PDA

View Full Version : Tillman's #40 to be retired...

BLeonard
04-24-2004, 02:13 AM
Here's a link... http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1880

-Bill

STAMPY
04-24-2004, 02:16 AM
Cardinals are finally a class organization in my eyes!!!

STAMPY
04-24-2004, 02:17 AM
i have more respect for tillman than any pro athlete i ever seen

Hermanator21
04-24-2004, 02:41 AM
I have the upmost respect for Pat Tillman aswell. I hope the NFL will make every team wear #40 on the back of there helmets. My prayers are with him.

mypoorfriendme
04-24-2004, 03:29 AM
while i agree with everyone wanting to give him credit and all, id be reluctant to retire his jersey considering if he had a choice in the matter today, he surly would not want any more publicity or honors than any other fallen soldier.

im only 17 and i can honestly say that pat tillman is my first true american hero

Michael82
04-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
while i agree with everyone wanting to give him credit and all, id be reluctant to retire his jersey considering if he had a choice in the matter today, he surly would not want any more publicity or honors than any other fallen soldier.

I agree totally! He definitely wouldn't want that. Heck, he never wanted to be interviewed, because it takes away from the many soldiers who also lose their lives fighting for their country.

The_Philster
04-24-2004, 07:42 AM
The Arizona Cardinals today announced the plaza surrounding the perimeter of the new Cardinals Stadium, scheduled to open in 2006 in Glendale, will be named “Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza.”

“Pat exhibited the finest qualities of humanity—loyalty, integrity, and excellence—and we are honored to show our appreciation to this citizen soldier,” offers Cardinal President Bill Bidwill. “The plaza will be open 365 days a year as an interactive
exhibit to celebrate American freedom and Pat’s legacy.

We will coordinate efforts with the City of Glendale and the Tourism and Sports Authority to make this a reality.”...
more (http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1880) http://www.azcardinals.com/images/news/tillmaninhonor.jpg

shelby
04-24-2004, 07:45 AM
:patriot:

:(

Mr. Miyagi
04-24-2004, 07:47 AM
While I applaud all the efforts of recognition of Pat Tillman, because he truly deserves it, I don't understand why the Cardinals never gave him a spit worth of attention until he was dead. He surely was a hero before he died.

Cntrygal
04-27-2004, 07:42 AM
The back room in an office in Arlington, Texas, is the place where game-used jerseys are momentarily stored until they're brought to the cutting room. The jerseys are then diced and sliced into little squares that are attached to Donruss cards.

In the past three years, more than 20,000 jerseys have left the room ... and yet Pat Tillman's Arizona Cardinals jersey, one that arrived in the room shortly after the 2000 season, never made it out.

Monday, it was found lying in the very same place where a company official put it more than three years ago.

Jersey found (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1790530)

Ebenezer
04-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
Cardinals are finally a class organization in my eyes!!!

It's a great and classy move but it didn't take a brain surgeon to do the obvious...the Cards still suck...

The_Philster
04-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
...the Cards still suck...
and as long as Bidwell is in charge, they'll remain that way.

Cntrygal
04-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Did either of you read the jersey link?

Dozerdog
04-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
While I applaud all the efforts of recognition of Pat Tillman, because he truly deserves it, I don't understand why the Cardinals never gave him a spit worth of attention until he was dead. He surely was a hero before he died.

Pat Tillman did not want and refused any attention for his actions. He did not grant a single interview, even as the press camped outside his base where he trained.

They were following Pat Tillman's wishes.

BlueFire
04-27-2004, 02:34 PM

im only 17 and i can honestly say that pat tillman is my first true american hero

I'm 19 and I agree 100% with that statement.

G Wolly
04-27-2004, 02:45 PM
i think that at least arizona should do for tillman what the atlanta thrashers did for dan snyder after he died in a car crash.for a memorial to snyder, the thrashers wear a "37" on their jersey and have it on the boards.the nfl should consider doing the same for tillman at least have arizona do it.i wouldnt mind seeing a "40" on every teams helmet or jersey.:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Bert102176
04-27-2004, 08:52 PM
as far as I am concerned every team should retire his number

Bert102176
04-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Tillman was a stand up guy and will be sorally missed, all I can really say is ty Pat for fighting for our freedom

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Look, nothing against Pat Tillman and everything, I think he's a great guy.

But I don't like how everyone talks about how <i>he's</i> so great. It should be more geared towards <i>they're</i> so great.

There's tens of thousands of people over there. Some have missed their baby's first steps, some have missed them being born, etc., etc..

Yes, Tillman gave up a lot, but so has everyone else that's gone. They're all special, but it seems that we're saying that Tillman is more special because he gave up an NFL contract. I really disagree with that last statement.

