PDA

View Full Version : Clump's First Rd Mock Draft

clumping platelets
04-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Yes, I know.....by the time I get to the draft party, this mock will be obsolete :( But that being said, I will project the first rd using whatever rumors, common sense, etc I believe is pertinent. I aslo will post my thoughts on the Bills entire draft afterwards. I put a lot of weight into future FA and cap situation and will usually put future needs ahead of short term needs. Why? Well, because a team cannot go into the draft expecting to draft starters. If they do, they (and fans) are more times than not, disappointed. San Diego Chargers on the clock and they trade to the NY Giants.....

ROUND 1

1) NY Giants(SD): QB Eli Manning(Mississippi)- Trading down is the best option for the Chargers. They have fall too many needs. If they were to keep the pick, it MUST be OT Gallery because that is a position of a more critical need than QB. Recent events of Manning not wanting to go to San Diego are disappointing. Only 32 teams in the NFL and the opportunity is a rare one. Giants get the franchise QB and will allow him to learn for a year behind Collins. SD sends 1,1 and 5,133 to NYG for 1,4;2,34;WR Hilliard, and 4th rd 2005

2) Cleveland(OAK): OT Robert Gallery(Iowa)- The only player I would want the Bills to trade up for. Browns, since re-entering the league, have been looking for the franchise LT. They have found it in Gallery. He will allow Verba to move back inside to G and give Garcia the protection needed from the blind-side.OAK sends 1,2 and 6,166 to CLE for 1,7;2,37; and 2nd rd 2005

3) Arizona: WR Larry Fitzgerald(Pittsburgh)-A player that wants to go to the Cardinals organization? Dennis Green brings that to this grossly underachieving franchise. The personal connection to his former ballboy in Minnesota doesn't hurt. If the plan is to go with Josh McCown at QB, then giving him the weapons to be successful makes sense. Cards have invested heavily in recent years on the OL, so maybe it can come together finally after poor performance and injuries.

4) Jacksonville(NYG/SD): WR Roy Williams(Texas)-Jags have a franchise QB and RB. Improved OL and a defense that steadily improved over then the second half of 2003 season. Need to give Leftwich more targets on offense. If Mike Williams was eligible, they would likely stay put at #9, but Roy Williams will not make it to that pick. SD continues collecting draft picks to restock their roster. [/i]SD sends 1,4 to Jags for 1,9;3,70;and 3,72[/i]

5) Washington: DB Sean Taylor(Miami,FL)- Skins will strongly consider trading down. They only have 3 choices in the draft and with HUGE cap problems looming in 2006, more picks in this draft will help their depth now but possibly make difficult cap decisions later somewhat easier. Taylor gives them the elite safety prospect and someone who can help take away the bigger stronger WRs and TEs.

6) Detroit: TE Kellen Winslow(Miami,FL) - Another attempt to give a young franchise QB better weapons in which to run the offense. Winslow's talent fit well into the WCO. Now all the Lions need is better talent behind the QB.

7) Oakland(CLE): QB Ben Roethlisberger(Miami,OH)-You always hold your breath when the Raiders pick in rd 1. They are usually one of the teams that surprises and takes the player that few, if any, mock drafts have them taking. I haven't seen much said about the Raiders and "Big Ben". If the Raiders can consider Manning at #2 if available, then why not trade down and grab a different QB. New HC Norv Turner cannot truly believe that Tuiasosopo is the QB to lead them to the promise land. This is a fall back pick if WR Roy Williams not here

8) Atlanta: CB DeAngelo Hall(Virginia Tech)-Not as much of a need as #1 WR (sorry Peerless) or DL(switch to 4-3), but Hall gives them a huge upgrade of speed on defense and in special teams as a returner. Compared to, but not nearly as talented as, former Falcon Deion Sanders but very much in the same mold. Could consider DE Udeze if not concerned with his shoulder.

9) San Diego(JAX): QB Philip Rivers(No. Carolina St)- They get the QB they wanted all along. They've added many quality choices to rebuild the team and a starting WR in Ike Hilliard. Rivers will likely spend 2004 behind Flutie with Brees looking for rental information in his new surroundings where ever they end up trading him to.

10) Minnesota(HOU): DE Will Smith(Ohio St)- Vikings had flirted with the possibility of adding Fins' RFA DE Ogunleye but felt the price in contract and picks was cost-prohibitive. Do not feel that Smith will fall to them and have found a willing partner to make a move in rd 1 in the Texans who were looking at Hall. HOU sends 1,10 and 4,122 to Vikings for 1,19;2,50; and 4,115

11) Pittsburgh: DE Kenechi Udeze(USC)-Completely under the radar. Everyone has pegged the Steelers draft day hopes solely on the QB position. Steelers have some concerns on the DL as well as the future at QB. Steelers take chance that Udeze's shoulder will hold up in 2004 and also handle the 3-4 DE spot.

