PDA

View Full Version : Last-minute MOCK DRAFT

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Well, here we are, the eve before the draft and I'm stocked and ready. The conversation has been great. Meanwhile, I'm kind of hoping TD shocks the NFL again somehow.... Camp opens in a few months so we are going to have a dry May with very little to talk about. We'll do the best we can. Luckily June 1st cuts will occupy some of our time in June and then it's a long boring July until camp. We'll get there eventually though. On to my final mock.

Typically I hate when people throw in trades that are not completed into the draft. But with all the to do surrounding Eli and the Chargers, I'm convinced this trade is all but finalized. Anyway, no way the chargers stay at #1 now so even if i'm wrong the draft order will change anyway.

Here goes nothing:

1- New York Giants - Eli Manning QB - Rumors involve picks and Hilliard. Archie gets his wish and we all hate E-whine Demanding forever. (I know that sucked but I'm trying). Kerry Collins gets hammered and arrested again and then drops an N-Bomb on his arresting officer. This story is played out. we know it's Manning.

Others: None. This is the pick. We know this.

2- Oakland Raiders - Robert Gallery OT - Gallery is the pick here. Whether or not Oakland is making it or not is the question. If they really want Roy Williams than I can definitely see them trading down with Cleveland who really want Gallery bad. Personally, I think they are foolish to pass up Larry Fitzgerald but hey, it's Al Davis.

Others: Trade down, Roy Williams WR, or Big Ben QB (won't happen but probably should Gannon is done)

3- Arizona Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald WR - another no-brainer. Fitzgerald SHOULD be the first name off the board. But as it stands he falls to the overjoyed Cards who are now feeling pretty damn good they let basket-case David Boston go. I wasn't convinced before Green didn't think he needed a QB, but either he means it or he's the best actor in the NFL. WR is not their biggest need by far, but Green knows special offensive talent when he sees it.

Others: Gallery, Big Ben, Winslow, Taylor... if someone sneaks ahead of them and takes Fitz they could go in any direction at this point.

4- San Diego Chargers -Philip Rivers QB - Just my gut feeling here. He could go 10 different directions and no one would make a fuss. But I think WR is out because they will likely get Hiliard as part of the trade. They could still use one though. But I have heard from Mort that Marty can't stop talking about Rivers, so maybe he just goes with him after all.

Others: Anything along the D-line. Roy Williams. another trade down... possibly to Jax.

5- Washington Redskins - Kellen Winslow Jr - Everyone says he's perfect for Joe Gibbs' offense so why not just take him. lots of trade down rumors out there for the Skins. Actually every team in the top 6 have some sort of trade down or up rumor. I think they stay here unless the Pats are willing to give up Ty Law to them. (latest rumor i heard). In the end I think they stay put and take Winslow.

Others: Trade up/down, I hate Dan Snyder, Sean Taylor FS, DE's, DT's

6- Detroit Lions - Sean Taylor FS - Big time trade rumors in Detroit. Bills and Steelers both would be desperate to move up and get Big Ben I would think. Pats could have a deal in place to move up and get Taylor. But if they were to stay put, Taylor would have to be the pick. Need a RB badly though.

Others: Winslow, Stephen Jackson RB, TRADES!

7- Cleveland Browns - DeAngelo Hall CB - If this happens you know the Browns are severely disappointed. They could use Hall; and this is a descent spot for him, but they really want Gallery, Taylor or Winslow. Looking to deal all the way, and probably will seeing as they have the #7, Couch and Northcutt and Green to send packing.

Others: TRADE!

8- Atlanta Falcons - Roy Williams WR - Strong feeling Roy goes to the Raiders at #7 and the Browns get Gallery but i can't say 4 sure so Williams goes to Atlanta. They wanted him all along to give Vick yet another weapon. They need Defense far more though and I personally think this pick is a big mistake.

Others: Any of the top 4 D-linemen.... and that would have been better.

9- Jacksonville Jaguars - Kenechi Udeze DE - The guy they wanted. although they would have probably taken Roy Williams if he was there. Jimmy Smith is showing the signs of age very rapidly and Leftwich needs help. They could be the ones starting the Udeze shoulder injury rumors to scare off other teams. Udeze helps their defense greatly and the team needs another year or 2 to compete anyway. he gets the time to grow as well.

Others: Roy Williams, Will Smith, trade up for Fitzgerald (unlikely IMO)

10 - Houston Texans - Vince Wilfork DT - DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE! they need to improve their D desperately. Wilfork definitely does that. The perfect player for their 3-4 on the nose. Pocket collapser.

Others: Dunta Robinson CB, Tommie Harris DT, Trade down to stockpile picks.

11- Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Roethlisberger QB - Pitts wants a QB and they get the best of the bunch IMO. But they need to expand the jersey's to fit his name.

Others: A CB or Rivers. May trade up to ensure they get a QB.

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2004, 08:54 AM
12- New York Jets - Dunta Robinson CB - The Jets need a lot of help in general, but mostly on defense. Their LB core has had a few key losses this year and they aren't getting any younger at CB. So they take a young CB that is very good and deserving of the #12 spot. But a trade down to pick some of the LB's and get a few more picks would help a lot more.

Others: Vilma, DJ Wlliams, Trade down.

