PDA

View Full Version : This about sums it up

Bill Brasky
04-25-2004, 11:58 AM
straight from ESPN.com

<I>
The Buffalo Bills, meanwhile, are sending mixed vibes. The Lee Evans selection at the 13th pick was a great one. They balanced the value of the defensive linemen available in the first and second rounds versus the receivers of the top two rounds and grabbed a No. 2 receiver to go with Eric Moulds. But the J.P. Losman move was baffling.

Losman might have not gone in the first round. Giving away a first-rounder next year along with three other choices was too much. Sure, that's an aggressive mentality, but those moves are only setting the stage for replacing players at already good positions. Willis McGahee was taken last year to eventually knock out Travis Henry. Losman may knock out Drew Bledsoe after this year.

Are the Bills a contender this year or are they looking toward next year? General manager Tom Donahue has done such a great job of bringing athletes to the defense that the Bills should be a fringe playoff team this year. In 2005, they may be going with Losman over Bledsoe. But will they actually be any better?

Saturday's draft was a swap meet. Some of the benefactors were the one-time have nots -- Detroit, Cincinnati and Jacksonville. On the other side, it's hard to figure out where teams such as the Cowboys and Bills are heading.

</I>

Great question: are we looking towards next year (2005) already? IMO, we gave up too many picks to get Losman.

mypoorfriendme
04-25-2004, 12:01 PM
for what it means, the QB class next year is looking pretty thin. TD knew he needed our future QB in this draft. i think we did go early, but TD, wyche and co. know their qb's. personally, i think we shld have gone with a deeper, bigger project like smoker or clausen

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I posted this yesterday. ;)

Link (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44309)

Bill Brasky
04-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
for what it means, the QB class next year is looking pretty thin. TD knew he needed our future QB in this draft. i think we did go early, but TD, wyche and co. know their qb's. personally, i think we shld have gone with a deeper, bigger project like smoker or clausen

I agree with you. I think we jumped the gun here. Giving up 3 picks, one of which is probalby going to be a high first rounder next year, for a QB that late in the first round THIS YEAR was ******ed.

Cynical -- sorry, I have been MIA the last few days and wasn't going to read through the 9091808923 posts. ;)

Voltron
04-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman

Great question: are we looking towards next year (2005) already? IMO, we gave up too many picks to get Losman.

I don't think so. In the buisness of sports you ALWAYS want to look 3 to 4 years into the future. How many times has Washington now tried to buy there way to a super bowl and pass out draft picks for players? They end up at the same place every year. A bunch of old has beens and no youth for these old players to teach. It is a huge waste and Snyder is just now starting to see it. I think we gave up too much BUT we have to take into consideration that we may have a chance to get a first rounder for henry next year if WM works out this year. And we also have to worry about the fact that Drew will be owed a lot of money if we keep him past this year.

Tatonka
04-25-2004, 12:13 PM
again.. just like yesterday.. this article is incorrect.. first off.. losman was NOT going to be there in the 2nd round. the packers were going to select him.

also, we did NOT give up 4 picks.. like that idiot clayton stated..

we traded next years first rounder for a 1st rounder this year.. and gave up a 2nd and a 5th to do so.

Billsouth
04-25-2004, 12:16 PM
i dont necessarily agree that the bills gave up too much. first, its not like we swaped 1sts this year. we swaped ours for next year for theirs this year. we also gave up a 2 and a 5.

cleveland gave detroit its 1 and 2 to move up 1 spot.

the giants gave their 1 this year and next year and a 3 and a 5 to move up 3 spots.

we moved up from the mid 40's to the mid 20s.

i do not think it was that big of a price for that pick.

my bigger concern is whether losman is a winner and not another rob johnson.

Bill Brasky
04-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Billsouth

i do not think it was that big of a price for that pick.

my bigger concern is whether losman is a winner and not another rob johnson.

if he doesn't work out then it was a big price for that pick

Tatonka
04-25-2004, 12:20 PM
if he doesn't work out then it was a big price for that pick

and if he is brett farve, then we paid next to nothing.

Michael82
04-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
again.. just like yesterday.. this article is incorrect.. first off.. losman was NOT going to be there in the 2nd round. the packers were going to select him.

also, we did NOT give up 4 picks.. like that idiot clayton stated..

we traded next years first rounder for a 1st rounder this year.. and gave up a 2nd and a 5th to do so.

OR the Rams.... :D

B-DON
04-25-2004, 12:41 PM

and if he is brett farve, then we paid next to nothing.

exactly

Jan Reimers
04-25-2004, 05:11 PM
The draft is always a crap shoot, and there are no guarantees with ANY particular pick. I like our overall philosophy, however. We drafted to fix the offense.

TedMock
04-25-2004, 05:23 PM
We're also going to end up with an extra pick next season.....hopefully. I don't see our two RB's being on the same team come 2005. Most likely, we'll end up trading Henry for an extra second round pick or maybe even a low first. This is all on the assumption that McGahee's healthy but we'll see.

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Exactly what I was going to say.

Dozerdog
04-25-2004, 05:29 PM
I agree with you. I think we jumped the gun here. Giving up 3 picks, one of which is probalby going to be a high first rounder next year, for a QB that late in the first round THIS YEAR was ******ed.

Cynical -- sorry, I have been MIA the last few days and wasn't going to read through the 9091808923 posts. ;)

Lookm what Cleveland gave up to move 1 friggin' spot- a first and a second. Granted- that was stupid on their part- bu the price was set.