12) NY Jets: RB Steven Jackson(Oregon St)-Another surprise choice. This move is more for the future. Trade rumors surround Lamont Jordan and Curtis Martin has some HUGE cap numbers and could be a cap casualty after 2004. Why? Well, Jets have some major FA decisions to make after this season in QB Pennington, DE Abraham, DE Ellis, among others. Pennington is not likely going anywhere. Adding Jackson to the backfield gives them the flexibility to trade Jordan and release Martin for cap purposes

13) Denver(BUF):LB D. J. Williams(Miami,FL)- Broncos have some HUGE concerns at LB. Gold is not likely to return at OLB due to FA (and unrealistic demands) and both Mobley and Wilson are coming off major injuries. Denver originally swapped spots with Bengals to better position them for another move up for either a LB or possibly RB Jackson BUF sends 1,13 to DEN for 1,17;3,85;and 5th rd 2005

14) Chicago:DT Vince Wilfork(Miami,FL)- Bears have let both Keith Traylor and Ted Washington leave due to cap and age concerns. Thus far, replacements have not come through. Adding Wilfork allows them to move Bryan Robinson outside to DE and gives them a much improved DL

15) Tampa Bay:WR Michael Clayton(LSU)- Both starters at WR, Galloway and McCardell, are over 30. Must prepare for the future. Bucs have needs in the defensive front seven but Clayton may offer better value.

16) San Francisco:DT Tommie Harris(Oklahoma)- 49ers have many needs, especially WR, but Harris is a value pick and they can get good value at WR in 2nd round. Harris gives them versatility on the DL as he can play outside in the 4-3 in some situations.

17) Dallas(CIN/DEN/BUF): OL Shawn Andrews(Arkansas)-Cowboys need to address concerns on the OL and a few teams between this pick and their original pick at #22 need OL help. Cowboys need at RB will continue to just that, a need. However, owner Jerry Jones remembers the days of the road-grating OLs that paved the way for some guy named Emmitt. Andrews is also a grad of Jones' alma mater BUF sends 1,17 to DAL for 1,22 & 3,83

18) New Orleans:WR Reggie Williams(Washington)- Saints did not expect Reggie to fall this far and in past years, he wouldn't have. Stallworth's progress has been inconsistent and they may be tiring of Horn's antics, even with the new celebration rules in place. Could go with CB Robinson, but Reggie is better value.

19) Houston(MIN):CB Dunta Robinson(So. Carolina)-After sending thank you card to Saints FO, Texans grab Robinson to address needs at CB. This allows them to also move Marcus Coleman to safety as his play at CB has slipped. but he can still contribute inside. DL is also a concern, but yet another value pick here

20) Green Bay(MIA):DL Darnell Dockett(Florida St)-Packers will still continue to negotiate with the Browns to acquire Tim Couch to replace Farve one day, thus Losman not a consideration here. They must address needs on the DL and adding the versatile Dockett allows them to dump FA bust Joe Johnson after June 1st. Traded up due to concerns that other teams had pegged him as well. MIA sends 1,20 and 7,221 to GB for 1,25 and 3,86

21) New England(BAL):LB Teddy Lehman(Oklahoma)-Bellichik's ideal LB-intense, intelligent, talented, leadership. Perfect fit for the Pats. His stock has been rising and with the Dillon trade, RB is no longer an immediate need. This is also a pick for the future due to some age, cap, and injury concerns at LB

22) Buffalo(DAL):WR Michael Jenkins(Ohio St)-Bills have needs at WR, DL, future at QB, TE, and depth on the OL and secondary. Bills wisely moved down to add valuable picks in a deep draft. Jenkins answers the need for a true #2 WR that could, in time, become the #1 option as Moulds will be 31 with rather large cap numbers. Reed and Shaw battle for the #3 which both are ideal for. Addtional picks give GM Donahoe flexibility move up in rd 2 NOTE: I also predicted this in the ZB prediction thread, so I must be consistent!!

23) Seattle:LB Jonathan Vilma(Miami,FL)-Fills a need to a tee. Adds speed, intensity, and toughness to the defense. Reject trade offers. Could consider adding someone on the OL for the future but Vilma better fills their needs.

24) Cincinnati(DEN):C Jake Grove(Virginia Tech)-Tough and instinctive and fills the Bengals need for the future at center. Braham has been a warrior but is nearing the end of the line. Wanted to move down, but could find no takers. Could look at needs on defense if the right player falls to this pick.

