PDA

View Full Version : US World Championship Team GM calls out no-show US players

Ð
04-24-2004, 05:57 PM
"We still have problems getting players and the Canadians don't and that is disappointing," says Pleau, whose real life job is general manager of the St. Louis Blues. "There is no pressure on them to play. They don't have to answer to the media and friends and family about not representing your country.

"Up in Canada, players like to go to the worlds. Americans don't."

The thing is the United States actually has something to play for in the Czech Republic. The 2004 world tournament serves as a qualifying event for the 2006 Olympics and the top eight finishers get automatic invites to the Winter Games in Turin, Italy.

The United States, the silver medalist at the 2002 Games in Salt Lake City, goes into the world tournament seeded seventh and while no one expects the Americans to fumble to ninth, no one thought they would lose 5-2 to Denmark at the 2003 worlds either.

"There is something to play for," says Pleau.

Story (http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2004/04/211726.html)

Ð
04-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Yikes! He's not kidding...

Look at all the players that played on the 2002 US Olympic Team that could be over there right now that aren't;

[list=1]
Deadmarsh (Canadian, really :D)
Guerin
Poti
Modano
Rolston
Tkachuk
Weight
York
Young
Rafalski
[/list=1]

I didn't even count the goalies...

If the US gets bounced from the next Olympics because they didn't field a competitive team since 2002, these are the guys wearing the goat horns.

SABuffalo786
04-24-2004, 07:29 PM
We should care because....?

Save for Drury, the USA has a bunch of douchebags on the team. Sorry, I just have a problem supporting a team with Roenick and Hull on it.

You Canucks may love your National hockey teams, but for me at least, it's club before country EVERY time.

SABuffalo786
04-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, in the interest of Buffalo, Chris got a goal, and Vanek got 4 assists against the French(not like it's all that hard, though :D).

Ð
04-25-2004, 06:27 AM
Dude, all 10 of those players teams are out of the playoffs, on the golf course instead of playing for their country.

That's Pleau's point.

hurls
04-25-2004, 09:07 AM
I'd rather be golfing than working in Europe. I see the no-shows point. Half of these players will NOT be on the Olympic team, so what do they care. The players whose teams are still in the playoffs would fill the Olympic roster, so the others aren't gonna risk injury, just to insure another player of an Olympic roster spot. So I say F them, as in FFFFFORE!!!!!!!!

Ð
04-25-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm just curious why players from other countries don't think that way ?