PDA

View Full Version : Bills ready to be flexible on draft day

The Spaz
04-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Buffalo Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe has often said teams have to be prepared for anything on draft day. He could find out how true that is this weekend.
Quarterback has been a major focus of the Bills' predraft talk. But if the top three - Mississippi's Eli Manning, North Carolina State's Philip Rivers and Miami (Ohio)'s Ben Roethlisberger - are gone, Buffalo likely will take a defensive lineman or wide receiver with the 13th overall selection.

Ohio State's Will Smith and Southern California's Kenechi Udeze are the best pass-rushing defensive ends in the draft. Smith is considered more polished. He started 39 games in four seasons and displays the natural skills to rush the passer and hold his own against the run. The Buckeyes also allowed him to drop back into pass coverage, which should tell you something about his athletic ability.

Udeze, who has dropped more than 100 pounds since high school, may have more long-term potential. He's a powerfully built athlete who dominated USC's competition (NCAA-high 161/2 sacks in 2003). He was almost unblockable in the Rose Bowl against Michigan, recording four tackles for loss, three sacks and a forced fumble to help lead the Trojans to a share of the national championship.

Udeze's draft stock might be hurt by the rumor of a torn muscle in his shoulder that could require surgery and sideline him for a portion of his rookie season. But agent Thomas Barnes insists Udeze's shoulder is healthy. Even if medical questions linger, Udeze has too much promise for a team to pass him up early in the first round.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040423/1053075.asp?tbd1053075.asp

Dozerdog
04-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Udeze DROPPED 100 pouns since HS?

Red Flag!

The Spaz
04-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Red Flag!

Why? How many pounds did Bruce Smith lose? Go to BB.com the scouts say they don't worry about his weight anymore the guy is proud of all the weight he has lost and look like a greek god now.

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2004, 09:27 AM

Red Flag!

I thought that I read the kid decided to dedicate his life to become the greatest DE of all time and he has studied all the great pass rushers and can incorporate all of their moves. Sounds like he might have an ego the size of Bruce Smith's, but if he could play even close to what Bruce did, I would take the tradeoff.

Canadian'eh!
04-23-2004, 11:02 AM
JUST FYI....

I read in espn insider that the Jaguars MAY be behind the shoulder injury rumor. according to them, it's not uncommon for a team that really wants a player to try and float a rumor like this to scare off the teams ahead of them. They also said although his shoulder was injured before, it is not serious and if this was true Udeze would NOT have been able to make such and impressive showing in the weight lifiting portion of the combine.

Tatonka
04-23-2004, 11:11 AM

Red Flag!

he used to be a DT.. he dropped the weight over 2 years ago.. and is not a health freak.. he is in love with his body and there is no concern that he go back to being a pudge..

that actually reminds me ALOT of bruce smith.