Go ahead and honour Tillman's jersey, but make the commemmorative jersey a special one with the Rangers symbol or something so that people remember what he, and thousands of others, did/are doing at this time.

The_Philster
04-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Honestly, I think the reason Tillman gets so much attention is because he was a famous guy...at least in the circles of sports fans like us.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Honestly, I think the reason Tillman gets so much attention is because he was a famous guy...at least in the circles of sports fans like us.

I agree with that ... it's obviously a good story to run with and it makes good publicity for the NFL.

But I'd feel less like the NFL was playing this up for publicity if they were separating his football accomplishments from his military contributions and were honoring him as a solider instead of a football player.

What really annoys me is this ... if Tillman came back healthy, would they have retired his #? I doubt it. I don't think the actual fact of him dying should alter the way in which he is treated for going over there.

Fans also seem to be the same way. 1 year ago, no one was asking for Tillman's number to be retired. He hasn't done anything more on the football field in that time.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
Did either of you read the jersey link?

What is this world comming to? A man forgoes millions to fight for his country, and a company official now forgoes ten of millions to give a jersey back to his family after his death.

Whatever it is, I hope it is catchy.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 09:20 PM

These are the specific comments that I am referring to. I'm sorry, but this comment makes me sick to my stomach.

He was not the first person to die over there. He was not the first person to receive publicity for going over there. He was not the first person to give something up and go over there. But oh yeah, he was the first one who could play safety, so he's a hero and they're all schmoes.

Jessica Lynch made the news a hell of a lot earlier than Tillman did. What was so forgettable about her story?

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

But I don't like how everyone talks about how &lt;i&gt;he's&lt;/i&gt; so great. It should be more geared towards &lt;i&gt;they're&lt;/i&gt; so great.

There's tens of thousands of people over there. Some have missed their baby's first steps, some have missed them being born, etc., etc..

Yes, Tillman gave up a lot, but so has everyone else that's gone. They're all special, but it seems that we're saying that Tillman is more special because he gave up an NFL contract. I really disagree with that last statement.

Go ahead and honour Tillman's jersey, but make the commemmorative jersey a special one with the Rangers symbol or something so that people remember what he, and thousands of others, did/are doing at this time.

I quite agree with a lot of this statement.

Here is what they are fighting for:
http://www.name-origins.com/freedom.jpg

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Entirely unrelated to this, and it's an completely minor complaint, but I just noticed that the code that generates quotes in your forums engine translates html elements into literal text. Not sure what engine you're using, or if it's a personally developed forums engine, but it might be something to report for a hotfix or something.

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 09:37 PM
HR,

The attention given to Tillman in no way diminishes the sacrifices made by other fallen soldiers. Tillman is newsworthy not because he died but becuse of how he lived.

I'll let the Buffalo News writer Bob Dicesare explain it better than I can.

"Pat Tillman's death Thursday night during fighting in Afghanistan warrants special action on the part of the NFL. Black armbands or helmet decals would be fleeting, inadequate tributes to the memory of a man whose selfless devotion to country tugs at the heartstrings of a nation.

It's not a matter of Tillman's life being more important than those of other soldiers who have died in Iraq, Afghanistan or any other military action. It's not a matter of Tillman's life being more important than that of Bills guard Bob Kalsu, killed in Vietnam in 1970.

But the circumstances are unique in that Tillman left behind a multimillion dollar job in the country's most popular sport, a decision that generated extensive publicity even though Tillman declined all interview requests. The public was awed by his dedication, his determination. Tillman regarded himself as just another soldier.

Too many times soldiers die in battle and we're insulated by our detachment, our lack of familiarity. We glance at their names in the news story, maybe feel a pang of regret, a twinge of sympathy. Then we turn the pages and our lives go on.

Rarely is our country, or any country, given to collectively mourning the death of a single soldier because how many soldiers are household names? How many athletes walk out of the arena and into the battlefield, convinced they couldn't live with themselves if they had it any other way? The NFL began its draft proceedings Saturday with Commissioner Paul Tagliabue paying tribute to Tillman. And then it was on to business as usual, which on this day amounted to Eli Manning trying to orchestrate his perfect world by dictating which franchise would enrich him with a $50 million to $60 million contract. Poor Eli. This was no time to come across as a spoiled brat.

The Cardinals already have honored Tillman by retiring his No. 40 jersey. The NFL should take it further, retiring Tillman's jersey number from the league, just as baseball did with Jackie Robinson. It'll be more than a long time before someone comes along worthy of that number. It'll probably be forever."

