PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe keeps everyone guessing on Bills draft plans

The Spaz
04-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Tom Donahoe likes to keep everyone guessing about the Buffalo Bills' plans heading into this weekend's NFL Draft.

Anything, the team's president said, is possible when it comes time for Buffalo to make its scheduled 13th overall pick on Saturday.

"A lot of times you don't know until it starts," Donahoe said of his draft strategy. "People like to play their cards close to the vest. And if it's to our advantage to trade up, we'll look at that. If it's to our advantage to trade back, we'll look at that as well. So I don't know if we ever go into draft and say, 'This is the plan.'"

One thing's for sure, Donahoe said, and that's not to trust what anyone says until an actual pick is made.

"The one thing we found out years ago at the draft is that nobody tells the truth," he said.

Whether that's Donahoe's version of pre-draft gamesmanship or not, what's clear is his record of swinging deals or making surprise picks during his past three drafts in Buffalo.

In 2001, Donahoe swapped first-round picks with Tampa Bay, dropping from No. 14 to No. 21, to select cornerback Nate Clements. As part of the deal, the Bills also got the 51st pick, which they dealt to Denver for the Broncos' second- (58th pick) and fourth-round (110th) selections.

Donahoe selected running back Travis Henry with the 58th pick and linebacker Brandon Spoon at 110.

In 2002, Donahoe not only chose offensive tackle Mike Williams fourth overall, but capped the draft weekend by landing Drew Bledsoe in a trade with New England.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040423/APS/404230843

justasportsfan
04-23-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm sure even he doesn't know what's going to happen. I doubt he knew he was going to end up drafting Willis going into last years draft.

The Spaz
04-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
I'm sure even he doesn't know what's going to happen. I doubt he knew he was going to end up drafting Willis going into last years draft.

He admits he doesnt know what's goign to happen untill the draft acually starts, and that makes sense.

Dozerdog
04-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
He admits he doesnt know what's goign to happen untill the draft acually starts, and that makes sense.

He knew that if Willis was there, he'd take him.

These guys (GMs) have dozens of scenarios mapped out I'm sure

The Spaz
04-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
He knew that if Willis was there, he'd take him.

These guys (GMs) have dozens of scenarios mapped out I'm sure

That's true I'm just saying you can't have one pre-determined scenario.

One Bills Drive
04-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Let me assure you, the fans of BillsZone, that I know everything there is to know about this year's draft. I know exactly how it will play out, and I already have our plan set in motion. The only truth in my statement to the press was that nobody tells the truth, e.g., me.

On a final note before the draft tomorrow, we are going to pick a QB in the first round. Here's a little clue for you - his uniform has red in it.

Sincerely,

TD

Bled2Hen
04-23-2004, 06:00 PM
PIFF,,,, who in the blue hell r u?????????

HenryRules
04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey, we're the Bills ... you at least know we're picking a DE on day 1. Isn't there something in the rule book about that?

ShadowHawk7
04-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by One Bills Drive
Let me assure you, the fans of BillsZone, that I know everything there is to know about this year's draft. I know exactly how it will play out, and I already have our plan set in motion. The only truth in my statement to the press was that nobody tells the truth, e.g., me.

On a final note before the draft tomorrow, we are going to pick a QB in the first round. Here's a little clue for you - his uniform has red in it.

Sincerely,

TD

:lol:

The Spaz
04-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by One Bills Drive

Sincerely,

TD

Thanks for the pick me up TD!:up::beers: