PDA

View Full Version : The Bills did try to trade up for Big Ben.

nolimit
04-25-2004, 07:56 AM
The Texans werent entertaining. They were asking for an extraordinary amount, way more than what we gave up for losman. The reason being because they wanted dunta robinson and if they traded with us we would have taken Ben and the Jets or Steelers would have taken Dunta before them. So lets give credit where credit is due. TD did everything he could and I believe it worked out for the best anyways.

Also they rated Big Ben higher than Rivers.

RedEyE
04-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Where did you hear this ?

....and I can't say that I'm completelysuprised. I think QB was the top of TDs board in this draft.

They went Lee Evans at 13th because they were probably thinking WR in the 2nd. The trade for Losman prevented that action.

nolimit
04-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Its in Mark Gaughans column in the Buffalo News. TD deserves alot of credit. He tried and got shut down. But he wasnt leaving until he got his franchise future QB!

RedEyE
04-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by nolimit
Its in Mark Gaughans column in the Buffalo News. TD deserves alot of credit. He tried and got shut down. But he wasnt leaving until he got his franchise future QB!

Thanks.

I think the Bills did all they could to get Rothelisberger, it just wasn't in the cards for them. While San Diego was on the clock I was praying that they decided to go for Fitzgerald or Gallery instead of a QB. That instantly would have shifted everything our way.

I can live with Losman, it's just the price they had to pay to reach him that suprises me. The first round pick next year was just way to high. They openly admit to over paying, but their choices were limited at that point.

nolimit
04-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Losman in next years draft would have been one of thee highest rated qbs. Fact is next years draft sucks, or atleast that what I heard especially for QBS!

Alluro
04-25-2004, 08:41 AM
I'm glad we didn't get ben...the guy reminds me too much of bledsoe. At least JP can move around in the pocket. Losman had a stronger arm than ben too

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-25-2004, 09:13 AM
The Texans really liked Dunta Robinson and wanted a lot for a chance of losing him.

StanMarino13
04-25-2004, 09:23 AM
What about Jacksonville?? Couldnt u guys have moved up to there spot? I thought Reggie was a bit of a reach at the 9 spot, and they probably would have been able to draft him at ur spot while u guys drafted Ben.

RedEyE
04-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by StanMarino13
What about Jacksonville?? Couldnt u guys have moved up to there spot? I thought Reggie was a bit of a reach at the 9 spot, and they probably would have been able to draft him at ur spot while u guys drafted Ben.

It's hard to speculate what transpired behind the scenes. I think the Bills did what they could to move ahead of Pittsburgh.

Hamilton Billsfan
04-25-2004, 09:41 AM
If someone trades away a first round pick, then one would expect to get a first round pick back. In effect you are using next years pick this year to get a player you covet and the price tag to do all this is a 2nd and a 5th. After thinking about it overnight, I don't think we overpaid.it was more like the going rate.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by nolimit
The Texans werent entertaining. They were asking for an extraordinary amount, way more than what we gave up for losman. The reason being because they wanted dunta robinson and if they traded with us we would have taken Ben and the Jets or Steelers would have taken Dunta before them. So lets give credit where credit is due. TD did everything he could and I believe it worked out for the best anyways.

Also they rated Big Ben higher than Rivers.

This seems contradictory. On one hand he says they were asking for an extraordinary amount, on the other he says he tried and got shut down? The way I'm reading that is that TD wasn't willing to make the trade for the price they wanted. In that case I'm not going to give TD the credit, since he should have grabbed Ben at pretty much any cost. You can see what happens when a team is serious about getting a franchise QB, e.g., the Giants. And there's no way the Texans could even come close to asking the same price, so the way I see it TD screwed up.

cordog
04-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
This seems contradictory. On one hand he says they were asking for an extraordinary amount, on the other he says he tried and got shut down? The way I'm reading that is that TD wasn't willing to make the trade for the price they wanted. In that case I'm not going to give TD the credit, since he should have grabbed Ben at pretty much any cost. You can see what happens when a team is serious about getting a franchise QB, e.g., the Giants. And there's no way the Texans could even come close to asking the same price, so the way I see it TD couldn't pull it off.

so then we couldnt have gotten Evans

BFL0BLZ
04-25-2004, 10:53 AM

This seems contradictory. On one hand he says they were asking for an extraordinary amount, on the other he says he tried and got shut down? The way I'm reading that is that TD wasn't willing to make the trade for the price they wanted. In that case I'm not going to give TD the credit, since he should have grabbed Ben at pretty much any cost. You can see what happens when a team is serious about getting a franchise QB, e.g., the Giants. And there's no way the Texans could even come close to asking the same price, so the way I see it TD screwed up.

