PDA

View Full Version : Clayton on the Losman trade

Mr. Cynical
04-24-2004, 11:58 PM
"The Buffalo Bills, meanwhile, are sending mixed vibes. The Lee Evans selection at the 13th pick was a great one. They balanced the value of the defensive linemen available in the first and second rounds versus the receivers of the top two rounds and grabbed a No. 2 receiver to go with Eric Moulds. But the J.P. Losman move was baffling.

Losman might have not gone in the first round. Giving away a first-rounder next year along with three other choices was too much. Sure, that's an aggressive mentality, but those moves are only setting the stage for replacing players at already good positions. Willis McGahee was taken last year to eventually knock out Travis Henry. Losman may knock out Drew Bledsoe after this year.

Are the Bills a contender this year or are they looking toward next year? General manager Tom Donahue has done such a great job of bringing athletes to the defense that the Bills should be a fringe playoff team this year. In 2005, they may be going with Losman over Bledsoe. But will they actually be any better?

Saturday's draft was a swap meet. Some of the benefactors were the one-time have nots -- Detroit, Cincinnati and Jacksonville. On the other side, it's hard to figure out where teams such as the Cowboys and Bills are heading."

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1789288)

Tatonka
04-25-2004, 12:01 AM
well.. clayton is a ****ing idiot.. on most subject.. i will take a former nfl qbs take on losman (salsberry said he is the top qb) over a 5'0" toolbox that never played.

he also needs to read what he writes.. he said "Giving away a first-rounder next year along with three other choices was too much"

which is wrong.. we traded next years first to get it this year.. and gave up a 2nd and 5th for the right to do that.

Ingtar33
04-25-2004, 12:06 AM
heh, calm down there.

I don't think they overpaid, I actually think the Cowboys screwed themselves over with that trade (Jones from ND will be a horrible NFL back). Clayton's an idiot if he thinks the Pack wasn't going to grab Losman.

That said, while i love the concept, and even what we gave up was alright, im not a fan of the guy we got.

DraftBoy
04-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Understandable at least your not moaning and groaining and willing to let the kid play.

Ingtar33
04-25-2004, 12:20 AM
well, even I can admit that while i think he's an *******, he's got more talent in his little finger than most QBs get in their whole body.

Some of the throws he makes leave your jaw hanging... there was one pass he completed, where the ball must have traveled 50 yards in the air, hitting his WR in stride, and i swear to god, he never stopped his backpedal, heck his feet weren't even on the ground when he threw the pass, with two D-lineman in his face.

That was impressive.

As i said before, he's got a golden arm, im just too much a fan of fundamentals and character to be a fan of this guy.

Ingtar33
04-25-2004, 12:23 AM
and yes... i find it amazingly amusing that my favorite player of all time, Jim Kelly was the cockiest SOB to ever walk the planet and im skewering JPL for the same thing.

Perhaps in a few years ill be his biggest fan. Who knows?

Dozerdog
04-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
"The Buffalo Bills, meanwhile, are sending mixed vibes. The Lee Evans selection at the 13th pick was a great one. They balanced the value of the defensive linemen available in the first and second rounds versus the receivers of the top two rounds and grabbed a No. 2 receiver to go with Eric Moulds. But the J.P. Losman move was baffling.

Losman might have not gone in the first round. Giving away a first-rounder next year along with three other choices was too much. Sure, that's an aggressive mentality, but those moves are only setting the stage for replacing players at already good positions. Willis McGahee was taken last year to eventually knock out Travis Henry. Losman may knock out Drew Bledsoe after this year.

Are the Bills a contender this year or are they looking toward next year? General manager Tom Donahue has done such a great job of bringing athletes to the defense that the Bills should be a fringe playoff team this year. In 2005, they may be going with Losman over Bledsoe. But will they actually be any better?

Saturday's draft was a swap meet. Some of the benefactors were the one-time have nots -- Detroit, Cincinnati and Jacksonville. On the other side, it's hard to figure out where teams such as the Cowboys and Bills are heading."

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1789288)

As I stated earlier- Ya piss and moan about wanting to cut Bledsoe outright without a replacement - annd when the Bills bend over backwards to grab one ya grab the crying towels?

