PDA

View Full Version : How Buffalo could have better managed this draft

Throne Logic
04-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Again, I'm not judging the talent they chose. I'm annoyed with what they gave up to get that talent. I feel it could have been managed much muchbetter.

For Example, here's what I would have done:

Trade the #13 to move down to the low 20's and pick up more picks. Let's assume we get only a 2005 #2 as part of that package (This is borderline rediculous because a 2005 #1 plus a pick or two this year's draft was the going rate for teams to move up).

Draft Losman with that new low 20's pick, like they did anyway.

Draft Grove with the first #2 pick.

Draft Tim Anderson with the #3 pick.

Use the 2005 #1 to draft Mike Williams in the supplimental draft.

This gets us pretty much the same results, with an upgrade at WR (Mike Williams over Evans). Plus we'd have another pick this year and another pick in next year's second round.

Tell me what team would have turned down this trade?

In reality, we could have probably gotten at least a 2005 #1 pick for compensation from another team to move up 8-10 spots to the #13 overall this year.

Ingtar33
04-25-2004, 01:36 AM
its a weighted pool, the suplimental draft.

Chances are, he's going to the chargers anyway.

Throne Logic
04-25-2004, 01:39 AM
Then we still have the #1 pick next year.

I never thought that WR was our #1 priority this year anyway.

BuffaloRanger
04-25-2004, 01:48 AM
I would have loved Grove. TD seems to think it's OK having a QB sacked 50 times a season. After the first 50 sack seaon in 2002, he improved the line with a 6th round pick - a soft, 6 year college back-up. This season the Bills basically swapped Guards with Chicago and...probably won't draft a lineman until the 7th round.

TD is far from a genius. Just because ESPN, where he used to work, likes to describe him as "one of the best GMs in football" doesn't mean that he is. It means he gives insider information to his writer buddies.

Throne Logic
04-25-2004, 01:56 AM
Well, I'm doing my best to give TD and company the benefit of the doubt with the O-Line. If McNally says he can fix what they've got, then who am I to argue that until he's had his shot at it.

I don't think TD made poor selections in Evans and Losman. Ingtar33 likes Anderson at DT, so I'll defer to his judgement on that pick as I don't know Anderson at all.

This trade wasn't horrible, like what the Giants gave up and what ever that mess was with the #6 and #7 pick swapping. As Tatonka pointed out elsewhere, we basically payed this years #2 & #5 for the right to make next year's #1 pick in this draft. That's not too bad.

It just feels like TD paniced a little bit and picked Evans without actually working out all the options as well as he could have.

Throne Logic
04-25-2004, 01:57 AM
BTW, I would have liked Grove, regardless of whatever leeway I'm giving TD and McNally. . .

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 03:18 AM
I felt they should have done whatever it would have taken to get Ben or Rivers. I mean whatever. No gurantees but those guys would have given us the best chance to build a good team again. My fear is that teh QB Carousel of Crap is going to continue to spin for years to come. :mad: