The Bills did try to trade up for Big Ben.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nolimit
    Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
    • Aug 2003

The Bills did try to trade up for Big Ben.

The Texans werent entertaining. They were asking for an extraordinary amount, way more than what we gave up for losman. The reason being because they wanted dunta robinson and if they traded with us we would have taken Ben and the Jets or Steelers would have taken Dunta before them. So lets give credit where credit is due. TD did everything he could and I believe it worked out for the best anyways.

Also they rated Big Ben higher than Rivers.
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Where did you hear this ?

....and I can't say that I'm completelysuprised. I think QB was the top of TDs board in this draft.

They went Lee Evans at 13th because they were probably thinking WR in the 2nd. The trade for Losman prevented that action.

Comment

• nolimit
      • Aug 2003

Its in Mark Gaughans column in the Buffalo News. TD deserves alot of credit. He tried and got shut down. But he wasnt leaving until he got his franchise future QB!

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by nolimit
        Its in Mark Gaughans column in the Buffalo News. TD deserves alot of credit. He tried and got shut down. But he wasnt leaving until he got his franchise future QB!

Thanks.

I think the Bills did all they could to get Rothelisberger, it just wasn't in the cards for them. While San Diego was on the clock I was praying that they decided to go for Fitzgerald or Gallery instead of a QB. That instantly would have shifted everything our way.

I can live with Losman, it's just the price they had to pay to reach him that suprises me. The first round pick next year was just way to high. They openly admit to over paying, but their choices were limited at that point.

Comment

• nolimit
          • Aug 2003

Losman in next years draft would have been one of thee highest rated qbs. Fact is next years draft sucks, or atleast that what I heard especially for QBS!

Comment

• Alluro
            You Don't Stand a Chance !
            • Jul 2002

I'm glad we didn't get ben...the guy reminds me too much of bledsoe. At least JP can move around in the pocket. Losman had a stronger arm than ben too

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
              Exhausted of Losing
              • Mar 2004

The Texans really liked Dunta Robinson and wanted a lot for a chance of losing him.

Comment

• StanMarino13
                • Jul 2003

What about Jacksonville?? Couldnt u guys have moved up to there spot? I thought Reggie was a bit of a reach at the 9 spot, and they probably would have been able to draft him at ur spot while u guys drafted Ben.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by StanMarino13
                  What about Jacksonville?? Couldnt u guys have moved up to there spot? I thought Reggie was a bit of a reach at the 9 spot, and they probably would have been able to draft him at ur spot while u guys drafted Ben.

It's hard to speculate what transpired behind the scenes. I think the Bills did what they could to move ahead of Pittsburgh.

Comment

• Hamilton Billsfan

If someone trades away a first round pick, then one would expect to get a first round pick back. In effect you are using next years pick this year to get a player you covet and the price tag to do all this is a 2nd and a 5th. After thinking about it overnight, I don't think we overpaid.it was more like the going rate.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

Re: The Bills did try to trade up for Big Ben.

Originally posted by nolimit
                      The Texans werent entertaining. They were asking for an extraordinary amount, way more than what we gave up for losman. The reason being because they wanted dunta robinson and if they traded with us we would have taken Ben and the Jets or Steelers would have taken Dunta before them. So lets give credit where credit is due. TD did everything he could and I believe it worked out for the best anyways.

Also they rated Big Ben higher than Rivers.
                      This seems contradictory. On one hand he says they were asking for an extraordinary amount, on the other he says he tried and got shut down? The way I'm reading that is that TD wasn't willing to make the trade for the price they wanted. In that case I'm not going to give TD the credit, since he should have grabbed Ben at pretty much any cost. You can see what happens when a team is serious about getting a franchise QB, e.g., the Giants. And there's no way the Texans could even come close to asking the same price, so the way I see it TD screwed up.

Comment

• cordog
                        eat, drink, and be merry
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                        This seems contradictory. On one hand he says they were asking for an extraordinary amount, on the other he says he tried and got shut down? The way I'm reading that is that TD wasn't willing to make the trade for the price they wanted. In that case I'm not going to give TD the credit, since he should have grabbed Ben at pretty much any cost. You can see what happens when a team is serious about getting a franchise QB, e.g., the Giants. And there's no way the Texans could even come close to asking the same price, so the way I see it TD couldn't pull it off.
                        so then we couldnt have gotten Evans

Comment

• BFL0BLZ
                          • Feb 2004

Re: Re: The Bills did try to trade up for Big Ben.

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

This seems contradictory. On one hand he says they were asking for an extraordinary amount, on the other he says he tried and got shut down? The way I'm reading that is that TD wasn't willing to make the trade for the price they wanted. In that case I'm not going to give TD the credit, since he should have grabbed Ben at pretty much any cost. You can see what happens when a team is serious about getting a franchise QB, e.g., the Giants. And there's no way the Texans could even come close to asking the same price, so the way I see it TD screwed up.

And thats why your name is Mr Cynical

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by cordog
                            so then we couldnt have gotten Evans
                            Fine....I'd take Ben over Evans + Losman everytime.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                              Maybe?
                              • Oct 2003

Re: Re: Re: The Bills did try to trade up for Big Ben.

Originally posted by BFL0BLZ

And thats why your name is Mr Cynical

Spaz already said this...it's old now.

Comment

Working...
                              X