PDA

View Full Version : Did the Bills give up more then the Giants?

hintexas
04-25-2004, 12:35 PM
The ESPN announcer in studio just said that the Bills gave more to the Cowboys then the Chargers got from New York for Manning. Is this true? Isnt a first from the Giants and Rivers better then a 2nd 5th and 1st from the Bills?

nolimit
04-25-2004, 12:39 PM
we jumped 22 spots. the giants jumped 3.

Tatonka
04-25-2004, 12:43 PM
the giants first rounder will be worth alot more than ours as well. :D

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 12:43 PM
The Giants got the better of the deal than the Chargers IMO. Taking the difference in talent off the table for a moment, SD will have to pay #1 money to Rivers, whereas NY will pay 4th money to Manning who (according to most) is worth #1 money.

Hard to compare our trade with the Giants since we don't know what our pick will be next year. However you can talk about the risk of our trade in comparison and IMO, our risk was greater. More importantly though, it is the fact that we lost Ben that makes the trade hard to swallow more than anything else.

DraftBoy
04-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by nolimit

Exactly, btw nice sig :cheers:

matt
04-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Not only did we jump 22 spots we only gave up one first, the Giants gave up 2. This yeears (rivers) and next years. We retained this years first. I dont think Kiper and Hodge know what they are talking about. If they did they would be some teams GM. On the flip side both Jaws, and Simms, (both NFL pro bowl QBs) liked the move. Oh and by the way many teams around the league hire Jaws to help young QBs grow, so he may know what he is talking about. Kiper never has played the game and Hodge although a decsent RB has never done anything to help build a team.

Michael82
04-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by nolimit

EXACTLY!

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by matt
Not only did we jump 22 spots we only gave up one first, the Giants gave up 2. This yeears (rivers) and next years. We retained this years first. I dont think Kiper and Hodge know what they are talking about. If they did they would be some teams GM. On the flip side both Jaws, and Simms, (both NFL pro bowl QBs) liked the move. Oh and by the way many teams around the league hire Jaws to help young QBs grow, so he may know what he is talking about. Kiper never has played the game and Hodge although a decsent RB has never done anything to help build a team.
:bf1:

:moon:Kiper and Hoge

STAMPY
04-25-2004, 06:20 PM
giants gave up rivers, a number 2 and a number 1 next year
bills gave up number 2 and number 5... cross off next years 1, as we got the cowboys 1 this year

helmetguy
04-25-2004, 07:03 PM
How was our risk greater than the Giants? I'm confident that we'll finish better than the Giants, which means the Giants gave up a higher pick in the round that we have. If the coaching staff we have has even a modicum of competence, we should come out on top in several of the kinds of games we let slip through our fingers last year.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
It can be debated that because the Giants got Manning - the projected #1 of the Big 3 QBs - that they had less risk than we do with Losman who didn't grade out as high.

I won't say who is right or wrong as that will just start more arguments. There is no right or wrong. It is opinion on which QB has more chance for success.

Fat Tony
04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Manning is still the first pick in the draft, and is slotted that way. He will make the bigger bucks.
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
The Giants got the better of the deal than the Chargers IMO. Taking the difference in talent off the table for a moment, SD will have to pay #1 money to Rivers, whereas NY will pay 4th money to Manning who (according to most) is worth #1 money.

Hard to compare our trade with the Giants since we don't know what our pick will be next year. However you can talk about the risk of our trade in comparison and IMO, our risk was greater. More importantly though, it is the fact that we lost Ben that makes the trade hard to swallow more than anything else.

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Fat Tony
Manning is still the first pick in the draft, and is slotted that way. He will make the bigger bucks.

I think Manning and Rivers will get payed like #1.

helmetguy
04-25-2004, 07:17 PM
I agree with you there, Cynical. Unless the Giants (in general) and Collins (in particular) don't perform dramatically better this year under Coughlin, I can see Manning having to take the helm earlier than Coughlin would like; meaning that Manning might be in for a painful rookie season. The same could be said for the Bills and Losman, as well. My gut tells me that we're in a better situation, in that our defense will give us a better chance to win than will the Giants'.