• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

This about sums it up

straight from ESPN.com

The Buffalo Bills, meanwhile, are sending mixed vibes. The Lee Evans selection at the 13th pick was a great one. They balanced the value of the defensive linemen available in the first and second rounds versus the receivers of the top two rounds and grabbed a No. 2 receiver to go with Eric Moulds. But the J.P. Losman move was baffling.

Losman might have not gone in the first round. Giving away a first-rounder next year along with three other choices was too much. Sure, that's an aggressive mentality, but those moves are only setting the stage for replacing players at already good positions. Willis McGahee was taken last year to eventually knock out Travis Henry. Losman may knock out Drew Bledsoe after this year.

Are the Bills a contender this year or are they looking toward next year? General manager Tom Donahue has done such a great job of bringing athletes to the defense that the Bills should be a fringe playoff team this year. In 2005, they may be going with Losman over Bledsoe. But will they actually be any better?

Saturday's draft was a swap meet. Some of the benefactors were the one-time have nots -- Detroit, Cincinnati and Jacksonville. On the other side, it's hard to figure out where teams such as the Cowboys and Bills are heading.

Great question: are we looking towards next year (2005) already? IMO, we gave up too many picks to get Losman.
  • mypoorfriendme
    • Apr 2003

for what it means, the QB class next year is looking pretty thin. TD knew he needed our future QB in this draft. i think we did go early, but TD, wyche and co. know their qb's. personally, i think we shld have gone with a deeper, bigger project like smoker or clausen
    the dude abides

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

I posted this yesterday.

Link

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
        for what it means, the QB class next year is looking pretty thin. TD knew he needed our future QB in this draft. i think we did go early, but TD, wyche and co. know their qb's. personally, i think we shld have gone with a deeper, bigger project like smoker or clausen
        I agree with you. I think we jumped the gun here. Giving up 3 picks, one of which is probalby going to be a high first rounder next year, for a QB that late in the first round THIS YEAR was ******ed.

Cynical -- sorry, I have been MIA the last few days and wasn't going to read through the 9091808923 posts.

Comment

• Voltron
          • Jul 2002

Re: This about sums it up

Originally posted by jfreeman

Great question: are we looking towards next year (2005) already? IMO, we gave up too many picks to get Losman.
          I don't think so. In the buisness of sports you ALWAYS want to look 3 to 4 years into the future. How many times has Washington now tried to buy there way to a super bowl and pass out draft picks for players? They end up at the same place every year. A bunch of old has beens and no youth for these old players to teach. It is a huge waste and Snyder is just now starting to see it. I think we gave up too much BUT we have to take into consideration that we may have a chance to get a first rounder for henry next year if WM works out this year. And we also have to worry about the fact that Drew will be owed a lot of money if we keep him past this year.
          Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
          - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
          -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
          - Mark Twain

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

again.. just like yesterday.. this article is incorrect.. first off.. losman was NOT going to be there in the 2nd round. the packers were going to select him.

also, we did NOT give up 4 picks.. like that idiot clayton stated..

we traded next years first rounder for a 1st rounder this year.. and gave up a 2nd and a 5th to do so.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Billsouth
              • Jul 2002

i dont necessarily agree that the bills gave up too much. first, its not like we swaped 1sts this year. we swaped ours for next year for theirs this year. we also gave up a 2 and a 5.

cleveland gave detroit its 1 and 2 to move up 1 spot.

the giants gave their 1 this year and next year and a 3 and a 5 to move up 3 spots.

we moved up from the mid 40's to the mid 20s.

i do not think it was that big of a price for that pick.

my bigger concern is whether losman is a winner and not another rob johnson.
              "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Billsouth

i do not think it was that big of a price for that pick.

my bigger concern is whether losman is a winner and not another rob johnson.
                if he doesn't work out then it was a big price for that pick

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

if he doesn't work out then it was a big price for that pick
                  and if he is brett farve, then we paid next to nothing.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    again.. just like yesterday.. this article is incorrect.. first off.. losman was NOT going to be there in the 2nd round. the packers were going to select him.

also, we did NOT give up 4 picks.. like that idiot clayton stated..

we traded next years first rounder for a 1st rounder this year.. and gave up a 2nd and a 5th to do so.
                    OR the Rams....

Comment

• B-DON
                      hi
                      • Mar 2004

and if he is brett farve, then we paid next to nothing.
                      exactly

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

The draft is always a crap shoot, and there are no guarantees with ANY particular pick. I like our overall philosophy, however. We drafted to fix the offense.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

We're also going to end up with an extra pick next season.....hopefully. I don't see our two RB's being on the same team come 2005. Most likely, we'll end up trading Henry for an extra second round pick or maybe even a low first. This is all on the assumption that McGahee's healthy but we'll see.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

I agree with you. I think we jumped the gun here. Giving up 3 picks, one of which is probalby going to be a high first rounder next year, for a QB that late in the first round THIS YEAR was ******ed.

Cynical -- sorry, I have been MIA the last few days and wasn't going to read through the 9091808923 posts.
                              Lookm what Cleveland gave up to move 1 friggin' spot- a first and a second. Granted- that was stupid on their part- bu the price was set.

Comment

Working...
                              X