25) Miami(GB):OL Vernon Carey(Miami,FL)-Miami has a critical need on the OL. Tore apart their OL from 2003 season due to cap considerations and age concerns. Carey offers a realisitic chance as a starter and could slide into the LG spot and allow FA addition to be the starter at the RG spot. Miami could consider adding another WR but Carey is value pick as well as filling need.

26) St. Louis:DE Antwan Odom(Alabama)-Always a chance for the egotistical Mike Martz to continue to think he's smarter than everyone else, but common sense wins out over stupidity. Martz considers Losman but realizes that he could move up in rd 2 if he really wants him. Odom will be part of the mix at LDE replacing Leonard Little who now replaces the FA loss of Grant Wistrom. Rams could also look at a young WR.

27) Tennessee:RB Kevin Jones(Virginia Tech)-This selection means the end of the Eddie George era with the team. Titans have MAJOR cap problems after the season and must start replacing aging veterans with younger, cheaper players. No confidence in Chris Brown to be the future. Jones' falls further than expected. Titans could also go DL but feel value wins out here

28) Philadelphia:DT Marcus Tubbs(Texas)- No trading partners and Eagles make first true reach of round 1. Tubbs makes sense in rd 2, but he would be gone by the time Eagles select late in rd 2. There are higher rated players available but not at need positions. Eagles do have a need for a big interior DT and could lose Corey Simon to FA after the season

29) Indianapolis:LB Karlos Dansby(Auburn)-Colts have lost some good LB's in recent years due to FA. They must address this position with multiple selections. Dansby is an active playmaker that will be looked at first on the weakside. Colts will also consider other needs on defense if Dansby not available

30) Kansas City:WR Lee Evans(Wisconsin)-Chiefs need to add speed and youth to the WR corps as both starters are over 30. They have needs on defense, but Evans is solid value here. Could consider defense.

31) Carolina:TE Ben Troupe(Florida)-Have much more pressing needs on the OL and in the secondary. Can also use some help at WR, but cannot pass up value in Troupe who also fills a need for an all-around TE. He's a weapon that can take off pressure from the running game or WRs. Delhomme will enjoy his addition.

32) New England:OL Chris Snee(Boston College)-Bit of a reach, but a solid interior OL prospect in the mold the Pats prefer. Local BC product, so it's likely that Pats' scouts have seen him in action many times. Pats' do not pick again until late 2nd rd, but they've done a solid job adding players for their system and he does fill a need for depth on the OL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bills' GM Tom Donahoe has not been predictable as the 2003 draft will show. I do not believe that he will be any different this season. However, the exclusion of WR Mike Williams and RB Maurice Clarett alters many draft boards and will leave the Bills' #13 slot unlikely to result in one of the top players being available. I foresee TD moving down and adding a few picks in this deep draft. My full Bills' mock:

See above for 1st rd trades by Bills.

Bills send 2,43 and 3,85 to SD for 2,35 and 7,204

Bills send 3,74 and 3,83 to Balt for 2,51 and 6, 187

1,22-WR Michael Jenkins(Ohio St)
2,35-FS Sean Jones(Georgia)
2,51-QB Matt Schaub(Virginia)
4,109-DE Darrion Scott(Ohio St)
5,144-TE Sean Ryan(Boston College)
6,187-C Scott Wells(Tennessee)
7,204-FB Luke Lawton(McNeese St)
7,207-CB Marvin Jackson(Chadron St)
7,214-DT Mondre Dickerson(Tennessee)

Fire Away!!! Time to get ready for the draft party :anvil:

casdhf
04-24-2004, 09:28 AM
I'd love to see that. Other than Carey over the WR.

DraftBoy
04-24-2004, 09:40 AM
I dont know how good Jenkins is, I have my doubt about him and why is everyone so enamored with Matt Schaub hes horrible!

The Spaz
04-24-2004, 09:42 AM
I would take Carey, Evans and Grove over Jenkins.

The Spaz
04-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
I dont know how good Jenkins is, I have my doubt about him and why is everyone so enamored with Matt Schaub hes horrible!

His stats sure don't indicate though.

JefftheBillsfan
04-24-2004, 10:10 AM
matt shaub will develop into a solid starter someday IMO. i do think that maybe he could be had at a later point though, early 3rd/late 2nd

clumping platelets
04-24-2004, 06:14 PM
I started off OK then all went to shee-it

helmetguy
04-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets

Awww, buck up ;ittle camper! Who really could know for sure?

helmetguy
04-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets

Awww, buck up little camper! Who really could know for sure?