13- BUFFALO BILLS - Will Smith DE - I thought long an hard about Reggie Williams, and imagine TD would too. But the WR position is loaded and something might be there in the 2nd round that would be of better value than Reggie would be here. Smith has the kind of pass rushing ability that can't be taught to lesser players. Sacks kill drives, but pressure causes turnovers. Turnovers win games. An Elite pass rusher is the last piece of the Bills defensive puzzle. It improves the pass coverage and makes blitzes more effective. to have the opposing line/back having to help double team DE's on passing situations makes a huge difference. The Bills could use a CB if they don't believe in McGee, but I do. The Bills might also look at Wilfork or Harris if they are there, but my gut tells me TD knows that DT's are easier to find than that elusive sackmaster. WR will come in round 2. Trades up and Down could be in the cards as well.

Others: already explained - a surprise might be if TD jus decided to take a guy like Rashaun Woods or Lee Evans right here. But I would think he's move down 5 picks or so if he did want one of those 2 players. And I wouldn't mind them at all.

14- Chicago Bears - Tommie Harris DT - Once a top 5 pick Harris could drop as far as 14 now. The Bears need DT help desperately and would not hesitate to pull the trigger on picking Harris.

Others: Reggie Williams, Wilfork (won't be there). Trade pick for Ogunleye (not likely)

15- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Reggie Williams WR - The Bucs could definitely use a LB like Johnathan Vilma or DJ Williams and they just might take them, But Galloway has had a great deal of injuries and McCardell is not a #1. Gruden likes offensive weapons.

Others: Stephen Jackson RB, LB's, Trade down to let someone else tale Stephen Jackson.

16- San Francisco 49ers - Lee Evans WR- They need to replace TO. More likely than not they will be sticking at this pick. If Jackson gets by Tampa he'll be picked here by the Eagles or Cowboys possibly. San Fran would then take Clayton or Evans later.

Others: Woods, Clayton, Trade down

17- Denver Broncos - Stephen Jackson RB - And Denver celebrates! the trade up with Cincy for O'Neil works out. They get their replacement for Portis. But I get the feeling that this a too low and that Jackson will be gone by 17.

Others: LB's and RB's, trade up.

18- New Orleans Saints - DJ Williams OLB - New Orleans needs help at LB and in the secondary. If they are sold on Chris Gamble, this could be his spot. Williams is a better prospect IMO I think in NO's opinion too.

Others: CB or LB

19- Minnesota Vikings - Johnathan Vilma ILB - Some think Vilma is undersized but he is very talented and finds ways to make up for his size. Minnesota needs playmakers on D and Vilma is a steal at 19. If a WR felt hey would look hard.

Others: WR, LB's, OG Vernon Carey

20- Miami Dolphins - Shane Andrews OT - The phins continue to rebuild their O-line. With Boston in the fold they have no need to select a WR as they may have been targeting before. Unless someone too good to pas up slips, this will be the best O-lineman available.

Others: Vernon Carey OG

21- New England Patriots (from Baltimore) - Michael Clayton WR - The champs no longer need a RB so they can feel free to pick an for he best player. A WR can always help and so the Pats take Clayton.

Other: who knows. they could trade up and take an elite player. Also could take Woods or a CB like Gamble.

22- Dallas Cowboys - OG Vernon Carey - Parcells needs a RB and has said he like Jones as much as Jackson. So that would not be a surprise. But with Allen on his way out of town, Carey comes off the board to take his place.

Others: Kevin Jones RB, Chris Perry RB, Chris Gamble CB

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2004, 08:55 AM
23- Seattle Seahawks - Randy Starks DT - Seattle improved their D already with Wistrom and Taylor, But still need help at LB and DT. Starks is the best DT left on the board.

Others: Carlos Dansby LB, Marcus Tubbs DT

24- Cincinati Bengals - Chris Gamble CB - Gambles fall stops at 24. There are questions about his speed, but he was highly productive in college. Cincy lost out on Vincent and Taylor, and Weathersby, shot last year was badly hurt in a car accident a month ago.

Others: Tubbs, Jake Grove C, Will Poole CB, RB?

25- Green Bay Packers - Marcus Tubbs DT - The Pack are stuck in no man's land here. Too high to pick Losman, too low to get a top QB or DE that they need. I had a lot of trouble with this one so I took a guess and went with a DT.

Others: Ben Troupe TE, Jason Babin DE, WR.

26- St. Louis Rams - Ben Troupe TE -First sort of surprise pick here. Troupe is a deep threat at TE that maleamulamalumala isn't (I know spelling), anyway, another weapon for Martz.

Others: Babin DE, Losman QB, prepare to be surprised.

27- Tennessee Titans - Darnell Dockett DT - A stretch pick for the Titans. They need help along the D line and most of the 1st round talent is gone.

Others: Babin, Oline. Trade up.

28- Philadelphia Eagles- Will Poole CB - Lost both starters this year, and need to add yet another talent. Looking to move up to 16 with San Fran to get Jackson if he is there.

Others: Dansby LB, Trade up

29 - Indianapolis Colts - Carlos Dansby LB- Defense all the way. This is a good spot for Dansby to go. A good pick this late in the first. Dungy needs help on D.

Others: Defense

30 - Kansas City Chiefs - Rashaun Woods WR - The best offense in the NFL gets a lot better. Steal of the draft territory, maybe too low though.

Others: WR's DT's

31 - Carolina Panthers - Ahmad Carroll CB - CB is probably their biggest need, but they may just go with the best player available at this point.

Others: Jenkins WR, CB's, O-line

32 - New England Patriots - Sean Jones FS - A bit higher than a lot of people would take him, but the Pats have issues in the secondary and without a top CB being available to them they may go FS here. Another option might be to go CB at 21 and WR here if there's one available or something along the O-line.

Others: Trade up with their 2 picks for a top flight player.

WOOOO tough near the end, but I got through it.