Please be consistent!

"Bledsoe sucks! he always sucked Get him out!"

"I can't Beleive they Got a replacement for Bledsoe! What were they thinking!"

Tatonka
04-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
and yes... i find it amazingly amusing that my favorite player of all time, Jim Kelly was the cockiest SOB to ever walk the planet and im skewering JPL for the same thing.

Perhaps in a few years ill be his biggest fan. Who knows?

ing.. do you trust TD and TM's ability to assess a players personality? has TD ever failed a team in that regard?

Tatonka
04-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
As I stated earlier- Ya piss and moan about wanting to cut Bledsoe outright without a replacement - annd when the Bills bend over backwards to grab one ya grab the crying towels?

Please be consistent!

"Bledsoe sucks! he always sucked Get him out!"

"I can't Beleive they Got a replacement for Bledsoe! What were they thinking!"

they didnt get the EXACT replacement he wanted.. if it wasnt big ben or rivers.. he was going to piss and moan.

Ingtar33
04-25-2004, 12:40 AM
oh i trust them, heck, some of the rabbits they pull out of their hats...

I mean heck, they yanked Henry out from under my own nose, and i never thought he'd be worth a damn.

But there is one place where i trust my skill above and beyond most folks... and that’s with QBs. I've only one first round "rated" QB on my resume who turned out a dud (though I’m hoping he corrects this flaw)... McCown of Arazona. And precious few who i rated 4 or 5 round material (or lower) who turned out great (read: none).

Losman rated out as a 2nd rounder with me. Its not like i thought he sucked. I just didn't think he had franchise written upon him (a designation i gave only to Big Ben). In Reality, i rated him Eli and Rivers so close to each other you could have flipped a coin in picking who was better.

juice
04-25-2004, 12:50 AM
oh i trust them, heck, some of the rabbits they pull out of their hats...

I mean heck, they yanked Henry out from under my own nose, and i never thought he'd be worth a damn.

But there is one place where i trust my skill above and beyond most folks... and that’s with QBs. I've only one first round "rated" QB on my resume who turned out a dud (though I’m hoping he corrects this flaw)... McCown of Arazona. And precious few who i rated 4 or 5 round material (or lower) who turned out great (read: none).

Losman rated out as a 2nd rounder with me. Its not like i thought he sucked. I just didn't think he had franchise written upon him (a designation i gave only to Big Ben). In Reality, i rated him Eli and Rivers so close to each other you could have flipped a coin in picking who was better.

Henry broke alot of Fla. HS rushing records.. those that The Edge didn't put out of reach, I know thats HS but that is the State of Fla. Was it his lack of speed?

Ingtar33
04-25-2004, 12:53 AM
since it doesn't mater anymore...

the scouting cards are out of 8.0 (the best)

a player with a 7.0 or more, is worth a 1st or 2nd rounder.

a player with a 7.5 or more is a franchise player.

Ben Roethlisberger 7.8
Eli Manning 7.4
Philip Rivers 7.2
JP Losman 7.3

there were my official QB scouting grades. Hope it makes some of you feal better about what did or didn't happen.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

they didnt get the EXACT replacement he wanted.. if it wasnt big ben or rivers.. he was going to piss and moan.

Pretty much, yep. Those are the only two (other than Eli) that IMO are the most likely to be franchise QBs.

So dozer I'm being consistent.

1. I want Blew cut. Too much money.

2. I want a vet like Kordell to take the reigns this year at a cheap prices.

3. I want a franchise QB drafted for the future.

It's only #3 now that I feel is out of reach, but hey I could be surprised. I hope so or it going to be another 2 years of pain before we have another shot at the draft.

Ingtar33
04-25-2004, 12:55 AM
Speed, Size... The fact he was only starter one year.

Those records were E. Smith's.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 12:57 AM
I just didn't think he had franchise written upon him (a designation i gave only to Big Ben). In Reality, i rated him Eli and Rivers so close to each other you could have flipped a coin in picking who was better.

This is how I felt as well, leveraging all the reviews I read.