And thats why your name is Mr Cynical

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by cordog
so then we couldnt have gotten Evans

Fine....I'd take Ben over Evans + Losman everytime.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by BFL0BLZ

And thats why your name is Mr Cynical

:lastyr:

Spaz already said this...it's old now. :up:

cordog
okay but we would have given up alot to get him. We probably would have given up a 1st next year either way.

The_Philster

:eek: :yikes:

It's the end of the world!!! I agree with you.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by cordog

okay but we would have given up alot to get him. We probably would have given up a 1st next year either way.

Agreed - but then we'd have Ben right now instead of JP as our future QB. I don't know of too many people who would rather have JP than Ben to build their team around.

cordog
04-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Agreed - but then we'd have Ben right now instead of JP as our future QB. I don't know of too many people who would rather have JP than Ben to build their team around.

I would rather have a future #1 WR and Losman than just Ben

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

:eek: :yikes:

It's the end of the world!!! I agree with you.

:tongue:

;)

Not the end of the world, but definitely the end of my hopes for the rebuilding process to start in earnest. IMO we just lost another 2-3 years.

Mark this post - I'll bet you all my zbs from now until the end of '05 season that Ben turns out to be a better QB than Losman. I hope I'm wrong - screw the zbs, I'd rather have a winning team - but I just feel we lost our chance after waiting 7 years since Kelly left.

Bert102176
04-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm happy and content with Evans and Losman would have liked Ben but oh well it's over now we got who we got, live with it

Alluro
04-25-2004, 11:11 AM

What does ben have that JP doesn't have?

stronger arm? no

more mobility? hell no

quicker release? hell, hell no

more confidence? not even close

...Donahoe may have very well walked away with the best qb in the draft, and gotten a receiver that i've seen some compare to marvin harrison. Give these guys a chance

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I'm happy and content with Evans and Losman would have liked Ben but oh well it's over now we got who we got, live with it

You're right....nothing to do but wallow in a keg of Bud for the next few days and get it out of my system.

:drinker:

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Alluro

What does ben have that JP doesn't have?

stronger arm? no

more mobility? hell no

quicker release? hell, hell no

more confidence? not even close

...Donahoe may have very well walked away with the best qb in the draft, and gotten a receiver that i've seen some compare to marvin harrison. Give these guys a chance

The first two abilities you listed are near the bottom of how I rate a QB:

1. Great leadership/quick decision maker
2. Accuracy
3. Quick release
4. Mobility
5. Arm strength
6. Size

Hey, if TD got a "steal" for our #2, #5, and a #1, then that'd be great. To be honest, if JP turns out to truly be a franchise QB for many years, I'd consider it dirt cheap. I was willing to give up alot more than that for Ben, since we cannot continue ths QB Carousel of Crap anymore. 7 years is long enough.

The_Philster
04-25-2004, 11:28 AM
You're right....nothing to do but wallow in a keg of Bud for the next few days and get it out of my system.

:drinker:

:puke: Bud...get a real :beer: and maybe you'll be in a better mood. ;)

doug45
04-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Alluro
I'm glad we didn't get ben...the guy reminds me too much of bledsoe. At least JP can move around in the pocket. Losman had a stronger arm than ben too

I wish we would have done whatever to get Ben. Losman reminds me of RJ, another kid from CA. with an attitude. we gave up a lot to get him, so a little more for a much better player would have been a netter deal by far.

B-DON
04-25-2004, 12:59 PM
How do you know he is better when the have never taken a snap in the NFL. You mean to tell me that akilli smith was a top 2 or 3 qb in his draft and im sure there were undrafted free agents that year that stayed around longer if not way longer than akili did.