• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Signal's clear, Bills need quarterback

By Leo Roth
    Buffalo Bills general manager Tom Donahoe says his team already has one franchise quarterback but it would like to add another.
    In that breath, Donahoe paid Drew Bledsoe, his beleaguered old pro coming off his worst season, a big compliment, only to jam the knife in when he turned his back.
    Generally speaking, teams that truly believe they have a franchise QB don’t go fishing for another. They build around him. Donahoe, however, hasn’t said specifically that he plans on adding a franchise center or wide receiver or tight end during this weekend’s NFL draft.
    ...more
    Highly regarded North Carolina State quarterback Philip Rivers just might be available when the Bills pick 13th.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

I don't think drafting a good young QB to understudy Drew for a few years is a major slap in the face to a 32 year old QB coming off his worst season. I call it good planning.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• doug45
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      I don't think drafting a good young QB to understudy Drew for a few years is a major slap in the face to a 32 year old QB coming off his worst season. I call it good planning.

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

I agree!
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• BigZ
          • Sep 2003

This is a business and every NFL player knows that if he doesn't get the job done (or if he does but costs too much) he can and will be replaced.

Drew knows he sucked last year. He also knows that if he does again this year the Bills will need to have someone ready to step in.

This isn't a slap in the face - just reality.

Comment

• doug45
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by zielinski
            This is a business and every NFL player knows that if he doesn't get the job done (or if he does but costs too much) he can and will be replaced.

Drew knows he sucked last year. He also knows that if he does again this year the Bills will need to have someone ready to step in.

This isn't a slap in the face - just reality.

Well Said!

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
              • Jul 2002

Ring!!! Ring!!! Ring!!!

Hello, Mr. Bledsoe, this is your wakeup call.

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

same here. It's not like last year at all. Drew's getting up there in years and it shows in his play. He must know he doesn't have that many more years left.
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Jul 2003

I think we need to look for a Frank Reich in the later rounds. Someone who will be willing to sit the bench should Drew turn it around and then in a few years be able to take over.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                    • Aug 2003

We need a raw Qb who is getting paid a modest salsry in the draft one with potential that the new coaches (wasnt Wyche hired for this fact) can mold into a starter over the next 2-3 years face it Bledsoe haters he is going to retire a Buffalo Bill whether you like it or not that may mean starting the next 3 then moving to a backup role or retiring but I am willing to bet he is the starting QB for the next 3 years sink or swim, this year will be a guy who is happy to learn the NFL game for a couple years not a forst rounder Donahoe has something up his sleeve that doesnt include a first Rd QB

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                      Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                      • Mar 2003

If you want a modest salary, it would be Losman in the 2nd, Shaub in the 3rd, or Smoker in the 4th.
                      "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                      -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

bledsoe will have every opportunity to prove that the last 26 games he has played have been a fluke and due to kevin killdrive.

if bledsoe plays great and gets 25tds and no more than 15 turnovers and gets us into the playoffs, then he will be safe.. if not, then he could and most likely will be replaced.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                          • Jul 2002

Re: Signal's clear, Bills need quarterback

Originally posted by The_Philster
                          By Leo Roth
                          Buffalo Bills general manager Tom Donahoe says his team already has one franchise quarterback but it would like to add another.

TD knows damn well we don't have any franchise QB on this team as of right now!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

Nice post phil.

I'm not a "huge" fan of Leo Roth, but what a great article. I think he nails it perfectly.

"...if the Bills don’t land that young arm now, that whole process is delayed yet another season.

Buffalo is way overdue in the drafting and developing of a starting quarterback. Try 20 years.

Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, way back in 1983, was the first and last quarterback the Bills drafted in the first round. Even as his career began to slow, the Bills’ only attempt at planning for the future was taking Todd Collins in the second round in 1995. Since then, they’ve drafted 78 players, none of them QBs.

Oh, Buffalo hasn’t been shy about giving away No. 1 picks for other team’s rejects: Rob Johnson in 1998 and Bledsoe in 2003. The Bills are a combined 23-36 with Johnson and Bledsoe. Could a solid young prospect do any worse?

Yes, the draft is like throwing darts. But it’s time the Bills stop throwing darts at other team’s misses or has-beens. This is as good a year as any.

In the past 21 drafts, teams have selected 233 quarterbacks after Round 2 and only around 30 became starters of any note. A batting average of .129.

In comparison, 72 quarterbacks have been taken in the first two rounds and around 40 have been worthy starters or stars (.555). It improves for first-rounders (30 of 51, .588).

The Bills have waited long enough to get back in on those odds.
                            "

Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 04-23-2004, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X