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry, and I love what Tillman did, but what Jackie Robinson endured for his race, has no correlation to what Tillman did for his country and Dicesare should be ashamed of himself for compairing the two.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 09:50 PM
That article is actually one of the worst pieces of journalism that I have ever seen.

First, regarding Tillman - league-wide honors should be for contributions to the game of football. Team honours should be for contributions to the team. I think a fitting way to honor Tillman would be an award or something, not given annually, only given when deserved, for someone who sacrifices greatly for the ocmmunity. Jackie Robinson contributed to each and every team in MLB, mainly because half their roster wouldn't be playing right now if it weren't for him. That's why his # should be retired league-wide. Tillman's contributions have no more an impact on the other teams in the NFL than the rest of the people overseas and that's why I don't think the number should be retired for other teams (obviously he did have a special contribution to the Cards, but it was his military contributions that were special, which is why I think the Rangers themselves should be honored at the same time).

Now the other part that makes me annoyed with his writing. He's using Tillman to complain about Eli. Eli told the Chargers privately that he would not play for them and would hold out and re-enter the draft. This is entirely within the rules and he went about it in the most classy way possible. San Diego had reasonable offers on the table at the time for him, so it wasn't like he was asking for something they couldn't reasonably accomplish - and again, what he was doing was entirely within the rules. San Diego chose to make it public. First he slams Eli for being willing to forego money to go to the team he wants (which is what holding out his), then he slams Eli for accepting a rich contract. Quit being jealous Bob. Actually, my main beef isn't even his opinion on Eli, it's the forum he chose to discuss it in. What does Eli not signing with the Chargers have to do with Tillman at all?

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

But I don't like how everyone talks about how &lt;i&gt;he's&lt;/i&gt; so great. It should be more geared towards &lt;i&gt;they're&lt;/i&gt; so great.

Two Points:

1. Sadly, many of those same sacrifices are made by soldiers during peacetime also. Soldiers with families miss out on alot. It's an unfortunate but necessary part of the job. Units would be conducting training in the field, and soldiers would miss kid's birthdays and sports events, anniversaries, graduations, weddings, etc.

2. Leave the Ranger symbol (It's a Tab) off of any Commemmorative Jersey. It's not the sort of thing that the Ranger community wants people wearing - for any reason. Basically, if someone was wearing a shirt with a Ranger Tab on it, they better be one, married to one, or a parent of a Ranger. Not brother, not friend. Girlfriend is even frowned upon.

But a Jersey with an some sort of Army patch, or better yet the Operation patch would be appropriate.

HenryRules
04-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

2. Leave the Ranger symbol (It's a Tab) off of any Commemmorative Jersey. It's not the sort of thing that the Ranger community wants people wearing - for any reason. Basically, if someone was wearing a shirt with a Ranger Tab on it, they better be one, married to one, or a parent of a Ranger. Not brother, not friend. Girlfriend is even frowned upon.

I don't think anyone should end up wearing the commemorative jersey. That would pretty much cement my opinion that the NFL is doing it for publicity and not to honor Tillman. I was just referring to the jersey they'd hang in the stadium. Of course, if that's not something the Ranger community would like, then obviously it should be altered. My reasoning for saying that it a Ranger tab should be included is because his contribution to the army is what the retiring of his jersey is honoring - not his football contribution. Again, it should be up to the approval of the appropriate military personnel as well.

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 11:13 PM
A trophy for an athlete that sacrifices greatly for his community sounds good - but what sacrifice would compare? None.

That's just it. There will probably never be another athlete to walk away form a million dollar contract to enlist in the military at the lowest rank. He gave up what was a substantial salary which would have afforded him many luxuries in order to serve his country. He didn't just talk the talk, he walked the walk and gave truth to the phrase ''by their deeds, ye shall know them.''

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Tillman isn't my hero, but I admire the sacrifice he made and his dedication greatly.

Cntrygal
04-28-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
What is this world comming to? A man forgoes millions to fight for his country, and a company official now forgoes ten of millions to give a jersey back to his family after his death.

Whatever it is, I hope it is catchy.

Too bad that "disease" wouldn't sweep the world....

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
Leave the Ranger symbol (It's a Tab) off of any Commemmorative Jersey. It's not the sort of thing that the Ranger community wants people wearing - for any reason. Basically, if someone was wearing a shirt with a Ranger Tab on it, they better be one, married to one, or a parent of a Ranger. Not brother, not friend. Girlfriend is even frowned upon.

But a Jersey with an some sort of Army patch, or better yet the Operation patch would be appropriate.

:up:

I would vote for the Operation patch, if for no other reason... how "fast" our society is. I have "kids" that work for me that feel "Desert Shield/Storm" are ancient history.