL has the right to say "no, you cant go professional or earn money until we say you can" to anyone. my three solutions...

1) A player must have recieved a diploma from a college or university reguardless of how long it took them to acheive that diploma. end of story, no exceptions.

2) Some sort of board is established which judges all early entry entry applications to filter out the claretts, and in the williams. juniors would need to propose their entry to the board as well, so they can be asured theyre not making a mistake (bc of course, its the NFL's obligation to tell someone how good the decision theyre making is)

or 3, the most rational) everyones welcome to entrer the nfl draft reguardless of your age. if a team wants to take a chance on you and thinks your mature enough to play in the league or will be in a few years, then so be it. if you dont get drafted, tough ****, youre an idiot for entering.

Devin
04-22-2004, 05:13 PM
I am thrilled, its a just rule and imo should be instituted in all leagues.

Congrats NFL.

Dozerdog
04-22-2004, 05:18 PM
In the long run- most sports should adopt this.

It's basically a Union thing. The NFLPA negotiated this into their contract.

The Union members win- Vet players won't be shown the door as quick
Owners win- It stablizes the workforce and having it written into the CBA it prevents costly lawsuits to challenge
The NCAA wins- better college ball

However, there should be an alternative route to the NFL for qualified 18-19 year olds other than colleges. In many cases, teams give scholarsips to really stupid athletes. That and on occasion, criminals. Some kids just don't fit inot college. They should allow them to try out and play in NFLE or another minor league until they are old enough- then apply for the draft