PDA

View Full Version : Draft grades (so far)

Michael82
04-25-2004, 11:08 AM
The Bills got some solid players for the future and some that should help this year....

WR Lee Evans
QB JP Losman
DT Tim Anderson
TE Tim Euhus
(NO 5th rounder)
(NO 6th rounder)
and 2 7ths still to go (most likely training camp fodder)

I think we did okay so far, but we didn't help our OL at all. Nat Dorsey was still there and would have been a good pick. Mike Karney was there and would have been a GREAT FB for the Bills. I don't mind Tim Euhus, but I would've preferred somebody like Jason Peters or Ben Utecht. I don't know...is it just me or does this draft show that Donahoe feels we are set and we just needed a speedy receiver and some help for the future? NO offensive line picks at all. I'm not sure about this draft. As of right now, I have it as a C+ or B-, depending on JP Losman's trade and how it works out.

What about you guys? :feedback:

Michael82
04-25-2004, 11:10 AM
BTW...anyone else surprised that DT Chad Lavalais is still there? :D

cordog
04-25-2004, 11:13 AM
You cant grade a draft for 3 years anyway. Draft grades the day after the draft mean S***

Michael82
04-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by cordog
You cant grade a draft for 3 years anyway. Draft grades the day after the draft mean S***

I know...I'm just bored. :boring:

BigZ
04-25-2004, 11:19 AM
This draft will definitely show what Mondrak and Donahue are made of. They've departed from consensus sportswriter wisdom and selected who they feel are better than what others feel are the best available at a particular position. They will either be looked at as geniuses or goats. Hopefully the former not the latter.

The Spaz
04-25-2004, 11:22 AM
I say b to b+:up::beers:

EDS
04-25-2004, 11:29 AM
I say a solid B for the draft so far, but with potential to go up or down based on Loseman.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
The Bills got some solid players for the future and some that should help this year....

WR Lee Evans
QB JP Losman
DT Tim Anderson
TE Tim Euhus
(NO 5th rounder)
(NO 6th rounder)
and 2 7ths still to go (most likely training camp fodder)

I think we did okay so far, but we didn't help our OL at all. Nat Dorsey was still there and would have been a good pick. Mike Karney was there and would have been a GREAT FB for the Bills. I don't mind Tim Euhus, but I would've preferred somebody like Jason Peters or Ben Utecht. I don't know...is it just me or does this draft show that Donahoe feels we are set and we just needed a speedy receiver and some help for the future? NO offensive line picks at all. I'm not sure about this draft. As of right now, I have it as a C+ or B-, depending on JP Losman's trade and how it works out.

What about you guys? :feedback:

WR Lee Evans: As a #13 pick, C-; as a player, B;
QB JP Losman: As a trade, D; as a player, TBD
DT Tim Anderson: B+, good pick for Rd 3
TE Tim Euhus: :z:, C, better needs in Rd 4, especially since we lost #5 and don't have a 6
(NO 5th rounder): * see JP Losman
(NO 6th rounder): N/A
and 2 7ths still to go (most likely training camp fodder): Agreed.

The_Philster
04-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
I know...I'm just bored. :boring:

I thought you were going to bed after we picked our 4th rounder.

EDS
04-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

WR Lee Evans: As a #13 pick, C-; as a player, B;
QB JP Losman: As a trade, D; as a player, TBD
DT Tim Anderson: B+, good pick for Rd 3
TE Tim Euhus: :z:
(NO 5th rounder): * see JP Losman
(NO 6th rounder): * see JP Losman
and 2 7ths still to go (most likely training camp fodder): Agreed.

Boy you are Mr. Cynical.

Michael82
04-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by EDS
Boy you are Mr. Cynical.

:lol:

doug45
04-25-2004, 12:54 PM
I would say B+ overall except losman would be a D-. had hey made the right moves and gotten Ben it would have been a A- overall. But we got what we got what can you do.:rolleyes:

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2004, 12:57 PM
I just think we better pick up some OL help with the 2 #7s. :shakeno:

Captain gameboy
04-25-2004, 01:00 PM
On a needs filled basis, a B.
On a value basis, a D.

But overall, I'm not displeased.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by doug45
I would say B+ overall except losman would be a D-. had hey made the right moves and gotten Ben it would have been a A- overall. But we got what we got what can you do.:rolleyes:

If they had gotten Ben, I would have rated it an A. IMO, the QB was the #1 need this year and has been for the last 7 years.

helmetguy
04-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Incomplete.

Bill Brasky
04-25-2004, 01:28 PM
I will say that I am concerned we have yet to address our OL issues with the exception of resigning guys like Sullivan and Tucker (who don't impress me at all) and then signing Villarrial. Hopefully we'll take somebody in the 7th... as far as what we've drafted so far -- at least Tom has been drafting to fill the gaps in other positions that needed help unlike he did last year by drafting Willis.

Philly Zoner
04-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by doug45

how can you rate Losman a D- and still give us a B+ overall? Did you mean B- for Losman?

HenryRules
04-25-2004, 02:37 PM
For an immediate reaction, I'd give us a C. We didn't do great, but we haven't done terrible either.

It's another risky draft though, second in 2 years, and that is something that I really like actually (IMO bold moves make winners, whereas safe moves get you 9-7 teams).

I'd still rather we worked the draft like the Pats have recently though - namely making a lot of moves and getting a ton of first-day picks as opposed to giving them away.

helmetguy
04-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Eventually, we may be able to work the draft like NE does. We'll have to see what this season brings by way of on field performance. In defense of TD (and GW to a lesser extent), recovering from the salcap legacy of the Late John Butler has been a monumental undertaking. Having filled a lot of spots through Free Agency, we've put experience on the field immediately. For whatever reasons (and they're as numerous as the posters on this board) we haven't been as competitive as we'd like to be. TD's hallmark has always been to draft and develop depth in anticipation of possible Free Agent losses. The transition has been painful at times (most notably 2003), but I'm just glad TD isn't given to knee-jerk decisions, a la Dan Snyder or Billy Bidwill.

Ebenezer
04-25-2004, 06:45 PM
call me in 2007